PDA

View Full Version : Heart Palpitations

JamieNewell2006
05-05-2014, 06:15 PM
Has anyone ever dealt with this?

Scdg17
05-05-2014, 07:13 PM
Of course.

In moments of extreme anxiety or too much caffeine.

JamieNewell2006
05-05-2014, 07:19 PM
I have been having them on and off for about a month now. I wish it would stop.

Scdg17
05-05-2014, 07:49 PM
Have you considered going to get it checked out by a professional just to rule out that it's not something serious?

JamieNewell2006
05-05-2014, 07:57 PM
I've had several EKG's done, a complete blood test and a Cardiac CT scan. It all came back normal.

tony-
05-06-2014, 06:41 AM
my test came back normal too. my heart tend to race badly under anxiety it begins to hurt a little as if I'm having a heart attack. sometimes i wish it is one i don't recover from and just end the pain

trinidiva
05-06-2014, 06:54 AM
Yep...I have had Palps from time to time. I try my best to ignore...although I do know it is tough to. If you have had ekgs, cardiac stress test, etc done....and they came back normal, I wouldn't worry.

JamieNewell2006
05-06-2014, 02:13 PM
I didn't have a stress test done. All I had done was EKGs, complete blood work, chest x-ray, and a cardiac CT scan. All in which come back normal. Also, whenever someone listens to my heart beat they continue to tell me it's normal. Sometimes my heart races for no reason. I could be in bed, watching television and get a palpitation from no where. It scares me.

Do you think I should ask for a stress test, or halter monitoring?

ab123
05-06-2014, 06:27 PM
Jamie you are fine, i promise. Ask for it for peace of mind if you want.

ab123
05-06-2014, 06:28 PM
And get your potassium tested if they havent...

JamieNewell2006
05-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Thanks! Yeah! I find it happens most when I'm searching things that have to do with my heart and then I assume I have it...

JamieNewell2006
05-06-2014, 06:40 PM
Would potassium be checked in a complete blood test? Mine came back normal and my doctor went over it with me. She said all my electroides were excellent and that I have nothing to worry about because by all of the tests I'm as healthy as a horse. I just need to come to terms with it that I'm fine. It's just hard because when I Google something heart-associated, or thinking about my heart rate, or what not I have palpitations and it scares me.

Ritch
05-06-2014, 06:53 PM
I'm guilty of using google like everybody else here but my advice would be to stay away. Those tests have given you the answers so you don't need google, A beta blocker may be helpful and shouldnt give you severe side effects like the SSRI did.

ab123
05-06-2014, 07:53 PM
Yes potassium is an electrolyte, i get it going low sometimes so i get more palps.

JamieNewell2006
05-06-2014, 08:02 PM
I've had six or seven skipped beats today... Ugh, this is why I'm anxious...

Vikes
05-18-2014, 09:31 PM
Going through the same thing right now. Started having sudden palpitations out of nowhere about a month ago, accompanied by some rather nasty side effects (short of breath, pain, etc). At 26 years old, the doctor said something to me that led me to register with this site: it's probably anxiety.

I work in a stressful environment, one that runs counter to what I would also describe as social anxiety, and I've been a bit of a hypochondriac for some time now. I thought for sure that I had a heart tumour, or some rare cancer, or some lung/brain disorder that would certainly kill me. Sure, I can't rule that out, I suppose -- I am calling for my halter monitor results on Tuesday -- but it's something I can't stop thinking about all day long. If it is anxiety-reduced, I guess that isn't helping.

Point being that although this is may be one of the freakiest form of symptoms, I won't be at all surprised if anxiety is the culprit for you, for me, and for many others here. I'm trying to incorporate some more exercise into my day (I hear 21 days at something makes it a habit, and I've been stressing for far longer than that!), I'm doing my best to catch myself before I overreact to things, and I guess I'm just more aware that I might actually be suffering from anxiety and that it might actually be having deleterious effects on my health. The hypochondriac won't be happy until I hear about my results, no doubt, but awareness is hopefully the first step.

All of this is to say that it's somewhat reassuring to know that we are by no means the only people who can feel the pulse skip, really feel the heart catch up again, and then wonder if we're on the way out. Hearing your story helped me for a short moment, and I hope hearing mine may do the same.