PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol

BrookeLynnnn
04-19-2014, 03:49 AM
Can I drink on Paxil?

Anyone have experience with it??

I haven't drank in over a year cause my anxiety but lately I've been wanting to celebrate my 21st that passed in February because I was too scared to drink..

I just wanna go out & have a couple beers with friends.

If I drink & I panic, could I take a Xanax? Or will that mess me up even worse??

JohnC
04-19-2014, 05:09 AM
Hi BrookeLynnn,
They tell you not to drink but I have had a few beers on paxil, even had a couple of shots a time or two and I was ok BUT AND THIS IS IMPORTANT. IF YOU DRINK ON XANAX IT WILL AMPLIFY THE XANAX! I would not recomend drinking on xanax.

BrookeLynnnn
04-19-2014, 05:13 AM
Hi BrookeLynnn, They tell you not to drink but I have had a few beers on paxil, even had a couple of shots a time or two and I was ok BUT AND THIS IS IMPORTANT. IF YOU DRINK ON XANAX IT WILL AMPLIFY THE XANAX! I would not recomend drinking on xanax.

Well, I'm afraid if I do drink & I start to not like the feeling, that'll cause a panic attack. So if that happens, I'm screwed? Don't take the xanax?? Lol

JohnC
04-19-2014, 05:24 AM
Why dont you try like having a beer or two at home and see what or how it makes you feel? That way you will be in a "comfort" zone. If you have a panic attack and need to take a xanax at least you will be home because your gonna wanna sleep LOL. Xanax and a couple of beers = face on pillow. Maybe not that bad but it will make you very tired.

BrookeLynnnn
04-19-2014, 05:52 AM
Why dont you try like having a beer or two at home and see what or how it makes you feel? That way you will be in a "comfort" zone. If you have a panic attack and need to take a xanax at least you will be home because your gonna wanna sleep LOL. Xanax and a couple of beers = face on pillow. Maybe not that bad but it will make you very tired.

That's a good idea!! & I'm okay if it knocks me out! Lol I would rather it do that so I can sleep through the uncomfortable feeling!!

Dahila
04-19-2014, 07:04 AM
you could have a beer or two but do not take the xanax, beer will make you calm and sleepy ;)

solta
04-19-2014, 07:46 AM
I've taken xanax with alcohol. It amplifies the effect and can make you just lose all your inhibitions. I've done some crazy stuff back in the day :S. I wouldn't recommend mixing ANY meds with alcohol. They just don't go well together.

Dahila
04-19-2014, 08:19 AM
I've taken xanax with alcohol. It amplifies the effect and can make you just lose all your inhibitions. I've done some crazy stuff back in the day :S. I wouldn't recommend mixing ANY meds with alcohol. They just don't go well together.

taking the meds does not mean that you can not have drink or two. I never go over one or one beer and never had any problems. Strict diets, or any other shit does not work on us my dear;)))) Try to enjoy your life a bit not necessary to get intoxicated;))

BrookeLynnnn
04-19-2014, 01:07 PM
Thank for the replies everyone!!

I think seeing everyone else being able to drink socially has got me wishing I could.

Not to drink all the time but like on special occasions..

Like, I'm 21 now. I can order a beer out at dinner like everyone else. I wanna know what it's like to buy my first legal drink.. Sounds dumb but whatevvvvs lol.

If I get the guts, I'm gonna start off with the lowest percent beer & see how things go. Good thing I've always been a beer girl! Hard alcohol would messssss me up lol.

HockeyRules
04-19-2014, 02:07 PM
Thank for the replies everyone!! I think seeing everyone else being able to drink socially has got me wishing I could. Not to drink all the time but like on special occasions.. Like, I'm 21 now. I can order a beer out at dinner like everyone else. I wanna know what it's like to buy my first legal drink.. Sounds dumb but whatevvvvs lol. If I get the guts, I'm gonna start off with the lowest percent beer & see how things go. Good thing I've always been a beer girl! Hard alcohol would messssss me up lol.

I drank very well on Paxil. No worries. Ativan...= no drinking period. Or any benzo for that matter.

BrookeLynnnn
04-19-2014, 02:12 PM
I drank very well on Paxil. No worries. Ativan...= no drinking period. Or any benzo for that matter.

Okay thank you!! :)

bittersweetgirl
04-19-2014, 05:10 PM

Yep - Xanax plus alcohol = pillow! I've done it (TO sleep, in bad circumstances - NOT advisable... I know it's risky), but would never do it while out and about. I've had drinks on antidepressants, with either not noticeable or horrible results. Usually no problem if you've taken the med for a while - not so pretty if it's a new med (Wellbutrin, for me).

BrookeLynnnn
04-19-2014, 06:48 PM
Yep - Xanax plus alcohol = pillow! I've done it (TO sleep, in bad circumstances - NOT advisable... I know it's risky), but would never do it while out and about. I've had drinks on antidepressants, with either not noticeable or horrible results. Usually no problem if you've taken the med for a while - not so pretty if it's a new med (Wellbutrin, for me).

I've been on Paxil for almost 2 months..

I just wanted to know just for a safety net, that I had a way out if I felt uncomfortable when I drank.

So if anything, I'll drink close to home & if I feel panicky, I'll go home, take a xanax & go to sleep!! I don't think it'll happen but I like having a back up plan.

needtogetwell
04-19-2014, 07:17 PM
I've been on Paxil for almost 2 months.. I just wanted to know just for a safety net, that I had a way out if I felt uncomfortable when I drank. So if anything, I'll drink close to home & if I feel panicky, I'll go home, take a xanax & go to sleep!! I don't think it'll happen but I like having a back up plan.

Hey Brooke.

Good you have a plan. But I have to ask you this. Are the drinks worth the uncomfortable panicky feeling? I'm not saying not to drink at all but maybe really limit it. If you know you feel ok with one or two, then why push it?

You know I support you 100%. I just like to get you thinking in other directions sometimes.

You have come so far my sweet! Life keeps getting better and better for you! And btw , I really like the blue hair. Nice job!

Cheers Bella,
Pam

BrookeLynnnn
04-19-2014, 07:56 PM
Hey Brooke. Good you have a plan. But I have to ask you this. Are the drinks worth the uncomfortable panicky feeling? I'm not saying not to drink at all but maybe really limit it. If you know you feel ok with one or two, then why push it? You know I support you 100%. I just like to get you thinking in other directions sometimes. You have come so far my sweet! Life keeps getting better and better for you! And btw , I really like the blue hair. Nice job! Cheers Bella, Pam

I know, you're right!! So I was thinking of just slowly sipping on one drink for the night.

Thank you very much Pam!! You're awesome :)

bittersweetgirl
04-19-2014, 08:58 PM
I know, you're right!! So I was thinking of just slowly sipping on one drink for the night.

Thank you very much Pam!! You're awesome :)

Excellent idea :) Ask for cranberry juice and tonic alternating with an alcoholic drink, or something like that... you'll be fine, and still have fun!! If you have too much to drink, anxiety could hit hard the next day. Not worth it! Been there, etc. :)

BrookeLynnnn
04-19-2014, 09:43 PM
Excellent idea :) Ask for cranberry juice and tonic alternating with an alcoholic drink, or something like that... you'll be fine, and still have fun!! If you have too much to drink, anxiety could hit hard the next day. Not worth it! Been there, etc. :)

Thank you for the advice!! :)

I'm gonna hold myself to one drink!! Lol I'll let you guys know how it goes :)

BrookeLynnnn
04-19-2014, 10:36 PM
I came over to my sisters & got myself a beer that is 5%.

BrookeLynnnn
04-20-2014, 01:32 AM
Had about 2 1/2 beers & I just got home..

I actually had a good time. Thank you everyone for the advice! :)

JohnC
04-20-2014, 07:16 AM
Had about 2 1/2 beers & I just got home..

I actually had a good time. Thank you everyone for the advice! :)
So Glad to hear that. Having a good time is so important in whole mind/ anxiety/ stress world that we live in.

BrookeLynnnn
04-20-2014, 10:18 AM
So Glad to hear that. Having a good time is so important in whole mind/ anxiety/ stress world that we live in.

Thank you!!! & yes it is!! :)