PDA

View Full Version : Is it wise to tell the world?

Macy2014
04-15-2014, 08:57 PM
I have been trying the whole time to look normal. I know there will be people who are kind enough to accept and understand your condition, but there will be more people who simply treat you like someone having mental illness and think that you are going crazy. I guess I never want to take the risk of making myself more stressful. Anxiety is already too much for me, I can't deal with depression. But I don't think I can keep up the pretense any longer. I think I am going to talk at least to my superior, but I am very worried about what may come. I am worried not only because it might cost me my job, but also the loss of faith in myself and other people. I wonder if this is the right thing to do, but I guess I don't have an option cause I don't think I can pretend to be well and fine anymore.

Yazzy
04-17-2014, 01:53 AM
Hiii :)

I think you should tell your supervisor. I used to bottle mine up and people used to wonder what the hell was wrong with me. I used to panic about going to work incase I had an anxiety attack and people would stare at me. It was a vicious circle... I kept having days off work. But eventually I had to tell them as I kept having disaplinarys. As it's a mental illness you cannot lose your job over it. Knowing my job was safe I no longer worried about losing it due to having anxiety. They are very understanding now and it feels so much better being open about it. I'm now allowed to take breaks whenever I feel anxious, and they have stopped me from doing jobs that sets off these attacks.
It was definitely worth telling them, I'd probably be a hermit in my room by now if I hadn't

Xxx

Macy2014
04-17-2014, 02:34 AM

I think you should tell your supervisor. I used to bottle mine up and people used to wonder what the hell was wrong with me. I used to panic about going to work incase I had an anxiety attack and people would stare at me. It was a vicious circle... I kept having days off work. But eventually I had to tell them as I kept having disaplinarys. As it's a mental illness you cannot lose your job over it. Knowing my job was safe I no longer worried about losing it due to having anxiety. They are very understanding now and it feels so much better being open about it. I'm now allowed to take breaks whenever I feel anxious, and they have stopped me from doing jobs that sets off these attacks.
It was definitely worth telling them, I'd probably be a hermit in my room by now if I hadn't

Xxx

Hi.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Means a lot.
You are lucky to have people who are so kind and understanding.
I am not sure whether I am gonna be as lucky as you. It might turn out to be a nightmare. People where I work can be quite judgemental. I am a bit freaked out to tell them but I guess I am gonna have to go through with it. I'm glad that everything went well for you.

AnxiousPsychGrad
04-17-2014, 03:18 AM
Completely understand where you're coming from. Since October (the start of my debilitating panic disorder), I haven't worked. I finally went on an interview on Monday, and I started to have a panic attack during the interview. I tried to breathe as deeply as possible without letting on that I was freaking out. I definitely can't tell someone looking to hire me that I suffer from severe anxiety. I'm sure not to get the job.
I think in your situation it would be best to tell your superior. Most (not all) people will understand. I know that my ideal job is somewhere that I can work with people who understand my illness and will support me when I'm in the midst of an attack.
Hope you find some peace about the situation.

Macy2014
04-17-2014, 03:51 AM
Completely understand where you're coming from. Since October (the start of my debilitating panic disorder), I haven't worked. I finally went on an interview on Monday, and I started to have a panic attack during the interview. I tried to breathe as deeply as possible without letting on that I was freaking out. I definitely can't tell someone looking to hire me that I suffer from severe anxiety. I'm sure not to get the job.
I think in your situation it would be best to tell your superior. Most (not all) people will understand. I know that my ideal job is somewhere that I can work with people who understand my illness and will support me when I'm in the midst of an attack.
Hope you find some peace about the situation.

Hi, there. You are absolutely right. It's most ideal for all the people suffering from anxiety. I do hope everyone finds such a place where there is no judgement, but support only. I am definitely nervous about what is going to come, but now I feel calm reading you guys' posts. Hang in there, you will find one. And I will find it too.

Riley20
04-17-2014, 05:09 AM

Xxx

I agree with Yazzy.

My anxiety comes within periods of time, sometimes I'll have a good couple of months followed by an awful next few months. The last time I suffered in silence at work and tried very hard to keep it under wraps but this time I had to have time off due to it but when I went back I explained and they've been really nice about it and are always asking if they can do anything to help so at the minute it's a lot easier than how it was before. Now if I need to take a few minutes its fine or just to chat to someone to take my mind off how I feel they're really good about it. So I agree with Yazzy it's always worth telling them, but I understand it is very difficult. I suggest if you trust someone at work to choose them to tell, it especially helps if you already have a good relationship with the person you intend to talk about it with.

Good luck!