PDA

View Full Version : Struggling to cope daily

mcgrawfan93
06-02-2014, 08:41 PM
Ok, so my dad has stage 4 lung cancer, having a really hard time coping. He's been sick for a yr now and down prob 40plus pounds. I already have anxiety that is NOT under control. Need some help dealing with this & ways to relax.
I wake in the night and fly out of bed not being able to breathe. Happens when I'm alone or with someone. My boyfriend tries to help, but really doesn[t understand. He doesn't let anything bother him.
My anxiety has gotten worse. I'm on different meds now and while they seemed to help for the past 2 months- I feel worse now. Have a hard time falling asleep, afraid i won't wake up. My breathing is shallow and not sure if this is due to anxiety or asthma. Hard to get deep breaths. Very scary. New symptom- feel all warm and tingling throughout my body. Terrible feeling.
Everything feels strange in my head :(
Been to different doctors and they just think i need therapy to talk about things. I've tried this & it's not easy to tell others whats happening when I don[t understand/know myself.

Ritch
06-03-2014, 01:32 PM
You have a relative who is battling a major illness, it is not uncommon for someone with anxiety to begin experiencing physical sensations/symptoms.

The waking up and flying out of bed without being able to breathe to me describes waking into a panic attack. Obviously you will be experiencing a lot of stress and anxiety, but you are still experiencing them whilst you are asleep.

The shallow breathing could be either anxiety or asthma, but with how you are waking I'm inclined to say the shallow breathing is a result of anxiety and you are on the verge of panic.

Exercise could be beneficial to burn of the excess adrenaline caused by the anxiety but also to provide you with a release of the emotional/stressful time you are in. Meditation in my opinion would be great to help you relax, but you have to be persistent with it even if it does not provide immediate benefits. Diaphragmatic breathing would also be very helpful.

Ponder
06-04-2014, 02:30 PM
Ritch gives good advice there. I just want to say - I have also been under a huge amount of stress for the last six months during which time I have been struggling with Hives and many other related anxiety attacks,manifestations, suicidal tenancies and outbursts. In a last ditch effort to regain control, I have started Juicing and now making a sustained effort to target foods that work with my body. I how no followed up with a dedicated exercise program.

I am 45 years of age and obese. I have a long ways to go, however whilst still suffering I must say it is without a doubt that the exercise has improved my ability to face my anxiety considerably! I am again starting to go outside and even waved and said hello to another human being just yesterday, which is leaps and bounds for me. Up till this las ditch effort, I was becoming extremely agitated and flighty. I went back onto my meds which dull my mind and unbalances my body only to cause me more grief despite the initial doping.

For me, the dedicated exercise and mindful/focused healthy eating is by far the more effective route and is helping me to climb out of what others would regard as hell and or a Satanic attack. LOL ... and I can laugh - because I'm now on Day Fifteen of my regimented recovery plan and whilst still breaking out in this or that rash - I am feeling more in control than I have in years ... since I last ate healthy and exercised without the need for synthetics. -> (Take them if you need them - my body parts are no longer that tolerant of such chemicals and sid effects are common with me - I use them only as a PRN - that is to say, I dose up during crisis situations with the intent Not to rely on them -each to their own "my wife loves me to stay on them, however I see that more as a point of ease for herself rather than a long term fix - PRN - works fine for me.)

For Me - Ritch hit the Nail on the Head regarding exercise. I'm no young buck and still in a poor state of health - but with regards to anxiety attacks - Sustained Exercise Defiantly Works!

needtogetwell
06-04-2014, 03:10 PM
Ritch and Dave hit the nail on the head.

How you feed your brain and body, and how you move it can do nothing but benefit any anxiety sufferer.

I too am feeding my body exceptionally well and it helps. Going to move on to the exercise component as my current health issues allow.

mcgrawfan93
06-04-2014, 06:30 PM
What is Diaphragmatic breathing?
any special diet that would help?

Ritch
06-04-2014, 06:58 PM
This is an example of diaphragmatic breathing with a little mindfulness, I have copied this from one of my previous posts.

I would advise laying in bed with your hands on your stomach and concentrate solely on your breathing. So when you breathe in push your stomach out (this allows the diaphragm to expand)if your finger tips are just touching when you are relaxing when you breathe out your stomach should stop them touching, then breathe in through your nose (stomach goes back to how it is usually not pulled in and fingers tips will touch again) and repeat. This is called diaphragmatic breathing, but the key is to focus your attention on your breathe. So feel the oxygen entering your nose, down your throat into your lungs and vise versa when breathing out. If your mind begins to wander, when you realise it has wandered say to yourself "I'm not thinking about that because I am focusing on my breathing" then return your attention to your breathing. If you practice this religiously it will help you relax and help relieve symptoms.