PDA

View Full Version : Are there other meds to keep you calm besides benzos? HELP

Shakey
05-25-2008, 12:31 PM
I have taken clanazapam and Lorazapam (Ativan) (benzodiazepines) which cause breast pain and tenderness after about 3 weeks. (I am a male)

The only SSRI I tried was Celexa which I was on at the same time so dropped as well so I do not know if this causes breast tenderness but I am assuming it does as it has it as a side effect.

I have read about Propanonol for acute anxiety but am wondering how effective it is? It is a beta blocker so I am assuming that it does not have the same side effects.

Thank you kindly for taking the time to read my post and any advice or insight is most greatly appreciated.

I see my Dr this week and am hoping to ask him about something else I can try.

RabidBadger
05-25-2008, 05:25 PM
There is a drug similar to Celexa called Lexapro. It has fewer side-effects.

Chris

cvoor
05-28-2008, 02:37 PM
I take toprol xl, it also is a beta blocker,and has worked great for me. It was originally prescribed to me for high blood pressure, and rapid heart rate. It does make you very tired, but does wonders for my anxiety. Propranol is similar, just a different blocker. I also tried Celexa but it increased my anxiety with stomach upset. SSRI"S tend to give me heightened anxiety.

rbx
06-06-2008, 05:24 PM
I tried paxil, zoloft, ativan, buspar, propranolol, clonopin, celexa and other anxiety meds over about 6 years. I finally wound up addicted to xanax. Now I can't go near benzo's.

I've been taking relaxane for about 2 months now because it's not addictive. It's great for attacks. It's available anywhere, but Johnson Drug gave me a phone consultation before I started taking it.

Shakey
07-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the responses. Two questions...

Cvoor,
Is Metroprolol taken regularly or only as needed, as in at the beginning of an anxiety attack? Have you taken Ativan or any benzo's in the past and if so, how does this copare in performance?

rbx,
Do you know if this product is available in Canada? HOw long did it take before you noticed any improvements? Is this ok to take with other prescription medication?

Thanks again!

cvoor
07-15-2008, 10:35 AM
I"ve taken Xanax, and will never touch that again. I developed a tolerance to it within 2 wks, and was getting rebound anxiety that was horrible, got off, and had severe withdrawals, like I've never had on anything before. So I don't touch benzo's. I take toprol xl, and so far it works fine for me, when nothing else does. Antidepressants, I don't last any longer than a wk or two, because of the severe anxiety, and stomach problems they give me.