PDA

View Full Version : Ongoing battle with depression and anxiety

sgran002
04-30-2014, 09:49 AM
Hey guys. Well I've had depression for a couple years now and that triggered anxiety. I have been having this problem where I can't stop thinking negatively. I always get this way when important events are approaching. The weather is making me feel sick and my depression and anxiety is making me feel sicker. I wish I didn't have these feelings because it is ruining my life. I don't know how to erase the negative thoughts out of my head. Anyone have any suggestions?

purple9812
04-30-2014, 10:36 AM
I wish I could help, but I can't. I wish I was just normal and happy :(

sgran002
04-30-2014, 12:40 PM
I wish I could help, but I can't. I wish I was just normal and happy :(

I understand. The same with me too.

Ritch
04-30-2014, 05:20 PM
CBT helps a lot with negative thoughts. Some people find it helpful to right down their negative/irrational thoughts and then rationalise them on paper.

for example I used to think I'm going to fail my next exam.... I would then look at what evidence supported this thought and when I realised there wasn't much evidence to support it (I got 80% in my previous exam) and it helped ease my nerves.

If you are worrying about future events/dates and predicting that they wont go very well something like mindfulness and Mindfulness/meditation may help. Live/think in the moment and not the future.

Fen667
05-01-2014, 02:59 AM
Writing stuff down is good. Maybe try two books. Good book bad book. See how they balance out and when you read your words its can sometimes make you relise that some of the bad stuff isn't actually that bad.
Mindfullness/meditation is a great help to me as well.
Take care out there

Dr.Strange
05-01-2014, 03:12 AM
Worry time was suggested to me last week in cbt. Its quite helpful you can find stuff for it online.

20 mins a day i do all my worrying and if i worry through the day i make a note of it and tell myself to worry about it at worrytime. After a few days it really has helped

sgran002
05-01-2014, 09:47 AM
CBT helps a lot with negative thoughts. Some people find it helpful to right down their negative/irrational thoughts and then rationalise them on paper. for example I used to think I'm going to fail my next exam.... I would then look at what evidence supported this thought and when I realised there wasn't much evidence to support it (I got 80% in my previous exam) and it helped ease my nerves. If you are worrying about future events/dates and predicting that they wont go very well something like mindfulness and Mindfulness/meditation may help. Live/think in the moment and not the future.

Hey is that like therapy? So I just write down my problems and analyze them to come to terms why I have the problems?

sgran002
05-01-2014, 09:48 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses.