PDA

View Full Version : Helping myself with deep thinking and depersonalisation

Irish Sammie
04-27-2014, 02:14 PM
Hey guys,

I read a thread today about depersonalization. I haven't experienced too much of it, just little moments here and there and they're very scary, as many of you can attest to. In the thread I read, they were listing things that helped them get through it.

Infact, it's this thread here...http://www.dpselfhelp.com/forum/index.php?/topic/20892-the-holy-grail-of-curing-dpdr/ . In the "Letting Go" section, they mention about the whole deep thinking aspect that many of us go through, and try to live in the "now" and not sit around contemplating life. This is what I have a problem with. An interest of mine is life beyond our planet, and it's always fascinated me. I love research topics related to other worlds, secretive government projects, extraterrestrialism and similiar topics. I often get very disheartened with the way the world works, the things people do, the greed, the hate, the people who run the world etc, and in a sense, "Earth" doesn't really interest me the way it used to (as strange as that sounds). So there are times where I'm consumed with thoughts of "what if"....."I wonder what it's like there" and other thoughts in that vein.

I often think pesimistically about many aspects of life, not because I enjoy it, or that I want to, but I'm an extremely empathetic person and completely dispise any negativity in the world, yet here I am consuming myself with it at times. Do you think this could contribute to my situation? To the small bouts of depersonalization? I've spent lengthy stretches of time by myself as I'm comfortable being alone. I have interests that allow me to enjoy myself, by myself and I never saw anything wrong with that. But the more I put it together in my head, the more it makes sense that my lack of social integration over the past few years might have been detramental to my current situation? It's not something I'd want to give up on.

I feel the more I understand and the more I know what to watch out for, the more I can stop my thought process in it's track, question it and then correct it. The last 2 months for me has been hell, and like many I don't see an end in sight. My biggest worry right now, is that I'm moving to another country in 3 months time, and petrified that if I don't have this more under control by then, I'm not sure what I'll do. I want to go over excited to what's to come, but right now I'm just dreading it. I'm just about coping in my home country. In a foreign one? Aacccck!

As always, any help is always appreciated :)

Haumea
04-27-2014, 09:50 PM
Hi Sammie,

Do you think this could contribute to my situation? To the small bouts of depersonalization? I've spent lengthy stretches of time by myself as I'm comfortable being alone. I have interests that allow me to enjoy myself, by myself and I never saw anything wrong with that. But the more I put it together in my head, the more it makes sense that my lack of social integration over the past few years might have been detramental to my current situation? It's not something I'd want to give up on.

I'm quite familiar with DP and...yes, totally.

It sounds like we're very similar personality/temperament types. We both want to escape into our minds when the world gets tough, but it only makes things worse.

I've discovered that it is extremely important to set and work towards achieving personal goals. We get so wrapped up in things that aren't really moving us forward that we wind up going backwards. It's important to spend time outdoors, do physical activities, learn life skills that make you feel more secure and grounded and to socialize so you can express your feelings.