PDA

View Full Version : Asthma (reliever inhaler) & Panic Attacks

Chatative
04-12-2014, 03:29 AM
Hey folks,

So, I just used my Salbutamol reliever inhaler & suddenly my heart rate was fast & going up and down a lot. I also feel shaky. Now, I know that these are common side effects but it's never happened to me before. I hadn't used it for a week almost now until this morning.

Not only that, but I got a bit light headed & had a feeling of numbness coming over me. Now that's something I recognize from the couple of times I've had a Panic Attack. Those were both whilst on drugs though & not recently, I've never had one outwith that.

I've had increased anxiety over the past couple of weeks anyway, I'm going to go ahead & guess that the side effects caused me to anxious & put me on the verge of a panic attack.

Anyone else have any experience like that? I know I've seen 1 or 2 posters mention they use inhalers recently.

On other news, I've filled out a CAARs form I was sent (Adult ADHD questionnaire), which I've sent back & am now awaiting an appointment for assessment.

I'm probably at the worst I have been anxiety wise in general for a long time since getting a cold. I felt extremely down whilst I was ill & now with these 2 hyperactive episodes I've had since, there is clearly something going on.

I really saw improvement using Vitamin D & starting Running anxiety wise a couple of months back. I think exercise helps me to keep a lid on things... haven't been able to do any for almost 2 weeks now. :(

Oh well, just have to soldier on.

Chat.

Dahila
04-12-2014, 07:06 AM
Yes Salbutamol and others inhalers can cause, they cause your heartbeat go up. Go back in time when there were inhalers that almost killed you heheehe, I had asthma from birth. what about Ephedrine which was common medication for asthma sufferers,
Try not to go over 8 doses in 24 hours and you should be good. Remember that the hearbeat goes up only for some time. :)
I am doubting the help of vitamin D, not in running though:)

Chatative
04-12-2014, 12:25 PM
I felt quite on edge for about 3-4 hours. Only really just feeling back to normal now... my heart rate didn't stay up long but the anxiety seemed to hang around.

Thankfully I don't have to use my inhaler often at all. Usually just 2 puffs before any running & that's it. I'm not sure what made today different... hopefully it won't happen again! At least I'll be more in tune with what happens when you get side effects with the inhaler, hopefully worry less next time....

I just took some Magnesium as well... noticing I'm clenching my teeth a bit. Don't want my TMJ to come back again.

Well, time for Dinner :)