PDA

View Full Version : Health anxiety?

Michael33
05-02-2014, 01:31 PM
Hey guys,

I've been symptom free for about a month/month and a half now and feeling perfectly fine. I'm running into some small bouts of anxiety lately though, concerning my health. I always find the need to focus on my breathing, as if something is wrong with it - even though I know that it would be impossible. I run 5k on the treadmill every day and do a lot of other physical activity, plus I'm only 19. Somehow though, (no matter how many times doctors tell me im 100% fine), something feels off about my breathing.. Like I'll feel as if theres something closing my throat and I'm losing air, even though my lungs feel fine. I'm always focusing on my breathing and trying to get those deep satisfying breaths but I can't, is this anxiety? Does anyone know how anxiety causes this? Like does it damage your lungs, or is it sometype of muscle restrain action or something?

I'm not scared that I have something to worry about right now, I'm just worried that this will damage my breathing somehow? My Pure OCD was terrifying, this type of anxiety(if it's anxiety) is just annoying as hell.

Fourteen14
05-02-2014, 02:26 PM
The feeling of the throat closing and shortness of breath is really common in anxiety (relaxing and stretching the neck and head in a circular motion regularly sometimes helps to relieve the muscle tension causing it.

Anxiety and related breathing issues CANNOT damage your respiratory system. There is no need to worry, you can freely carry on with the progress you have made, the breathing will then settle itself .

Regards