PDA

View Full Version : Skipped beats

Blessed
05-29-2014, 01:32 PM
Hope everyone is well! Have not been on in a while but could use some advise please . For past three days I have experienced skipped beats back to back and it's lasted the entire time. Normally it doesn't bother me as bad but it's really lasting a long time. My heart rate is normal but it's the feels like I need to gasp for air. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated

JohnC
05-29-2014, 05:50 PM
Have you tried the breathing thing? Are you still feeling it?

JamieNewell2006
05-29-2014, 06:10 PM
Have you had tests done to see if there is an actual problem? I had skipped beats, I still have them once a day... But there slowly vanishing.

Evanchic
05-29-2014, 06:17 PM
ER doc told me to cross my arms over my chest, bend over, hold breath for 10-15 sec. That's suppose to reset the rhythm. Sometimes I've had to do it more than once but it did work.

jessed03
05-29-2014, 06:20 PM
Blessy!

Some legit advice already.

One idea, try and avoid junk in your diet. Especially colourings, and preservatives. They can really bring on heart palps in sensitive people. Infact, if I drink diet soda, the additives in that can make me feel how you are now. Just like that, they can turn me from feeling fine to a pounding chest with skipped beats and breathlessness.

NixonRulz
05-29-2014, 06:27 PM
C'mon Blessed. Really?

You are gasping for air because you are not breathing correctly

That is what causes palpitations in the first place!

Blessed
05-30-2014, 06:46 PM
This has lasted since Tuesday. I have went ALL MONTH Long without an Ativan and had to take one tonight I've tried holding my breath, walking etc but I do notice if I'm busy I don't notice near as much

Blessed
05-30-2014, 06:48 PM
Is it safe or normal for them to be so constant for so long?

wanipuk
05-30-2014, 07:03 PM
They could be ectopic beats there harmless I have them every day

Blessed
06-10-2014, 07:12 PM
What. Causes your heart to skip every third beat several times in a row ? I can sitting doing nothing and does it out of the blue?

ab123
06-11-2014, 01:33 AM
Get your electrolytes checked. Otherwise. Stress and yes you can have thousands a day and be no problem.

PanicCured
06-11-2014, 01:42 AM
This has lasted since Tuesday. I have went ALL MONTH Long without an Ativan and had to take one tonight I've tried holding my breath, walking etc but I do notice if I'm busy I don't notice near as much

Blessed, you need to go to a doctor and get it checked out. All of a sudden your heart is beating irregular consistently since last Tuesday and you have not gone to a doctor yet? I simply can't understand this. There are many types of irregular heart rhythms. Some are serious and some are totally benign and meaningless. But how can you know this by asking people on an internet forum? Go to a doctor, and he will refer you to a cardiologist or go to a cardiologist directly. Then he will tell you if it is a concern or not. I am not trying to get you worried, but this is reality. You got to get it checked out. If all tests come out normal then you will know for certain it is not dangerous and continue to find other ways to deal with this.

JamieNewell2006
06-11-2014, 07:17 AM
Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. When I'm working and/or distracted it doesn't happen. But when I relax, it does it like twice and then that's it... It's weird. But I've had a complete blood test done, cardiac ct scan, chest x-ray and been monitored via blood pressure monitor... It all came back normal.

PathFinderGrl
06-11-2014, 11:18 AM
OMG! I've been experiencing the exact same thing last few days! I just posted about it a couple of days ago. I had a stressful day on Monday, & starting feeling the skipped beats bad that day. They've gotten better, but I'm still feeling them. I have high BP & sinus tachycardia already (which I'm on meds for. All heart tests normal so far), but still get these sometimes. They've been worse lately. I'm 33/ female. They're annoying...

NervousNiki
06-11-2014, 11:28 AM
Also been happening to me. They've happened on and off for a long time. When it happens, my first thought is not one of anxiety but, well you know. I've never had an abnormal EKG. Its just something that happens (and probably to most everyone at some point but they don't dwell on it like we do) that has become a trigger for elevated anxiety.

Im-Suffering
06-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Hope everyone is well! Have not been on in a while but could use some advise please . For past three days I have experienced skipped beats back to back and it's lasted the entire time. Normally it doesn't bother me as bad but it's really lasting a long time. My heart rate is normal but it's the feels like I need to gasp for air. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated

For all of you, from a medical professional in regards to his patients:

The inability for most patients to simply set their fears aside regarding benign palpitations is due to the fact that have pre-conceived notions about what the range of consequences will be, often all fatal in nature. They also are unable to move ahead based solely on the word of their physician because the symptoms persist despite the fact the "nothing" is wrong. This is an extremely difficult hurdle for most patients, who typically fall back to their irrational fears of the consequences.

The truth about benign palpitations is that they do not originate from within the heart and are not derived from pathology of the cardiovascular system as well. They merely constitute an inappropriate stimulation of the heart by the vagus nerve as a consequence of significant anxiety or stress.

So that you understand precisely what is taking place, you need to realize that all persons have experienced palpitations of this type, only they don't recognize them to be pathological in any sense because of the context in which they occur. By example, you've certainly heard people who have been suddenly startled or frightened exclaim "Gosh, that made my heart skip a beat!" or "That almost made my heart stop!" What these people are all describing is a palpitation event induced by vagus nerve stimulation. Following the experience, these people do not subsequently think that something is wrong with their heart because the event occurred within a context that is reasonable and to some extent, expected. In fact, it has occurred on previous occasions with the same result, so it is deemed as inconsequential because it produced no detrimental outcome.

Well, the very same circumstances are occurring with people who suffer benign palpitations on a more frequent schedule. The difference is that they are occurring in a context unfamiliar to the individual and therefore, cannot be connected to a rational cause. They are subsequently construed to be symptoms or warning signs of heart disease of some type.

The palpitations are still being induced by fear, but it is a variant that it chronic and suppressed rather than immediate and overt. Realize that certain responses by the brain take place regardless of whether the threat is immediate and identifiable or contrastly more prolonged and unidentifiable. Physiological changes take place because the brain is attempting to prepare the body to either fend off the threat or escape from it. This is a genetic predisposition in all human beings.

The problem is that these changes in physiology are taking place in the presence of a perceived threat rather than a real one. Vigilence to the physiological manifestations are common and are universally construed as symptoms that something is wrong. Thus, continuous visits to the doctor's office and a trail of medical tests reveal nothing, yet the affected individual remains convinved that something is indeed wrong because their "symptoms" won't abate and it reinforces their fears.

The reason that your tests are negative is because nothing is wrong with you. You are misinterpreting physiological changes that are manifesting in response to fear as symptoms of disease. You must come to understand that you are making a mistake and that your instincts are incorrect. Diagnostic tests are incredibly accurate in their ability to identify true markers of pathology. It's not simply a hit or miss process, wherein trouble evades detection.

The reason that the palpitation events subside when you are under evaluation by your doctor is that sympathetic tone becomes dominant, subsequently suppressing wayward parasympathetic responses of the type capable of producing the palpitation events. True pathology does not behave in this manner. If it's present at all, it remains regardless of whether you are under direct examination. Patents become overly frustrated by this manifestation largely because they have concluded that their doctor absolutely must see the abnormality to understand it.

Realize that we're looking for things which would constitute the underlying cause of the palpitation and not the event itself. If the cause is not present, then the palpitations are benign and therefore are not required to be visualized to know their type. It remains a major problem for persons with anxiety in that they develop fear and apprehension based upon their own interpretations of what is taking place, actually forming truths about these interpretations despite their gross inaccuracy.

You are free to exercise as much as you wish because the heart is not under any type of excess strain and the palpitation events are entirely incapable of inducing any type of harm, nor can they cause weakness or damage to the heart muscle or impair its performance. Your conjecture and subsequent apprehension is based upon irrational fears and lack of scientific understanding of what is actually taking place. It is entirely inaccurate to associate a vagus nerve induced palpitation with a pathological arrhythmia.

Your heart is fine and what you believe to be occurring is entirely the byproduct of irrational fear and subjective conclusions which have absolutely no basis in medical fact.

Best regards and Good Health

NervousNiki
06-11-2014, 11:59 AM
For all of you, from a medical professional in regards to his patients:

The inability for most patients to simply set their fears aside regarding benign palpitations is due to the fact that have pre-conceived notions about what the range of consequences will be, often all fatal in nature. They also are unable to move ahead based solely on the word of their physician because the symptoms persist despite the fact the "nothing" is wrong. This is an extremely difficult hurdle for most patients, who typically fall back to their irrational fears of the consequences.

The truth about benign palpitations is that they do not originate from within the heart and are not derived from pathology of the cardiovascular system as well. They merely constitute an inappropriate stimulation of the heart by the vagus nerve as a consequence of significant anxiety or stress.

So that you understand precisely what is taking place, you need to realize that all persons have experienced palpitations of this type, only they don't recognize them to be pathological in any sense because of the context in which they occur. By example, you've certainly heard people who have been suddenly startled or frightened exclaim "Gosh, that made my heart skip a beat!" or "That almost made my heart stop!" What these people are all describing is a palpitation event induced by vagus nerve stimulation. Following the experience, these people do not subsequently think that something is wrong with their heart because the event occurred within a context that is reasonable and to some extent, expected. In fact, it has occurred on previous occasions with the same result, so it is deemed as inconsequential because it produced no detrimental outcome.

Well, the very same circumstances are occurring with people who suffer benign palpitations on a more frequent schedule. The difference is that they are occurring in a context unfamiliar to the individual and therefore, cannot be connected to a rational cause. They are subsequently construed to be symptoms or warning signs of heart disease of some type.

The palpitations are still being induced by fear, but it is a variant that it chronic and suppressed rather than immediate and overt. Realize that certain responses by the brain take place regardless of whether the threat is immediate and identifiable or contrastly more prolonged and unidentifiable. Physiological changes take place because the brain is attempting to prepare the body to either fend off the threat or escape from it. This is a genetic predisposition in all human beings.

The problem is that these changes in physiology are taking place in the presence of a perceived threat rather than a real one. Vigilence to the physiological manifestations are common and are universally construed as symptoms that something is wrong. Thus, continuous visits to the doctor's office and a trail of medical tests reveal nothing, yet the affected individual remains convinved that something is indeed wrong because their "symptoms" won't abate and it reinforces their fears.

The reason that your tests are negative is because nothing is wrong with you. You are misinterpreting physiological changes that are manifesting in response to fear as symptoms of disease. You must come to understand that you are making a mistake and that your instincts are incorrect. Diagnostic tests are incredibly accurate in their ability to identify true markers of pathology. It's not simply a hit or miss process, wherein trouble evades detection.

The reason that the palpitation events subside when you are under evaluation by your doctor is that sympathetic tone becomes dominant, subsequently suppressing wayward parasympathetic responses of the type capable of producing the palpitation events. True pathology does not behave in this manner. If it's present at all, it remains regardless of whether you are under direct examination. Patents become overly frustrated by this manifestation largely because they have concluded that their doctor absolutely must see the abnormality to understand it.

Realize that we're looking for things which would constitute the underlying cause of the palpitation and not the event itself. If the cause is not present, then the palpitations are benign and therefore are not required to be visualized to know their type. It remains a major problem for persons with anxiety in that they develop fear and apprehension based upon their own interpretations of what is taking place, actually forming truths about these interpretations despite their gross inaccuracy.

You are free to exercise as much as you wish because the heart is not under any type of excess strain and the palpitation events are entirely incapable of inducing any type of harm, nor can they cause weakness or damage to the heart muscle or impair its performance. Your conjecture and subsequent apprehension is based upon irrational fears and lack of scientific understanding of what is actually taking place. It is entirely inaccurate to associate a vagus nerve induced palpitation with a pathological arrhythmia.

Your heart is fine and what you believe to be occurring is entirely the byproduct of irrational fear and subjective conclusions which have absolutely no basis in medical fact.

Best regards and Good Health

Thank you. I will be referring to this often.

Im-Suffering
06-11-2014, 01:10 PM
Thank you. I will be referring to this often.

You are welcome !

ab123
06-11-2014, 01:24 PM
You are welcome !

I have had benign palpitations, and i have had palpitations because my electrolytes were off balance and i had low potassium which needed to be corrected. As you are correct, any increase in symptoms should always be looked at.

PanicCured
06-11-2014, 01:33 PM
What are you guys doing here? From what I read, this person is saying out of nowhere her heart is beating irregular non stop for a week! If I read this correctly, this is not the occasional skipped beat or simple anxiety she is talking about and needs to be evaluated by a doctor immediately! What if she is having atrial fibrillation? Who knows what she has and why is she on an internet forum instead of seeing a doctor? Any sudden change in heart rhythm needs to be checked out. ESPECIALLY if it is happening all the time all day for a week! What is this advice here on anxiety and why does this person not go to a doctor? This is all very bizarre to me! Actually, this is ridiculous! There are many types of heart arrhythmias and the only way to know if it is dangerous or benign is to get it checked by a cardiologist. All other advice here is inappropriate!

PanicCured
06-11-2014, 01:34 PM
Is it safe or normal for them to be so constant for so long?
SEE A DOCTOR NOW! Nobody here is a cardiologist with an EKG hooked up to your heart. WTF?

Blessed
06-12-2014, 05:40 PM
What are you guys doing here? From what I read, this person is saying out of nowhere her heart is beating irregular non stop for a week! If I read this correctly, this is not the occasional skipped beat or simple anxiety she is talking about and needs to be evaluated by a doctor immediately! What if she is having atrial fibrillation? Who knows what she has and why is she on an internet forum instead of seeing a doctor? Any sudden change in heart rhythm needs to be checked out. ESPECIALLY if it is happening all the time all day for a week! What is this advice here on anxiety and why does this person not go to a doctor? This is all very bizarre to me! Actually, this is ridiculous! There are many types of heart arrhythmias and the only way to know if it is dangerous or benign is to get it checked by a cardiologist. All other advice here is inappropriate!

I have been to a cardiologist too many times to count. I have dealt with anxiety for three years. I have visited many docs as well as the emergency room. I have had numerous EKGs ECGs blood work, stress test, echocardiogram, and most recently had EKG done a month ago. Also hooked up to holster monitor for three weeks. My cardiologist has assured me that I am fine. But when I had a week like these past two weeks full of heart palps it scares me all over again. Just needed to come on here and get some tips or advice.

Im-Suffering
06-12-2014, 06:16 PM
I have been to a cardiologist too many times to count. I have dealt with anxiety for three years. I have visited many docs as well as the emergency room. I have had numerous EKGs ECGs blood work, stress test, echocardiogram, and most recently had EKG done a month ago. Also hooked up to holster monitor for three weeks. My cardiologist has assured me that I am fine. But when I had a week like these past two weeks full of heart palps it scares me all over again. Just needed to come on here and get some tips or advice.

Print out the post on the previous page from the Dr., frame it and hang it on the wall, refer to it often.

PanicCured
06-12-2014, 07:27 PM

Ok well, that information would have been helpful for us. That is not what you said. You said all of a sudden a week ago you got skipped beats in every minute that would not stop for 1 week. You said it was almost every other beat for a whole week. You made it like this came out of nowhere. Did you have this problem before back when you did all those tests at the cardiologist or is this a new event? If it really just started a week ago and it is new, than you should go back to a doctor. If it is the same thing you had before and all tests were normal than that is different. I was under the impression this is a new thing for you that just began last week.

I don;t know if this is the source of your problem or not, but I do know over breathing and hyperventilating will definitely make them worse and definitely make you feel your breathing is worse. You do not want to over exhale CO2. Research Buteyko breathing. But again, if this is a new thing or a worsening of symptoms, I think you should see a doctor.

Blessed
06-13-2014, 05:09 PM
Sorry my apologies was just in a panic when I wrote it. I have had these palps off and on since my first real bad panic attack three years ago. It comes and goes like today I'm dive then a all the sudden I start skipping every third beat when I quit thinking about it it subdides

willheal
06-14-2014, 02:23 AM
I've been getting these a lot more lately. Happens more frequently when I'm coming off a medication or *especially* when I haven't gotten enough sleep.

Edit: Hey, just the mention of them and I'm getting them right now! Whoops