PDA

View Full Version : Looking for parenting resources?

megtayler
04-30-2008, 10:10 AM
I hope I've come to the right place? I'm looking for resources for parenting my 10yo son, who seems to go through periodic bouts of anxiety.

We've been doing pretty good by watching his diet and making sure he gets enough sleep. But lately he's been getting wobbly at school. Assorted aches and pains, shaking hands, "weak" legs. Hard to get out of bed. There's nothing seriously wrong in his life right now that we can pin this on. He's a popular, well-liked kid.

I know he'll "get over it" eventually on his own - he always does - but if there's a way I can shorten the duration or maybe even head off the anxiety before it gets this bad, I'd love to know about it.

Any advice? Recommended resources?

Thanks! :)

strezzed
04-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Has he been to a doctor to be sure that it is Anxiety? I dont know of any resourses but i bet if you google and type in " resourses for children with anxiety", that something will pop up even type in the area you live in to find help near you :)

megtayler
04-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Has he been to a doctor to be sure that it is Anxiety? I dont know of any resourses but i bet if you google and type in " resourses for children with anxiety", that something will pop up even type in the area you live in to find help near you :)

Thanks! Actually, that's just what I've been doing this afternoon! :) I've found lots of useful pdfs and such. BC Anxiety has good stuff on kids which I can use. No message boards, though...

His doctor says he's hypoglycemic, and that's certainly part of it. Getting him on the right diet has made a world of difference. It hasn't completely leveled him out, though.

I just found out from reading that he wouldn't be considered to have an anxiety "disorder" unless he was experiencing symptoms for six months straight. Yikes! A few weeks here or there, a few times a year... I don't know what I'd call that. It's reassuring, I guess, but I still hate to see him feeling bad for no good reason (that we can tell, anyway).

strezzed
04-30-2008, 02:57 PM
I Private messaged you.

megtayler
04-30-2008, 04:55 PM
I Private messaged you.

Thank you! The parenting UK forum link is absolutely perfect. I even found several archived threads about coping with anxious kids. This is exactly what I was looking for. :-)

strezzed
04-30-2008, 06:57 PM
8) Glad it you can use it. :goodjob: