PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety of harming myself or others

stephanie21
05-01-2014, 10:35 PM
Don't know why!?! :(
But I've been having thoughts like
What if I go crazy an start hurting people or myself!
I no way want to hurt anyone or myself
But my mind races so much I start thinking horrible thoughts!
Does anyone else have scary thoughts like this?
Please tell me someone can relate!?
Once again I don't ever want anyone hurt!
But the what ifs race through my mind and it's terrifying!

BrookeLynnnn
05-01-2014, 10:51 PM
I do! & right after, I'll tell myself to shut up because in reality, I could & would NEVER do that.

I think when drs ask us, do you feel like harming yourself or others.. That sticks in our head cause we're like oh my gosh, I don't think that, is it gonna happen??

Just remind yourself you wouldn't ever do that & the random thoughts should subside at some point :)

em1
05-02-2014, 06:47 AM
This is called Intrusive thoughts, it happens a lot with anxiety. Sufferers,some say it's a OCD or pure O,I personally think it's all Anxiety,I've had it and it's not nice
But it will pass and it's only a thought and thoughts can not hurt you,
Intrusive thoughts are the totally opposite of what you would ever do and that's why they fuel the anxiety and panic attacks, because you then start thinking omg i'm going mad or I'm going to turn into a mass murderer etc
NO YOUR NOT lol
I can laugh about it now because it seems so crazy but at the time it's as scary as hell.
I fully understand where you're coming from.
The way to get rid of them is to let them
Come as if you fight them they only come back stronger.
For example if I asked you to not think of a pink flying pig what would be your first thought? A pink flying pig right lol
In not saying you have to accept what you're thinking because obviously that's really disturbing. But what I am saying is except the thoughts of there and just let them go, don't give them any importance because with out importance of got my strength and will not linger.

Every single living person on the earth has intrusive thoughts it's part of being human, so you're not going mad or going to turn into someone that you're not.

The imp of the mind is a fantastic book to read unintrusive thoughts if you have a Kindle or you can buy it from eBay, it was a fantastic book for me to read when I suffered from intrusive thoughts and like anyone wanted reassurance that I was not going mad etc.

Hope I've helped you in anyway to relax and ease your mind.
Emma :)

GeneAllen
05-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Emma put it the best I can attest to. I have experienced so many of these I thought I should be locked up and never let out for a damn thought, or thoughts. Truth is as I now know, I am not my thoughts, and honestly they are nothing new, I think about a lot of things, but when anxious my neurotic mind wants to condemn me. It's all a game of guilt, shame, and anger. Fear is at the root, strike the root. I am thankful for the insights about my anger and anger is nothing more than fear, or feeling powerless in life. I learned skills to approach anger in a different way and not see it as abnormal, or afraid of being angry. I seen a lot of people go wild with anger as a kid, so I thought I would. I haven't. I won't, and I know it's frightening, and you will get past this as you let them gently pass thru your thoughts, and DO NOT fight them, seems natural to want to, but this is a trick. Don't play.

Peace

stephanie21
05-06-2014, 07:02 PM
I do! & right after, I'll tell myself to shut up because in reality, I could & would NEVER do that. I think when drs ask us, do you feel like harming yourself or others.. That sticks in our head cause we're like oh my gosh, I don't think that, is it gonna happen?? Just remind yourself you wouldn't ever do that & the random thoughts should subside at some point :)

Thankyou :)
They passed instantly after reading everyone's replies
Just knowing other people have had the scary what if thoughts not just myself made me feel better

stephanie21
05-06-2014, 07:07 PM
This is called Intrusive thoughts, it happens a lot with anxiety. Sufferers,some say it's a OCD or pure O,I personally think it's all Anxiety,I've had it and it's not nice But it will pass and it's only a thought and thoughts can not hurt you, Intrusive thoughts are the totally opposite of what you would ever do and that's why they fuel the anxiety and panic attacks, because you then start thinking omg i'm going mad or I'm going to turn into a mass murderer etc NO YOUR NOT lol I can laugh about it now because it seems so crazy but at the time it's as scary as hell. I fully understand where you're coming from. The way to get rid of them is to let them Come as if you fight them they only come back stronger. For example if I asked you to not think of a pink flying pig what would be your first thought? A pink flying pig right lol In not saying you have to accept what you're thinking because obviously that's really disturbing. But what I am saying is except the thoughts of there and just let them go, don't give them any importance because with out importance of got my strength and will not linger. Every single living person on the earth has intrusive thoughts it's part of being human, so you're not going mad or going to turn into someone that you're not. The imp of the mind is a fantastic book to read unintrusive thoughts if you have a Kindle or you can buy it from eBay, it was a fantastic book for me to read when I suffered from intrusive thoughts and like anyone wanted reassurance that I was not going mad etc. Hope I've helped you in anyway to relax and ease your mind. Emma :)

Thankyou Emma
You def helped
I know the thoughts will come back
I just really have to learn how to make myself not panic over them
Let the thoughts pass an not panic
Yesterday I watched a scary evil movie
Which was a bad idea because I literally felt like what happened in the movie would happen to me it's embarassing to say but I thought forsure I was possessed because I can't control the scary thoughts I have sometimes
Lets just say I'm never watching a scary movie again
I panic easily :(
I hate intrusive thoughts
An I hope I can soon laugh at them as well

Michael33
05-07-2014, 03:00 PM
Don't respond to the thoughts, dont wonder why you're having them. Anxiety is why your having them, thoughts cant hurt you - and you need to learn to live with that unpredictability.

If you have a thought of harming yourself - let's say its suicide or what not. Remember that you're suicidal when doing a lot of things; when you're driving you could kill yourself at anytime, when you're swimming you could just drown and die.. As far as harming others, you're CLEARLY not psychotic, you have nothing to worry about, and again the same unpredictability of life topic comes into discussion, you could kill or hurt someone unintentionally. You have nothing to worry about, let the thoughts rot in the back of your brain, aka dont give them attention, they'll keep coming but you just keep doing what you're doing and they eventually go away.

The problem with anxiety and/or depression is that when you have it and all of its symptoms, it seems like these things will never go away. But the same way the brain is so complex that doctors/medical professionals cant pinpoint the reason for anxiety and depression, that exact same complexity applies to how your brain will eventually heal itself. So again, no matter how bad the thoughts get or the anxiety in general, remember that everything will pass even when you don't see that light at the end of this long annoying tunnel lol

excercising and eating healthy is a big thing as well.