PDA

View Full Version : Plan C - 'We are all very anxious' article

rickyingoo
04-17-2014, 03:43 PM
Hey guys,

I came across this article the other day, and I was wondering what you all thought about it?

It tries to put anxiety into a broader social history, starting with the struggle against misery in the 18th and 19th Centuries, then moving to the struggle against boredom in the 20th Century, before putting anxiety as the major emotional response to the way the world has worked for the last 40 years or so.

As I can't post links yet, you can do a google search for 'Plan C we are all very anxious' and it should be the top result. Sorry about that.

Thanks a lot,
Richard

Riley20
04-17-2014, 04:50 PM
Hi,

I think there could be something there with the theory. With increasing industrialisation and ultimately capitalism I think we as society have come to expect more and more importantly a large number of us come to expect more of ourselves.

A lot of people get anxious a lot of the time, it's just some of us feel it weigh us down heavier. But the majority of people at some point within their lives will probably have felt very similar to those of us with anxiety and/or depression. It is kind of becoming a way of life due to us expecting so much and pressure shows itself in a multitude of ways and I'm not sure for everybody for for me I definitely feel pressure to be 'good' at everything I do which I guess is only a reaction to the social climate. It's an interesting theory.