PDA

View Full Version : Extreme claustrophobia in lifts: help!

Drummergirl
04-04-2014, 05:20 PM
I've had this problem on and off since i was a teen (now 44). Recently it has got worse.

Problem is, i need to get into a lift in 1.5 weeks for a work meeting. It's only to the fourth floor, but i can't even go to the first floor, and when the doors go to close, i freak out! And usually try to run out, or don't get in at all. I have been avoiding lifts for years now. The building i have to enter is a high security building, where you need swipe cards for everything, and i'm not sure there is an accessible stairwell (one that is not armed as a fire escape).

I am freaking out! I'm not sure what to do with my employer, whether to tell them somehow, or just try to get into the lift, which i doubt i will be able to.

I can barely sleep, and it's always on my mind. I've also been having generalised anxiety attacks lately, due to this situation. I have also been considering exposure therapy, but am not sure whether i'll have time.

I was thinking of telling my employer that i get vertigo in lifts and will need to use a staircase (what if there is no accessible staircase?).

Any ideas? What have people done in employment situations like this?

Enduronman
04-04-2014, 05:35 PM
Just get in, and look down into a book of some sort and close your eyes until you hear the 4th bell ring...you can do this.
And, if you're so worried about this...call the building office and ask about a stair way?...

E-Man... :)

Dahila
04-04-2014, 06:01 PM
ok welcome girlfriend, I am the same, I freak out in closed spaces... My daughter chose the 9 floor , jeez I got there maybe once in 3 months. I get into elevator and close my eyes and observe my tummy, breathing, it is the key....I know it is awful, but I am doing it for well , here for 22 years already. Good luck and relax. Do not inform anyone, people do not understand it, especially the bosses:)

Drummergirl
04-04-2014, 07:12 PM
ok welcome girlfriend, I am the same, I freak out in closed spaces... My daughter chose the 9 floor , jeez I got there maybe once in 3 months. I get into elevator and close my eyes and observe my tummy, breathing, it is the key....I know it is awful, but I am doing it for well , here for 22 years already. Good luck and relax. Do not inform anyone, people do not understand it, especially the bosses:)

I hear what you're saying, but i might not get a choice. I have to be up there and it is high security. It's either that, or i lie and call in sick, but what will i do next month when i have to do the same thing?

My anxiety is so debilitating that i can't even let the doors shut. I was going to tell them i get vertigo and nausia anyway.

I might try to call the building manager on the side and ask him / her if they can organise it. Good suggestion.

Enduronman
04-04-2014, 07:22 PM
I would call the building main line and just ask if they have public stairways or even look it up online and check out the building itself.
If it isn't a skyscraper, more then likely it has a public stairway especially anything lower than say 20 stories..
You may be worrying about nothing...in all honesty.
I can truly empathize with you, I get a weird feeling when I'm in a elevator and I always begin looking for the escape routes but by the time I find it, I'm already there...

E-Man.. :)

NixonRulz
04-04-2014, 07:22 PM
A lift is an elevator for is US folk, correct

If so, what do you call a escalator?

Dahila
04-04-2014, 07:44 PM
Stairways is good option if it is possible, have behind me 11 flours every week for a long time. :)
Nixon excuse me not only for US folks, I am Canadian folk :))