PDA

View Full Version : depersonalization

olivia4514
04-27-2014, 12:35 PM
here's an article that helped me :
http://www.dpselfhelp.com/forum/index.php?/topic/20892-the-holy-grail-of-curing-dpdr/
what do you think about it?

jessed03
04-27-2014, 12:42 PM
here's an article that helped me :
http://www.dpselfhelp.com/forum/index.php?/topic/20892-the-holy-grail-of-curing-dpdr/
what do you think about it?

It's a great post.

olivia4514
04-27-2014, 01:47 PM
yup, this article works wonders just reading it. Gotta practise the those steps though.

Haumea
04-27-2014, 09:55 PM
Distraction and Letting Go are huge parts of the healing process.

Distraction is mental hygiene, training your mind to shift focus away from thoughts or feelings which do not serve you.

Letting Go is releasing yourself from the burden of worrying about things you have no control over.

These apply not just to DP, but pretty much all anxiety variants.

Niicole Lynne
04-27-2014, 10:17 PM
Distraction and Letting Go are huge parts of the healing process. Distraction is mental hygiene, training your mind to shift focus away from thoughts or feelings which do not serve you. Letting Go is releasing yourself from the burden of worrying about things you have no control over. These apply not just to DP, but pretty much all anxiety variants.

Good post!!
Sometimes I feel like distraction and not thinking of negative things is taking the easy way out but the way you say "the thoughts or feelings which do not serve you" and "releasing yourself from the burden of worrying" helps me to feel that I'm doing the right things.

Haumea
04-27-2014, 10:48 PM
Hi Nicole,

As long as you're not ignoring something that needs to be resolved (basically, something you can do something about), it ok to control negative thoughts. Otherwise, it's just not being good to yourself.

Niicole Lynne
04-27-2014, 11:05 PM
Hi Nicole, As long as you're not ignoring something that needs to be resolved (basically, something you can do something about), it ok to control negative thoughts. Otherwise, it's just not being good to yourself.

No I totally get that
I worry about the one thing I can't change... Death. So it's always been hard for me. So I try to control the thoughts about it so I can live happily and such. Still trying to work it out tho

But like with my anxiety part of it I knew I could fix it or help it and
Iv dealt with my panic attacks and anxiety for the most part because I didn't wanna live that way.

Haumea
04-27-2014, 11:38 PM
I worry about the one thing I can't change... Death.

I recommend any (or all) of Robert Monroe's books. :)

jamesjordan10
04-27-2014, 11:41 PM
Have anyone had this?

For about two months now I've had chronic shortness of breath, I'm constantly sweating in my hands and feet, I have constant heart palpitations, and I have what feels like pressure headaches. Worst of all, I have this weird feeling in my arms that I don't know how to explain. They feel like they're light, or maybe even numb, I can't exactly explain it. It's the weirdest sensation. The breathing problem I have is not going away. I've had an x-ray of my chest, blood work has be done, an MRI of my head, and an EKG; all of which has said I'm fine. I don't know what to do. My symptoms are not getting better. Has anyone had these persisting symptoms? I'm going crazy, I can't leave the house. I've tried meditation, and I've been on Prozac for almost two months. I think Prozac helped my breathing a little bit, but not much. I've had anxiety in the past, but I really don't think this is anxiety. PLEASE HELP.

Haumea
04-28-2014, 08:54 AM
James,

Sounds like somatization. Anxiety converting into physical symptoms, even though there's no underlying physical cause. I've had this for many years, and the only answer is resolving the inner conflicts that are causing the somatization.

olivia4514
04-28-2014, 09:42 AM
Hey Niicole Lynne, I've been there too, the death stuff. 3 years ago. I was only 14. But I got over it, it took 2-3 months. But now it's all a different story, different irrational worries. Like I already wrote - got out of one bullshit, here comes the other.
Btw, yeah that article is great for all the anxiety disorders :) it really helps read it.

Niicole Lynne
04-28-2014, 10:14 AM
Hey Niicole Lynne, I've been there too, the death stuff. 3 years ago. I was only 14. But I got over it, it took 2-3 months. But now it's all a different story, different irrational worries. Like I already wrote - got out of one bullshit, here comes the other. Btw, yeah that article is great for all the anxiety disorders :) it really helps read it.

Sorry to hear that Olivia!! Hope things r okay for you :)
Glad to know I'm not alone
And thanks I might have to check it out