PDA

View Full Version : Having a panic attack and cant breathe help fast

EmetSoph
05-07-2014, 03:24 PM
PLEASE HELP QUICK! My mum and dad are asleep and I don't want to wake them just help me quick I cant breathe and im freaking out big time.

Exactice
05-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Deep Long breaths! Just like how you would be deep in sleep..... almost like a long funny snore =) Take nice long deep breaths

Secondly Look at your surroundings! You are safe, there is no danger right? You are just having a panic attack that is "Uncomfortable" not life threatening!

Keep breathing deep and long

Next ask yourself why you are having a panic attack... if its for no reason, tell yourself there is no reason, if there is a reason ask why, are you nervous about work? Did something scare you.

Its over now so you should be just fine!

hang in there, its temporary it will pass!!!!

petrified
05-07-2014, 04:15 PM
Great advice from exactice :-)

I usually grab a large glass of water sit myself down and sip it really slowly. This helps me refocus and the best thing to do is ride it out. So you learn not to fear them.

Hope you are doing better :-)

EmetSoph
05-29-2014, 04:39 PM
Hey sorry, i havent been on the site, but thank you for the advice i didnt read it on the night but could think how to reply to it because i was really panicking but thank you very much to the both of youxx

PanicCured
05-30-2014, 03:49 AM
I had big time breathing anxiety and I was hyperventilating all of the time. Read this about the Co2/O2 balance: http://www.patrickmckeown.net/panic-attacks.php

When I bought this Buteyko breathing book and CD, I learned that the more I breathe the less oxygen I get and the more CO2 I breathe out. When I really got that, within 5 days my anxiety was cut tremendously! Then when anxiety would hit, I would do the opposite of what I was taught, I would breathe less!

Please read that article!

"When one is overbreathing, carbon dioxide is removed from the body, causing the oxygen to "stick" to haemoglobin within the red blood cells. This prevents its release into tissues and organs. This bond, discovered in 1904, is known as the Bohr Effect.

It is worth noting that during normal conditions, 75% of your intake of oxygen is exhaled while breathing a healthy volume of four to six litres per minute. Even during intense exercise, it is estimated that 25% of our oxygen intake is exhaled. Breathing a volume greater than normal does not increase the amount of oxygen in your blood, as it is already 97–98% saturated."

PanicCured
05-30-2014, 03:52 AM
Deep Long breaths! Just like how you would be deep in sleep..... almost like a long funny snore =) Take nice long deep breaths

This is physiologically incorrect! Into your belly, yes, but not overbreathing. Many people tell you to breathe more with anxiety and it is just incorrect. The key is to not release too much carbon dioxide. It is explained perfectly in this article: http://www.patrickmckeown.net/panic-attacks.php

EmetSoph
05-30-2014, 04:10 AM
Ha, okay now im COMPLETELY confused.. My therapist got me to do this 4 by 4 thing.. Where you pause for 4 seconds between each inhale and exhale

PanicCured
05-30-2014, 04:45 AM
Ha, okay now im COMPLETELY confused.. My therapist got me to do this 4 by 4 thing.. Where you pause for 4 seconds between each inhale and exhale

Did you read the entire page I linked and read what I wrote? That should clear up any confusion. Just take the time to read it. Life changing information.

"Remember: The more you breathe in, the more your breathe out.

The more you breathe out, the more CO2 is washed from the lungs.

As CO2 is washed from the lungs, the partial pressure of CO2 is reduced in the blood, tissues and cells.

Prolonged overbreathing resets the respiratory centre in the brain to tolerate a lower partial pressure of CO2.

Therefore, even when the initial stress is removed, the heavy breathing habit is maintained as a result of chemoreceptors in the brain being reset.

An anxious person may attend many psychotherapists, counsellors, psychologists and psychiatrists in an effort to get to the root of his or her condition. However, unless chronic overbreathing is addressed, he or she will be at a significant disadvantage in making progress.

Level and correct breathing volume allows normalisation of the partial pressure of carbon dioxide within the lungs, thus improving oxygenation of the brain and resulting in far less brain cell excitability. "

EmetSoph
06-02-2014, 01:22 PM
I think i understand it? Imma bring it up with my therapist haha, but thanks!

PanicCured
06-02-2014, 04:16 PM
I think i understand it? Imma bring it up with my therapist haha, but thanks!

Please try this exactly as I wrote it here in your next panic attack. After, please send me a PM how it worked for you:

http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?9512-The-Quick-Guide-to-Stopping-Panic-Attacks

surpassit
06-02-2014, 06:35 PM
Hey paniccured,

Do you think you can PM me because im having trouble breathing and I just need more information and to hear from someone who had the same issue

Thanks

PanicCured
06-03-2014, 07:54 PM
Hey paniccured,

Do you think you can PM me because im having trouble breathing and I just need more information and to hear from someone who had the same issue

Thanks

Can you just follow step by step what I laid out here?
http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?9512-The-Quick-Guide-to-Stopping-Panic-Attacks
Can you really not breathe or you feel you can't take in a satisfying breathe? If you overbreathe and hyperventilate your body will try and slow down your breathing to balance you out, which can feel like you can;t breathe. The way to counterbalnce this anxiety feeling of can't take in a satisfying breathe is to underbreathe. You can read about how that works here: http://www.patrickmckeown.net/panic-attacks.php

But for now, just read that Quick Guide I wrote and follow it. Then report back here.

surpassit
06-03-2014, 08:22 PM
Okay that last linked really made sense ! I tried it and I feel fine ! Thank you sooooooo much for the link. Very calming and reassuring because i thought I had some sort of lung disease but im still going to the doctor to get things checked out just in case.

PanicCured
06-03-2014, 09:43 PM
Okay that last linked really made sense ! I tried it and I feel fine ! Thank you sooooooo much for the link. Very calming and reassuring because i thought I had some sort of lung disease but im still going to the doctor to get things checked out just in case.

Continue to do that quick guide everytime you panic and keep letting me know how it goes. Knowledge is power! Then you practice the knowledge.