PDA

View Full Version : Is anxiety or depression something than can be overcome or just managed?

kcg
04-20-2014, 05:16 PM
I have been visiting quite a few blogs, discussion boards and websites to see the overall consensus regarding overcoming or just managing anxiety and or depression. From what I have gathered the majority of discussion seems to be toward living a life where it can be managed. This in of itself is very depressing. If a choice exists to manage or be free from a condition, wouldn't the majority choose freedom?

So what are some ways to reduce the physical effect of anxiety and or depression? Feelings such as you are about to have a stroke, heart palpitations, dizziness, inability to sleep, basically a slower way of being dead.

Go to the one thing that we need to live, the breath. Let's start here. When any of the symptoms strike take a moment, bring yourself to the present and start deep, diaphramic breathing. Allow the breath to only flow through the nostrils. Each inhalation should be slow, deliberate and deep to the point your belly expands like Buddha. Hold it there for just a few moments.

The exhalation should also be slow and deliberate, allowing all of the oxygen to leave the body, meaning toward the end of the exhalation suck in the stomach to make sure everything is gone. Repeat this cycle for a few minutes and then see how you are. Gauge how you feel and then continue with the breathing if necessary otherwise go ahead and continue what you were doing prior to the attack.

For best results try doing this type of breathing throughout the day. This type of breathing reduces any negative effect of the Autonomic nervous system which when over active results in the following.

Adrenal fatigue
Headaches
Impotency and erectile dysfunction
High blood pressure
Heart disease
Multiple chemical sensitivity
Food sensitivities
Chronic fatigue
Fibromyalgia
Depression
Anxiety
Hyperactivity
Alcoholism
Addiction
Compulsive overeating
Food addiction
Ulcers
Insomnia
Panic attacks
Heart arrhythmia
Gastrointestinal disorders
Bowel disorders like constipation and IBS
Bipolar
Manic depressive
Autism
MS
Obesity
Circulation disorders
Hyperactivity
Attention deficit
Violence and aggression
Overactive bladder
Gulf war syndrome
PTSD - Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
Tachycardia
Alzheimer's
Parkinson's
Excessive sweating with an unknown cause
Worsening of any mental or medical health condition

Thanks for listening and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Be well,
KG

needtogetwell
04-20-2014, 05:23 PM
I have been visiting quite a few blogs, discussion boards and websites to see the overall consensus regarding overcoming or just managing anxiety and or depression. From what I have gathered the majority of discussion seems to be toward living a life where it can be managed. This in of itself is very depressing. If a choice exists to manage or be free from a condition, wouldn't the majority choose freedom? So what are some ways to reduce the physical effect of anxiety and or depression? Feelings such as you are about to have a stroke, heart palpitations, dizziness, inability to sleep, basically a slower way of being dead. Go to the one thing that we need to live, the breath. Let's start here. When any of the symptoms strike take a moment, bring yourself to the present and start deep, diaphramic breathing. Allow the breath to only flow through the nostrils. Each inhalation should be slow, deliberate and deep to the point your belly expands like Buddha. Hold it there for just a few moments. The exhalation should also be slow and deliberate, allowing all of the oxygen to leave the body, meaning toward the end of the exhalation suck in the stomach to make sure everything is gone. Repeat this cycle for a few minutes and then see how you are. Gauge how you feel and then continue with the breathing if necessary otherwise go ahead and continue what you were doing prior to the attack. For best results try doing this type of breathing throughout the day. This type of breathing reduces any negative effect of the Autonomic nervous system which when over active results in the following. Adrenal fatigue Headaches Impotency and erectile dysfunction High blood pressure Heart disease Multiple chemical sensitivity Food sensitivities Chronic fatigue Fibromyalgia Depression Anxiety Hyperactivity Alcoholism Addiction Compulsive overeating Food addiction Ulcers Insomnia Panic attacks Heart arrhythmia Gastrointestinal disorders Bowel disorders like constipation and IBS Bipolar Manic depressive Autism MS Obesity Circulation disorders Hyperactivity Attention deficit Violence and aggression Overactive bladder Gulf war syndrome PTSD - Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Tachycardia Alzheimer's Parkinson's Excessive sweating with an unknown cause Worsening of any mental or medical health condition Thanks for listening and look forward to hearing your feedback. Be well, KG

I would be very interrested in the proof to support your statement that overactive autonomous nervous system resulting in the great list you have provided, especially Autism.

Please provide the proof!

I am no where a novice where autism is concerned so I expect you to defend the preposterous statement you have made.

Dahila
04-20-2014, 05:34 PM
bipolar
manic depressive
autism
ms
nonsense.............

Ritch
04-20-2014, 05:45 PM
What those 2 said^^^^ I'm out!

jessed03
04-20-2014, 06:15 PM
In essence, everybody just manages their anxiety. Just being human, means being anxious.

Look at an outdoor animal, how often are they relaxed? Hardly ever. They always seem jittery, and very aware of their surroundings. We're not too dissimilar, we're still just mammals, the same way they are.

As humans we've created society, and we've created many illusions of security, but we can't protect against everything. In fact, most of us have some very horrible things lying in wait; death, sickness, loss, hurt and disease.

They can all strike at any time. Any given moment.

To quote Buddha, he once said 'Life is suffering.'

And with suffering, there will probably be anxiety.

Sounds quite depressing, but it's true. There's never any moment of pure happiness, or pure relaxation in awakened life. Every good moment that's pleasurable, you know deep down that it will end. And you will go back to chasing pleasure or joy again. You know deep down everything is crumbling away.

Nothing is permanent, and that alone means you'll always have some degree of anxiety in your life.

So I don't ever like the word 'cured' when it comes to anxiety, or even depression, as certain levels are normal, and levels will fluctuate during certain stages of your life. Think of perfectly healthy people who have a mid life crises.

So I think the goal for everybody isn't to worry about terms. Whether you cure, manage, put something in remission - it's only an idea. It's only a perception. The only thing you want to be judging really, is how much your condition is affecting your freedom to express yourself, and your ability to live your every day life, and fulfill your duties.

The more your anxiety or depression affects those things, the more you have a big life problem.

I mean, I'll talk specifically about anxiety here, as that's probably what more people suffer from originally, and the depression often just follows along with it - For me, to be quite vague for the sake of a post - anxiety is about reaction.

It's a reactionary process. Virtually all symptoms are caused by unfavourable reactions happening somewhere in your body, or in your brain. And I guess even your soul to a degree. Spiritual anxiety is becoming a big issue in people's lives now.

A lot of physical symptoms come about due to a nervous reaction. Often confused nerve impulses.

A lot of your mental symptoms (which then cause the physical ones) are often due to a reactionary amygdala, and mental reactions to your thoughts and feelings.

That's why I believe anxiety is only ever managed. You can't ever cure reactions. Their just part of being human.

But you can manage them.

You can care for your body in such a way that ensures very little physical reaction is happening. And that reduction of physical reactions, will in and of itself, reduce a lot of anxiety. If there are very few reactions happening physically, creating tension, sugar changes, pressure changes - and the list of physical reactions to unhelpful living can go on and on - then you'll inevitably feel a lot better.

Then of course you have mental reactivity, which is arguably far more problematic in most anxiety sufferers. If you can reduce that too, in conjunction with your reduced physically reactions, then you'll be in a very good place. That's often done through mindfulness, through CBT, through achieving self actualisation (if possible).

And finally you have spiritual lack of reactivity. This may come first, or it may come last. Actually I put self esteem into this category. Reducing spiritual reactivity includes everything from removing self hatred, or hatred of others, to reducing feelings of isolation, purposelessness, and fear of death.

If you can go through those categories, and you can reduce reactivity and deficiency in all of those categories, wherever you find it, or wherever is possible - you'll be doing well friend.

So, don't worry about curing yourself. It's not depressing that you can't per se. You have tonnes of power. And tonnes of things to learn, and to experiment with.

If you go through your life, and look at yourself as through you were the tongue of a lizard, and look at life as though it were the insect - and see what you get drawn towards, see what you spiral towards, see what you reactionary instinct is, you'll learn a lot, and often learn why your condition is still prominent.

Nobody should expect to have to live with life numbing symptoms forever. There are many things out there to at least help you get on top of that.

The answers should come to you, mainly through experimentation, and self awareness. Look at things with a curiosity, rather than a desperation. That alone will instill a reduced reactionary philosophy in you.

And then take it from there.

Often self awareness needs to be developed. It's rather like an instrument that needs sharpening. Meditation and psychotherapy (especially CBT) are probably two of the most common ways of increasing your self awareness levels.

jessed03
04-20-2014, 06:18 PM
I know this is a title that will get googled A LOT so I kind of wanted to write what really helped me.

My post was pretty long, but people can share opinion too.

Breathing is one place to start to improve some symptoms.

I think your post was on kind of the right tack kcg, but not that well executed ;)

kcg
04-20-2014, 07:54 PM
I know this is a title that will get googled A LOT so I kind of wanted to write what really helped me.

My post was pretty long, but people can share opinion too.

Breathing is one place to start to improve some symptoms.

I think your post was on kind of the right tack kcg, but not that well executed ;)

Your insight has been extremely helpful. Thank you for taking the time to explain. You are also correct on my execution, this is a great learning experience as well. If I may ask what has been some of the best ways that helped you cope? What I am speaking of is books, seminars, on line courses, etc. The reason I ask is I'm looking to travel a more natural approach before I go in a different route.

kcg
04-20-2014, 08:06 PM
I would be very interrested in the proof to support your statement that overactive autonomous nervous system resulting in the great list you have provided, especially Autism.

Please provide the proof!

I am no where a novice where autism is concerned so I expect you to defend the preposterous statement you have made.

I don't want to take away from my initial question, in your experience do you find it possible to overcome or just manage?

Please look into the following study:

"Is salivary alpha-amylase an indicator of autonomic nervous system dysregulations in mental disorders?--a review of preliminary findings and the interactions with cortisol."

Schumacher S, Kirschbaum C, Fydrich T, Ströhle A.

www dot ncbi dot nlm dot nih dot gov forward slash pubmed forward slash 23481259

Also amylase - is an essential enzyme, produced by the pancreas. Low amylase also is a sign of an autonomic nervous system dysfunction. Studies are saying this could also contribute.

jessed03
04-20-2014, 08:10 PM
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23481259

Hurry up and get a few more posts under your belt so you can send links kcg.

I think in the spirit of your initial post, about increasing autonomic nervous system health; one of the best things for me was starting with the fundamentals, and then building upon them. Many don't, and they can end up in a little bit of a mess. Having some anxiety, not really knowing why, then having good days.

I think one of the best things you can do for yourself right now, bar nothing, is fix what goes into your mouth. For a month get your diet tighter than a metrosexual Spanish guys spandex pants.

For one month:

- Eat within an hour of waking
- Cut out all sugar, sweeteners, honey, fructose syrups
- Cut out all high GI fruits
- Cut out all high GI carbs
- Eat protein with every meal
- Cut your meals up into 6 portions and eat smaller ones more regularly
- No coffee, alcohol, fruit juices
- 2L of water a day
- Wake up in the morning, and drink at least one glass of warm water with lemon in
- Organic is obviously better, but I know it's not always possible
- Try to aim slightly more towards vegetarianism during this month. Maybe have a no meat Monday.
- Minimise dairy. Buy a calcium replacement like rice milk, and rotate
- Eat no preservatives, E numbers or anything that doesn't sound like food

Perform the Tibetan rites daily, if you're fit and healthy.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/tibetan-rites-practice

Do that religiously for a month. Unless you have a health condition that prevents it.

If you have any gastro issues, avoid dairy completely and use calcium supps, and investigate them after the month ends.

After that month is over: take a vitamin and nutrient blood test. As well as a standard blood test checking for the normal health concerns. If you've had one lately, you don't need one again.

If your doctor can check all of your vitamins and nutrients, that's great. Some only check the big ones like iron, vitamin D and B vitamins. If that's the case, get a nutrient hair mineral analysis for the rest . Is it as good as a blood test? No, but it's good enough. They're not massively expensive.

If possible, try and get your doctor to test you for food intolerances too.

After the month is over, add in a herb that promotes relaxation. Some like Valerian. Or camomille tea. If you already take these, cool, just keep taking them.

You're pretty much 1/3rd of the way towards reducing physical reactivity. That will do so many things for you. It's just the best place to start. Start at the very beginning.

I say pretty much there, as if you aren't seeing enough of a difference after a while or using this therapy, and other therapies, you may need a chemically balancing pill like an antidepressant, or another herb.

Probably won't be hard for you at all, you seem well read on various health issues.

Once you have 1/3rd of the healing process taken care of, you can really get tackling the other 2, mental and spiritual healing. It's just best to balance the body first, as so many things can cause hormonal and other mental imbalances.

kcg
04-20-2014, 08:50 PM
Hurry up and get a few more posts under your belt so you can send links kcg.

I think in the spirit of your initial post, about increasing autonomic nervous system health; one of the best things for me was starting with the fundamentals, and then building upon them. Many don't, and they can end up in a little bit of a mess. Having some anxiety, not really knowing why, then having good days.

I think one of the best things you can do for yourself right now, bar nothing, is fix what goes into your mouth. For a month get your diet tighter than a metrosexual Spanish guys spandex pants.

For one month:

- Eat within an hour of waking
- Cut out all sugar, sweeteners, honey, fructose syrups
- Cut out all high GI fruits
- Cut out all high GI carbs
- Eat protein with every meal
- Cut your meals up into 6 portions and eat smaller ones more regularly
- No coffee, alcohol, fruit juices
- 2L of water a day
- Wake up in the morning, and drink at least one glass of warm water with lemon in
- Organic is obviously better, but I know it's not always possible
- Try to aim slightly more towards vegetarianism during this month. Maybe have a no meat Monday.
- Minimise dairy. Buy a calcium replacement like rice milk, and rotate
- Eat no preservatives, E numbers or anything that doesn't sound like food

Perform the Tibetan rites daily, if you're fit and healthy.

Do that religiously for a month. Unless you have a health condition that prevents it.

If you have any gastro issues, avoid dairy completely and use calcium supps, and investigate them after the month ends.

After that month is over: take a vitamin and nutrient blood test. As well as a standard blood test checking for the normal health concerns. If you've had one lately, you don't need one again.

If your doctor can check all of your vitamins and nutrients, that's great. Some only check the big ones like iron, vitamin D and B vitamins. If that's the case, get a nutrient hair mineral analysis for the rest . Is it as good as a blood test? No, but it's good enough. They're not massively expensive.

If possible, try and get your doctor to test you for food intolerances too.

After the month is over, add in a herb that promotes relaxation. Some like Valerian. Or camomille tea. If you already take these, cool, just keep taking them.

You're pretty much 1/3rd of the way towards reducing physical reactivity. That will do so many things for you. It's just the best place to start. Start at the very beginning.

I say pretty much there, as if you aren't seeing enough of a difference after a while or using this therapy, and other therapies, you may need a chemically balancing pill like an antidepressant, or another herb.

Probably won't be hard for you at all, you seem well read on various health issues.

Once you have 1/3rd of the healing process taken care of, you can really get tackling the other 2, mental and spiritual healing. It's just best to balance the body first, as so many things can cause hormonal and other mental imbalances.[/QUOTE]

Great insight! You really do know your stuff? I'm definitely going to incorporate your suggestions in addition to my current regimen of (diet, exercise, and a good dose of happy thoughts). I will keep you posted. Thanks again for taking the time especially if its almost 3 am by you...wow.;)

Try_Repeat
04-21-2014, 02:19 AM
Hello, kcg

Definitely anxiety can be controlled somehow, by diaphragmatic breathing, some relaxation techniques etc. But the fact is, it can't be controlled in any period of time, sometimes these methods work and instantly remove symptoms of anxiety. Sometimes they don't. That's why you don't have to be attached to the idea of controlling your anxiety. Because if you get attached to it, your anxiety may grow. You think: "Oh I am so nervous. I have to get rid of it somehow! I will breath deeply! Oh it doesn't work! Why? Yesterday it worked! What should I do! I feel so bad! I have to get out of this!" No you haven't get rid of this! If you can't control it in the moment so be it! Accept it! You feel as you feel. Relax and let it be. (I don't mean you have to stop trying diaphragmatic breathing - it's a good practice! But if you can't influence your anxiety with this so be it. It's ok.)

Actually sometimes you can control anxiety by not having the desire to control, by accepting what you have. The article in the internet "Don’t Fight the Funk" reflects this idea. You can find it and read it. It is good.