PDA

View Full Version : Female only.... Increased Anxiety around those days....??

Hun
05-20-2014, 01:59 AM
Hey ladies,

This one is for you.. So for last 3 months i have been battling my anxiety and some fear of fear. Started taking my medicine about a month ago and about a week back i was feeling a bit better.. Overall improved, and yes determined to fight my anxiety from within.... But the week before my periods and even when they have started, I feel a bit panicky, over the edge. My fear of fear is strong, fearing the panic attacks again. Sort of have racing heart at almost the slightest thing..what is this.. :( Am only 25 So does any lady out there feel the same..??

P.s I also have some sort of tension in my neck and shoulder muscles...which goes till Jaws..makes me scared coz last time i had this thing after a panic attack. Dont know if they are linked, it is sort of slight swelling on shoulder and some tension in neck... Hope it goes away soon and doesnt scare me anymore...

MrsJ88
05-20-2014, 02:09 AM
I can't be of too much help cause I haven't had a period in 2 years due to being pregnant then breast feeding for over a year... But when I was having my periods I don't think I took the time to chart whether I had more anxiety/panic attacks near that time, but I have heard several women say they do get increased anxiety near the time their period is due.

Hun
05-20-2014, 02:34 AM
Thanks for ur reply.. forgot to mention that my what-if thoughts are high too ...

MrsJ88
05-20-2014, 02:39 AM
Thanks for ur reply.. forgot to mention that my what-if thoughts are high too ...

I understand that too, trust me. I have what if thoughts far too often

petrified
05-20-2014, 03:47 AM
Hi Hun

I go through what you are describing every month. Mine always starts up the week before and tends to calm down about 3 days into my period.

I also get the neck and jaw pain and I've even got this little lump that seems to swell up on my collar bone.

I always get the thoughts of doom around this time but they could range from anything to being afraid I'm dying to stress about bills. I always seem to blow it out of proportion.

You do sound like you have been doing amazingly well this is just your hormones acting up. I would suggest trying some evening primrose oil or capsules they might help with symptoms. But check they are ok with your doctor or pharmacist first.

Hannah

needtogetwell
05-20-2014, 04:00 AM
Hi Hun,

What you are experiencing is quite common and is likely hormone based. It is another element of PMS.

In a typical cycle the first half of the cycle estrogen levels rise, at ovulation, about half way through the cycle another hormone, progesterone is released, this hormone has a calming and balancing effect on the estrogen which can really excite the nervous system. Just before your period, the progesterone levels drop off so that you get a period if you are not pregnant. It is in these few days before estrogen drops off that many women feel anxious.

You may want to google PMS and anxiety, I think you will find many others who have the same difficulty. You may also find some strategies, possibly diet related that may be of some help.

I hope tho helps you a bit. I have done a great deal of research on hormones lately, I am a lot older than you and am perimenopaussal which really has my hormones out of kilter. I have realized that this cyclical increase in anxiety is not uncommon.

I hope this helps.
Pam

Hun
05-20-2014, 04:25 AM
Thank u lovely ladies... am glad am not alone... and i try to tell myself that it will be over soon.. Petrified you have exactly explained what i feel and it scares me.. I thought may be its a pinched nerve that can cause anxiety in me...or can do anything rong to my head...But am trying to tell myself that its nothing to do with me or my nerves..but is just a muscle thing..

Thank u Needtogetwell.. I m now quite sure hormones can do such things to women but my periods are here and its my 3rd day I wonder when will my hormones calm down again... Are there any special tips that u ladies follow..?

petrified
05-20-2014, 05:13 AM
Pamper yourself :-)

Loads of hot bubble baths with a good book and really look after yourself.

Put Epsom salts in your bath ^^^^ Pams great advice :-). It will help relax all the muscles in your body. Plus just keep telling yourself this will pass in a few days as its just your hormones.

Really wish I was a man sometimes lol :-)

Hun
05-20-2014, 05:24 AM
Hey thanks a lot hun... :) uhh what about this slight racing heart... starts pumping on slightest thing.. Does anyone feel ths too..??

needtogetwell
05-20-2014, 05:38 AM
Yes Hun, I get the racing heart thing too. I have found that increasing my magnesium intake, through Epsom salts bath and a calcium /magnesium supplement has helped enormously.

Hope you feel better soon

snowberry
05-20-2014, 11:01 AM
Hi hon,

You are not alone! I too am on my third day and am feeling shaky, nauseous and my muscles feel stiff. I have headache, jaw ache, you name it. I feel VERY 'out of it'. It's been this way the last couple of months. It's really horrible but, like petrified said, we need to keep reminding ourselves that it's just the hormones and it WILL go away in a couple of days.

I take a high dosage of evening primrose for hormonal pain and while it eases the pain in my breast tissue, I find it doesn't really do anything for my mood. I also tried magnesium and I can't say it did anything for me either. Not sure what to suggest.

Of course, right now I have a huge assignment due on Thursday so this is REALLY not the time to be feeling like this. :( Hoping I calm down enough this evening to make some progress.

Hun
05-21-2014, 02:49 AM
Thank u ladies.... Yes i m taking magnesium through a supplement..don't know how much it is helping me..but am trying to do at my own..and trying to say myself that it will ease with time. Also, trying to get some motivation from inside to push myself and say I am OK... its tough but need to try and keep doing it.

I hope u all feel perfectly well and hope the same for me too....