PDA

View Full Version : Recovering from panic disorder

nobot87
06-12-2014, 06:57 PM
Hey guys! So I've been suffering with a panic disorder for about 5 months now, and it's been 2 weeks since the last time I had a massive panic attack! Which is a huge victory for me. But I still have the occasional anxiety symptoms like chest pain, rush of fear, and light headedness. I have these symptoms especially when I'm working. I've learned how to not let them escalate into panic attacks, but I was wondering will the symptoms eventually become less frequent after not having a panic attack for so long?

Evanchic
06-12-2014, 10:09 PM
For me the symptoms are less frequent. Sometimes I wonder why I'm not having any lol it became so much of my daily life it's almost strange for them to dissipate. Then I'll get angry or upset and that dern chest pain will return and my tingling hands with nausea and dizziness and I think... there it is lol It feels good NOT having symptoms all the time. :)

nobot87
06-13-2014, 07:41 AM
It was mostly because I get used to panic attacks. I remember all those times I rushed to the hospital thinking "This is it, im going to die", just to be released 30 minutes later. Keeping a journal and recording every attack helps this process so much. Also I keep an hour long Guided Meditation recording around, and when I feel really anxious I just pop in the headphones and listen to it until I feel more relaxed. Another thing that helps is I will stop whatever it is I'm doing, sit down, close my eyes, and put my fingers to my temples like I'm Professor Xavier and I tell myself "You're experiencing some symptoms but you are okay. You are not in any danger. These are just harmless symptoms that will eventually pass." Saying it inside your head is a lot more relaxing than out loud.

When I first started suffering with panic attacks, I can't help being concerned about my heart, heart rate, blood pressure, blood sugar... basically thinking about everything regarding the Circulatory system. But when I learned more about anxiety and started to think more in terms about Neurotransmitters and recepters while I'm having an attack, it becomes less scary. I also had a bad habit of taking an Ativan or Valium during every attack. Yeah they kind of made me feel better, but the days and weeks after I take them I became extremely sensitive to anxiety which lead to more triggers. So laying off of Ativan and Valium helps so much!

av1988
06-13-2014, 07:47 AM
I totally see your point, nobot87. I've become so reliant on my anxiety pills that when an attack starts, I freak out trying to find my medication rather than dealing with it. So now, it makes my attacks worse when I run out.
This forum is very helpful in keeping me cool though. Thanks for sharing.

nobot87
06-13-2014, 02:41 PM
It seems like in a lot of hospitals, if you go in with a panic attack, they will pump your veins with Valium then give you a prescription with Valium, then when your prescription runs out they talk you into being on Prozac or Xanax. And those pills are waaaay more addictive than Valium and Ativan. You would prolly be stuck with them for a long time.

Exactice
06-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Ive had panic attacks here and there but I had a full blown one about 8 months ago. Now I am just slowly taking my time healing/recovering. My symptoms have really dissipated and I dont think I have had a panic attack in months. I still to have anxiety and sometimes those "feels" rush in, but the subside on its on pretty quickly.

I think at this point, panic and anxiety will never go away completely as we have become aware of it. But the only difference now is how we can deal with them if and when they do come on.

Fourteen14
06-13-2014, 03:08 PM
It seems like in a lot of hospitals, if you go in with a panic attack, they will pump your veins with Valium then give you a prescription with Valium, then when your prescription runs out they talk you into being on Prozac or Xanax. And those pills are waaaay more addictive than Valium and Ativan. You would prolly be stuck with them for a long time.

Valium, Xanax and Ativan are all benzodiazepine medications (sedatives) and equally all have the potential for addiction. They are normally given for short term relief of panic.

Prozac is an anti depressant designed for long term use, it does have some side effects when withdrawing, but isn't addictive, hence why it is a preferred prescription for GPs

Ankhsious
06-14-2014, 03:26 PM
The wisdom is to not amplify the panic attack but to just observe where in the body you are feeling it. For me it is my chest thumping and tingling in my arms. I try to laugh about it. If that doesn't work then slow breathing and counting down from 99 helps.

The sure way to make it worse is to ask 'why me' and solve your life situation puzzle at that moment.