PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and Psychosis???

side effects of life
05-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Anyone here ever hear of the chances of a person with anxiety and panic disorder becoming psychotic after giving birth? Being ok enough to be able to have children at some point is definitely one of my hurdles, but someone told me that the odds of psychosis occurring is much higher for anxiety sufferers. Any feedback would be appreciated. Much luck and strength to all of you out there...I'm so grateful for this forum.

Robbed
05-17-2008, 06:24 AM
Anxiety and psychosis are two compltely different things. Although MANY people with anxiety feel like they are goingto develop serious mental health conditions, it almost never happens. Plenty feel on the verge of 'losing it' or hearing voices. But all that ever really happens is being REALLY afraid of these things happening. That's about it.

frisby
05-17-2008, 08:17 PM
I never heard of that happening. What I learned is that people who become psychotic may have had anxiety as part of the psychotic condition but not the other way around.

MissCKC
05-19-2008, 05:54 PM
side effects of life,
I am soo glad that you posted this topic! I am not anywhere close to being ready to have children, but in another 4 or 5 years I would like to try. I am absolutely terrified of this though. I'm worried about developing post partum depression or being one of those mom's that is really unhappy. These are horrible things to be thinking about! I'm also worried about the actual labor itself or the possibility of a c section (because I am terrified of surgery). Ugghhh it's so frustrating. I don't even know why I am worrying about this now anyway, but I understand what you mean.