PDA

View Full Version : Odd situation

superchick22684
06-12-2014, 02:06 PM
So just in the last half hour I found out about something that is kind of an odd situation that I've never really encountered before. I live and work in a fairly small community so I know a lot of people through my job (I work in media). A local business owner that is very well known in the community passed away this morning. The publication that I work for has done advertising/business with her. The business I work for is also a member of the local chamber and the business owner was very active in the Chamber.
The awkward/odd situation is that I dated her grandson for a few months last year and he dumped me (mainly because of my anxiety). On a professional level I feel a responsibility to attend at least the visitation because the business owner was someone that I worked with on a business level. On a personal level I don't feel comfortable attending due to the fact that my ex will be there with his family and his girlfriend (if he's dating someone new, we did not stay in contact after the breakup).
I know that if I go that I will be experiencing anxiety due to the fact that it would be way awkward but as I said previously on a professional level there's almost a social responsibility to do so. Thoughts??

Anne1221
06-12-2014, 08:07 PM
How important to your job is it that you attend? how much anxiety will you experience by going? You have to weigh out the two things. If it's going to be very hard to attend, and cause you a lot of anxiety and it won't affect your job,etc. Just consider all the pros and cons.