PDA

View Full Version : Hi! I'm new to this forum.

EBA
05-23-2014, 04:47 PM
Hi all. I just signed up on this forum today and would really like to meet some potential friends on here. A little about me...I have dealt with anxiety/depression for many many years (a matter of fact I remember feeling anxious even in kindergarten :-/) Anyways, throughout the years I have tried many different prescriptions and seen different therapists. I've come to the conclusion, after recently stopping Effexor, that these meds really are just band-aids and the side effects can be very nasty (I got hives while taking Zoloft...). I truly wish there were a cure for this disorder. It's a terrible thing that no one should have to go through. I guess my question for anyone who is interested, how do you cope with anxiety? Have you tried holistic approaches such as acupuncture? I am planning on making an appointment for a consult for acupuncture and really hope it helps. Anyways, I hope to hear back from someone. Take care.
-E

Anne1221
05-23-2014, 09:32 PM
A lot of people say meditation is very helpful in reducing anxiety.

Ritch
05-23-2014, 09:44 PM
I agree with anne :)

Meditation can potentially offer great relief. I'm particularly fond of mindfulness meditation, it is what some Buddhist monks have practiced for thousands of years. It can be very frustrating and does not yield immediate results but it can be very rewarding. I also think that doing things that you enjoy as often possible helps.

Diaphragmatic breathing also helps greatly along with exercise.

Anne have you ever tried meditation?

Anne1221
05-23-2014, 09:52 PM
No, but I think I may try it in the future. Right now the Buspar is helping me a lot!! I'm waiting to see if I will need to meditate after I get to the proper dosage of the Buspar.

Ritch
05-23-2014, 09:56 PM
Even if you feel you don't need to meditate it is still worth trying it could come in handy someday :)

I'm glad the buspar is helping you, it helped slow my racing thoughts down when I was taking it.

EBA
05-25-2014, 06:45 AM
I've tried meditation but I have issues with sticking something out so I can't say that I've really tried if that makes sense. I will have to check out the mindfulness meditation and give it a try. :)