PDA

View Full Version : Does smoking help or add to our anxiety?

JohnC
04-27-2014, 05:34 PM
I have been thinking about this since I decided to try and quit smoking. Ever since I started without any cigs I have hardly noticed my anxiety. Maybe it is because my body is in shock from 35 years a heavy smoker or maybe smoking was adding to my anxiety? I have had a panic attack a couple of times and boy did I long to suckle from sweet teat of a cig. Anyhow, I am afraid when the anxiety does come back which after having dealt with it for 20 years I am sure it will, i'll be right back to smoking. It's like a double edge sword (smoking). I am anxious about smoking but when my anxiety is really bad is when I smoked like a chimney. Then what?
I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

annakatarinas
04-27-2014, 05:39 PM
My anxiety, which due to my therapist probably is correlated to borderline personality disorder or parts of it, results in self-harming behavior, such as binge drinking/eating and excessive smoking (or more "direct" harm such as cutting or hitting myself). So I guess, it kind of helps me, if you know what I mean - harming myself makes me calm and reveals my anxiety. Though I think that anxiety more biologically gets worse by smoking.

JohnC
04-27-2014, 05:43 PM
Biologically for sure. I know that when I am in a full blown panic/anxiety attack I gotta smoke or always used to. I am only 6 days in to my non smoking thing so we will see.

annakatarinas
04-27-2014, 05:45 PM
That's very good! I'm not really addicted or anything, I don't suffer the "bad sides" of it when I don't smoke. I just enjoy the good parts when I actually do it. ;)

JohnC
04-27-2014, 05:51 PM
Be careful ,that addiction thing will creep right up on you.

petrified
04-27-2014, 06:06 PM
Hi John and Anna :-)

John this is a great thread!
I'm like how you described as soon as I panic I reach for my cigs. I'm sure this is probably adding to my stress and anxiety but it's just something I do try and cope. It never actually helps though :-/

Anna it's funny you mentioned the self harm and smoking being related my self harming stopped about the same time my smoking started. Perhaps I was just replacing one self destructive behaviour with another. I've never looked at it that way before

annakatarinas
04-27-2014, 06:09 PM
Petrified: I know, it's like when my therapist told me that binge drinking was a way of self harming. My mind was blown. Haha. ;)

Dahila
04-27-2014, 06:17 PM
Anna it makes sense, I started smoking when I had a full blown Asthma, and was smoking for over 30 years, I am smoke free for almost 6 years (May1:)) )I know that smoking added to my anxiety, especially when I was counting hours till break and then lunch then end of working day, It was awful. I was so anxious when I could not smoke....panic, headaches

JohnC
04-27-2014, 07:20 PM
Wow Dahila, 6 years. That gives me some hope. I could smoke all day long at work if I wanted which makes it even harder but I got to do it. 35 years is a lot a smokin and i just figure i am pushing my luck.

Dahila
04-27-2014, 08:17 PM
JohnC it will be 6 years on May 1, I can not believe it. What is the most important for me; freedom, freedom from this shit.
I was trying to quit smoking for maybe ten years. Nicorette, patches, wellbutrin, acupunture, I tried everything.................Champix was the answer:))

JohnC
04-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Hi Dahila,
I think it's working for me too. I never thought I would make it six hours let alone 6 day's. If those dam dreams would quit I am only getting about 5 hours of sleep. Every time I go to bed it's a johnC movie marathon in high def. I did quit once when I was in my mid twenties for 9 months. I went out drinking on saint patty's day and bummed one smoke from a buddy and I was right back on them. Lesson learned the hard way. Must have been the Irish/french Canadian/ italian in me or maybe it was just the green beer. Either way I am glad for you and I hope I am as successful as you.

Dahila
04-28-2014, 06:50 AM
It will, you will see that you start to enjoy the freedom. In Canada we can not smoke in bars, no where, I feel sorry for the only person who smokes in work and she hides discretely in her car. The company does not want the smoke on their property.... crazy
You will be successful, I know it. Men somehow how easier with quiting smoking...:)

manz82
04-28-2014, 03:06 PM
I have been smoke free for six weeks today and already my heart bpm has gone from 80 to 60! I don't know how my blood pressure is because I'm phobic of having it taken, but the pulse thing is amazing considering I have anxiety, so I know that smoking only makes things worse. X

JohnC
04-28-2014, 05:29 PM
Hi manz82, that's great keep it up and never look back. I got one week down but it sure seems like it aint getting easier.

Try_Repeat
04-29-2014, 01:24 AM
Unhealthy addictions worsen symptoms of all deceases and anxiety of course in the long run, that is for sure (though they can provide just temporary removal of symptoms). That is for sure. Sometimes removing of bad habits can help you a lot in fighting with depression and panic attacks (as it helped me). But you shouldn't consider it as a full remedy, you should do more else beside of quitting smoking in case you want to get rid of your anxiety.

JohnC
04-29-2014, 04:38 AM
I agree with you on it not being a full remedy but it sure is nice not having that weight on my shoulders

Dahila
04-29-2014, 07:28 AM
Manz it is fantastic news, the benefits of quitting are the most noticeable on the first few months. I am suffering with insomnia for my whole life, except for about 8 weeks when I quit and I was sleeping for 12 hours and getting up so rested. the energy level was incredible. It was the time when I started to build the rock garden , which helped me not to go back;))