PDA

View Full Version : BP Problem

TacSwat
04-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Starts off like this I have a BP Checking Obsession...not sure why it has come to a point where I have high readings and phobia overit I take it at stores..I hate that when you have people star in at you and I have my own BP machine sometimes I take it just to feel the tightness of the cuff...im not sure what to do or say to anyone thank you for anyones time to answer my post...

Andrew

Irish Sammie
04-23-2014, 02:47 PM
Hi Andrew,

First of all, what you're doing is completely normal when you're suffering from anxiety. I've done it myself more than a few times and it does have advantages, but also disadvantages. It is good to monitor the speed of your BP in various situations, to see how you're doing. I'll often test my BP to see how well I'm regulating my BP in say, a social situation, or a situation where I've to deal with a lot. It can be re-affirming when your BP is at a steady pace when you're in a situation where it should be beating faster. The downside is that if you're feeling bad, and check your BP, feeling the fast beat can emphasize your anxiety and make it get worse.

If there is one piece of advice I can give you, is try not to focus on it so much. I know that's a hard thing to do, but I'm slowly starting to realize that a lot of this can be overcome by sheer will power. Will power is something that many people find hard to regulate and control. I believe that those who suffer from anxiety find it hard to control their will power so it's something that you need to work on. Keep pushing through it. It won't feel nice, you'll feel pretty crappy, BUT you will feel better in the end, trust me.

:)

Fourteen14
04-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Starts off like this I have a BP Checking Obsession...not sure why it has come to a point where I have high readings and phobia overit I take it at stores..I hate that when you have people star in at you and I have my own BP machine sometimes I take it just to feel the tightness of the cuff...im not sure what to do or say to anyone thank you for anyones time to answer my post... Andrew

This is a common obsession for many people (particularly health anxiety).

Your blood pressure will fluctuate naturally through the day (check it in the morning) for a consistent reading.

Most people find there BP spikes as soon as you put the cuff on, then take 20 or so readings one after the other, until they are calm enough to reach somewhere in the 120-135 / 80-85 mark.

For most the majority of healthy individuals with a normal BP reading (when not in an anxious state) the recommendation is to get it checked at least every 5 years (more regularly for those over 50 years old or those with abnormal readings).

All you are doing by checking it constantly in stores is fuelling your anxiety, and at potential risk of bruising/damaging your arm.

If you are at all concerned go to your GP let them check it, and they can medicate if there is any need to.

The likelihood is that you will be in the healthy range and can safely forget about it for a few years.

johnqaz741
04-24-2014, 01:26 AM
Relax and BP will be ok