PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else think anxiety has had a positive effect on you?

solta
04-13-2014, 04:51 PM
I haven't posted here in ages since I've gotten a lot better. I haven't had panic attacks in 4-6 months I think and even the "normal" anxiety has pretty much gone away. I've had anxiety for so many years and it has finally gotten a lot better and I've started to think about how it has changed me.

I do feel like I'm a bit glad I've gone through all this. I was always a quiet guy and quite introverted too but when my anxiety got really bad I turned into a sort of a "yes" man. I started doing things, meeting new people, eating healthy, exercise etc and all of those have of course had a positive effect on me. And to be honest, I wouldn't have done any of them if my anxiety hadn't gotten as bad as it did. And I also feel like a really strong person having gone through all that I have. I can relate to those who are going through it. And more importantly I know that life has its downs but they can always be overcome if I put my mind into it.

When the anxiety was bad I didn't feel this way. I wasn't happy about it but now I... I sorta am. I'm happy that I had/have anxiety as silly as it may sound. I'm a better, happier person now.

So I don't know. Is it weird that I think this way? Do you think you have gotten anything positive from anxiety?

mellymel
04-13-2014, 08:39 PM
That's a good question! I definitely think I can take something positive away from my experience with anxiety.

Two of the most important for me would be 1) when I am happy and have good moments in life, I appreciate them a lot more since I spend a lot of time in fear and anxious. Something that I don't think regular people may appreciate as much as those like us. 2) I honestly realize the passage of time and try my hardest to make the most of it everyday. I have spent so much of the past two years obsessing and worrying over the silliest things, that it made me realize that life is so short and time will not stand still and wait for me to get better.

jessed03
04-13-2014, 08:39 PM
You learn from suffering, no doubt. It teaches you things, it helps you uncover things you may not have uncovered otherwise.

It gives you wisdom too.

I'm glad you've at least found something positive from your journey.

I suppose for me, the words of a wise poet sum it up best. If wisdom comes from suffering, I wish to be less wise ;)

mellymel
04-13-2014, 08:40 PM
And I am glad that you are feeling better :)

GeneAllen
04-14-2014, 07:24 AM
Most definitely. Benefits are enormous. However there is no need to continue to suffer to learn. Keep the learning, and insights coming in. So glad you are feeling better. Good attitude is a must. Sounds like you got it.

Peace

solta
04-17-2014, 07:42 AM
Most definitely. Benefits are enormous. However there is no need to continue to suffer to learn. Keep the learning, and insights coming in. So glad you are feeling better. Good attitude is a must. Sounds like you got it.

Peace

Yeah that's exactly what I thought. There's no need to continue to suffer to learn. But honestly, it was a long journey and still is, but I think any less wouldn't have been enough. Might sound weird but that's just how I feel. It got to the point where I just needed to face all my fears and deal with them instead of running away. I knew where I would get panic attacks and I still chose to go there even though I didn't need to. I would stand in queue in the grocery store having a panic attack and just staying there. Not caring about what other people thought or how I felt. I had to.

Michael33
04-17-2014, 06:02 PM
I share the same view as you do. I learned so many things on this journey, and I'm a lot better now as well.. Feeling just a few more months away from full recovery, as I've been getting progressively better with each week.

1)Cut smoking from almost a pack a day to maybe 3-5 a day, finding it much easier to quit. Waiting to recover more because some of the withdrawal from cigarettes might be a bit overwhelming right now.
2)I excercise for 3-4 hours every day, between gym and soccer, fittest I've ever been.
3)Stopped drinking coffee
4)Learned how to limit stress by changing the way(s) I react to stressful situations, which in turn makes me a calmer and better person.
5)I really learned who my real friends are, the people who were there for me and made genuine efforts to spend time with me through my highs and lows.
6)My eating is very strict and healthy now.

And overall, when I do have my 'happy', or normal periods in the day, I dont only feel better from my anxiety, but I feel better than when I was perfectly fine.

OmfgJaney
04-17-2014, 06:06 PM
..........................NO.

trinidiva
04-17-2014, 07:52 PM
My quick answer initially was going to be no...but the more I think about it.....I have s much better diet, I dont drink or smoke, I make sure I get proper sleep and exercise more frequently then before all of this started. On top of that. ...I have had just about every test and blood work that I can think of so I know im physically healthy.

soManyProblems
04-18-2014, 10:48 AM
No.

My anxiety does have a few positive consequences, but the net effect is hugely negative. Without question. I am a little sad to think how much better my life might be without anxiety. My anxiety makes me feel bad every single day. My anxiety has postponed so many of my goals, but at least I am working toward them anyway, just at a slower pace.

Kashman31591
04-18-2014, 11:24 PM
I certainly would not be who I am today without anxiety. It's made me a much more empathetic person and I can understand almost any situation because my brain has put me there at one time or another. Annoying as hell but made me a better person I think.

solta
04-19-2014, 12:11 PM
No.

My anxiety does have a few positive consequences, but the net effect is hugely negative. Without question. I am a little sad to think how much better my life might be without anxiety. My anxiety makes me feel bad every single day. My anxiety has postponed so many of my goals, but at least I am working toward them anyway, just at a slower pace.

It did the same for me and to a certain extent still does. But during all these changes I've noticed that my life has become much more enjoyable after the anxiety has started to go away. I've met so many new people because I needed it to feel better. If it wasn't for anxiety I'd still probably be doing nothing more than playing video games and have no friends. I feel my anxiety was there for a reason even though at the time I certainly didn't feel like that. I firmly believe that everyone can overcome this disease and live a happy life. I felt like that during the worst of times and I think its one reason why I'm getting better.

solta
04-19-2014, 12:13 PM
I certainly would not be who I am today without anxiety. It's made me a much more empathetic person and I can understand almost any situation because my brain has put me there at one time or another. Annoying as hell but made me a better person I think.

Same thing here. I've started to care about other people way more. I just want to do my best to be happy and the project that on to others

Ritch
04-19-2014, 04:48 PM
I agree totally with Kashman and solta. I feel I am now a much more understanding and empathetic person because of what I have experienced, I try my best to be open minded and to try view the world through someone Else's eyes before I make a judgement or assumption.

I also think that it is one of the reasons behind my ability to analyse and think critically, they come in handy with things like university

bittersweetgirl
04-19-2014, 05:25 PM
No.

This. Actually it applies more towards my brother, who struggles even more than me. We're in our 40s, had lots of potential, but due to circumstances beyond our control plus our overactive nervous systems, we struggle every day.

On the positive side, I'm a good listener and I want to listen to and help others, and I NEVER judge anyone if they're "too" sensitive, or "too" reactive, or "too" whatever. I'm the one to come to if you're having a rotten night at 1 am, even if your reasons make no sense to anyone else.

solta
04-20-2014, 04:58 PM
I know people have different experiences with anxiety and how it affects them. I tried to find good things about anxiety and instead of focusing on the negative ones I would focus on the good. That had a positive effect on me. I think that's probably the most valuable thing when it comes to dealing with mental health issues. Well, for me at least.

Irish Sammie
04-23-2014, 03:53 PM
It was suggested that I post my little story by my buddy Exactice here to give people some idea of how anxiety can be good for you..........................

The other day I was sitting on a bench in a fairly busy park area, I was just people watching and training myself to sit around busy public areas. I started to feel a rush come over me, thinking it was the start of a panic attack, I looked around me for a distraction. I looked across from me and I saw this gorgeous girl sitting by herself, minding her own business. I just struck up a conversation with her because I needed an immediate re-focus on something to keep my mind occupied. She was such a lovely girl, we ended up laughing and having a really nice conversation.

Would I have done it if I hadn't felt like I did? Probably not. I'm not the type to just start randomly sparking up conversations with good looking women, but in this situation, my anxiety creating an opportunity that otherwise I'd not have had the courage to do.

It's strange how that was helpful, huh? :)

laura1989
04-23-2014, 05:04 PM
a real benefit would definitely be becoming wiser and more self-aware. *sigh* but even to that end, it seems that with wisdom and knowledge of truth comes a certain degree of sadness.

i find that i'm better equipped to empathize with people on the whole, and that i'm probably a better listener when people come to me for advice. i think it makes you mentally stronger as well, i definitely have my moments but i can usually deal with things relatively well.

johnqaz741
04-24-2014, 01:25 AM
Anxiety gave me new perspective .
And value life of self and others