PDA

View Full Version : Odd triggers for Anxiety attacks

scatmantom
11-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Today I ordered my new mobile phone....and it triggered anxiety! Its only a stupid phone...but for some reason it made me worried. Its not the first wierd thing that has triggered my anxiety either. When my parents bought me a game boy when i was 12 i had a panic attack then too....but i was looking forward to getting it. Any1 hav any similar experiences with presents/purchases triggering a panic attack?

It must sound so wierd to alot of you....but im hoping som1 can relate to it :)

Angel
11-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Are you sure its a panik attack? Whenever i got new things i would get really really anxious and what not. BUT, if it was a panik attack, it might have been caused by the rush of adrenaline, and what not. Those CAN be avoiding, merely by telling yourself and your body that it is OK to be excited about things. When the time kalls for it, you should allow yourself to be excited and jittery or anxious about things.

I get really anxious while waiting for things. Such as getting a ride, or waiting for someone that i am giving a ride to. But i am just a really anxious person by nature, so i know when and when it is not normal to feel that way. ASlthough it does happen out of the blue and that is just something that i am going through in this period of my life, but even then i do productive things to allow all that adrenaline to run through my body. And i tell myself that it is just anxiety that will peak and go away and it is up to me whether or not i freak or not...and it goes away and i kontinue with my day...hope this helps

scatmantom
11-22-2005, 02:52 PM
cool thanks for the quick response.
Ive gotten worse since last time i was on. Im gonna try and get some sleep. Luckliy enough for me, tomorrow is the day i see my doctor, so i can talk to him about it.

Its so annoying. I had the same thing last year when i got a new phone...there is nothing for me to worry about. I always over come these stupid anxious phases, but each time it feels as tho Im not gong to get thru it. My concious brain is tellin me i will be fine...but the body wont listen as usual.

Hopefully this time tomorrow I will be fine :)

shoe
11-23-2005, 10:53 AM
well i get anxiety having people stare at me and expect responses from me when opening presents.. dont know if thats the same type of thing tho.

But when I buy new toys for myself I get pretty excited ;)

One odd place I get anxiety is playing video games (which I love). But when I know I've gotten so far and that any wrong move will cause me to lose all my progress up to that point, the nerves kick in hehe. Also when I get on Xbox Live games and wear the communicator headset to talk to others I get anxiety - but thats related to the social anxiety I have.

babycristy
11-23-2005, 04:57 PM
Well Turkey day is triggering my anxiety already :( But Im sure thats not too strange. Ive been doing good so far. When I get my anxiety, ive roughed it out and it eventually goes away. I even went to the doctor to take out blood today. But turkey day is killing my nerves here, let me tell ya! The dinner table is my main anxiety/panic spot. I think thats pretty wierd, I don't even go out to eat dinner anymore. Well, I reallllllly need to calm down about tomorrow, because the fact is that there is not way out of this one and I gotta get through it and have a pleasant time with the 30 people who will be joining us :shock: .....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Okay,calm down Cristy lol.... I need to meditate or something, maybe excercise.

11-23-2005, 06:31 PM
Wow Cristy, I can see how having to eat in front of 30 people would make you anxious I know it would me too. Yeah I am with you on the X-Box Live deal Shoe, although I do not play that, but I understand what you mean, I am the same way, expecially when I go to call someone on the phone, I sit and agonize about the call, and then debate weather or not to call them and think oh what if I will be calling at the wrong time or what if I don't know what to say...then I feel so dumb after I get done talking to someone, I sit and analyze what was said, and how I was perceived by the other person... and then think well things were not as bad as I thought they were gonna be. I am not sure if this has anything to do with anxiety, but just eating in front of other people makes me uncomfortable, I mean sure yeah I can sit and eat with my family but when it is with say someone like a friend or something it just makes me uncomfortable, I do not know why it just does. I too like you Angel get very anxious when I have to sit and wait for things like waiting in a waiting room, or waiting for a ride, I just hate having to go through with things that make my anxiety raise through the roof, so I usually try to avoid situations that make me feel that way.

babycristy
11-23-2005, 06:43 PM
yea, thats my main deal. I can pretty much cope with most situations and am a sociable person, I just have my moments. BUT the dinner table, even my own frightens me. I just feel as if everyone is staring at me and I need to say something. My hands get shaky, I drop my utensils alot, get clumsy, I feel faint, I feel as it this is never going to end, I get a really bad stomach ache(from the nervousness), my legs feel numb, I even get a knot in my throat that scares me bc I am afraid to choke. Its the feeling that I HAVE to sit down calmly until every person finishes eating that drives me nuts. Its not so much the amount of people that are with me, its just the act of eating with others around me. I can sit and talk to people in couches, or in classrooms, but NOT in a dinner table...

Could it be I have a phobia? I don't think so bc I get antsy at other strange places too, like the post office (longggg lines). Well, Ive had bad experiences in the dinner table where Ive had to leave restaurants numerous times bc I can't stand sitting through it. This is new to me bc until 3 months ago, I would eat at restaurants every weekend. And all of a suddent, while I was with my bf and his family..Boom! Theres goes a panic attack out of the clear blue sky. And from the embarrassment and fear of reoccurment I have built anxiety towards dinner tables.

I was actually thinking of getting a little tipsy before dinner so that I am more calm. I am not an alcoholic and have not drank for over a year, BUT I know it calms my nerves and makes me more relaxed and sociable. Do you have any good tips before the big day tomorrow? :)

11-23-2005, 08:29 PM
Well Cristy I am not sure what to say really or that I have any good advice for you, If drinking a little before dinner makes you more relaxed and sociable, then I would give that a try, I don't really know what else to say really, I guess just try not to worry about tomorrow, trust me I know how hard that can be, but I know I did hear you say "its worrying that make your anxiety higher." I am sorry that I cannot be of anymore help to you Cristy I feel like I have failed you, cause I really wish that I could have done more. Please let me know how things go for you tomorrow.

babycristy
11-25-2005, 04:27 PM
Chris,
Thanksgiving was awesome...well it was really good :lol:

At first, when I arrived at my boyfriend's full house, i was thinking "ahhh"! But...then I took a couple of drinks, and there was a band. Then my brother (who is in a band as well) started playing guitar and entertaining everyone, that was when I opened up and began to socialize and feel more comfortable. At the dinner table, no anxiety at all.

Its funny the way things work out sometimes you know...I can't explain what I did or did not do to take away my anxiety/panic that I usually get in a dinner table, but it wasn't there yesturday.

Thank God for that bc that would have ruined mine and everyone else's night.

I hope your Thanksgiving went well too and thanks for the advice! :wink:

11-27-2005, 11:46 AM
Wow Cristy that is GREAT NEWS!!!! I am so glad to hear that everything went well for you, and that you had a great time!!!! :D :D :D :D My Thanksgiving was great Cristy, thanks for asking!! :wink:

scatmantom
11-27-2005, 03:15 PM
hey

thanks for the replies every1.

My anxiety of new things is down to the fact i got over excited about a gameboy when iwas younger...and now its like im anxious about any sort of present/treat i get myself, as i think it will trigger my anxiety. THis negative thought process does trigger my anxiety. Its a cycle...im getting out of it tho. If i want something and i can afford it i get it. If i Persevere I will cope!

shoe
11-28-2005, 09:28 AM
good to hear you are getting out of the cycle scatmantom :)

oh, and its great to hear babycristy made it through thanksgiving okay!

lucky for me i didnt have to deal with anyone on thanksgiving, just me and the microwave hehe