PDA

View Full Version : How can I be sure whether or not I have OCD?

Lothlorien
05-24-2014, 01:43 PM
I know I had severe OCD when I was little. Though I was not diagnosed with it, I really think I had it and outgrew most of it. I've read that OCD typically grows worse and not better if untreated, but it got better for me. I still have some symptoms, but they could be depression symptoms. I obsess over one thing or another and get very upset about it. For example, I made a very stupid mistake almost a year ago--a completely harmless mistake, mind you. But to this day I keep ruminating about why I did it in the hope that I will gain some insight. Though I know I won't, and I know obsessing over the mistake will only make me depressed, I still think about it. Okay, that could be depression, but then there's my obsession with people's ages. When I meet someone, online or in person, I'm always plotting a scheme to find out his/her age or looking people up on background check websites. This has been going on continually for over four and a half years. I love the feeling I get when I do learn someone's age, but I don't like it when I don't find out. When I was little and even sometimes now I obsess with counting. Before it used to be syllables as well, but not so much anymore. I also used to count in my head in multiples of a given number. I know many people with OCD count to calm themselves; for me, it was the opposite. I couldn't stop mentally counting and I got more and more upset as the numbers got larger, so I'd try to distract myself and throw myself off. I still can't stand a ticking clock and occasionally count the number of times I swallow saliva, which is pretty unpleasant when I obsess about it. I could go into more detail, but I think this is sufficient for now. By the way, I also think I have GAD, although, again, there's no diagnosis. So what do you all think?

Penguin
05-24-2014, 10:40 PM
i'm the same exact way with thinking i have OCD... i know i have it (95% sure) but i haven't been confirmed. my regular physician did say I have anxiety and referred me to a psychologist, but the psychologist visit sort of fell through. your best bet is to goto your family doctor if you want a definitive diagnosis and you really need something to help you manage your symptoms... but i think if you're managing well on a day to day basis and your OCD symptoms seem to get better, there isn't much of a point in going to the doctor.

Ritch
05-24-2014, 11:40 PM
I would visit a psychiatrist/psychologist who specializes in this particular area and possibly seek a second opinion from another doctor.

Lothlorien
05-25-2014, 05:03 AM
Thank you both. My symptoms are not that severe but they're still prominent. I can manage in life, though.

mandizzle
05-25-2014, 06:43 AM
I think the only way you can be certain is to see a doctor, psychiatrist, or psychologist and have them examine your symptoms. You can continue to ruminate whether you have it or not but self diagnosis is a pretty unhealthy habit to have. Beside, if the symptoms bug you in any way you could have them treated, and if they don't then at least you will know.

Lothlorien
05-25-2014, 07:03 AM
Thank you.