PDA

View Full Version : Accommodate or fight?

private13
04-04-2014, 12:24 PM
I could use some advice. My wife has been suffering for over a year with muscle tension, always in the pelvic region but often throughout the rest of the body as well. This makes it very difficult to relax enough to urinate which makes her not want to go anywhere. She's seen many kinds of doctors and they either say they don't know what is wrong or they come up with some theory that contradicts a theory a different person comes up with. None of the suggested treatments has had much of an effect. If you google muscle tension, you get anxiety as one of the top causes. She is an anxious person and she will admit that anxiety may be have contributed to the problem but nevertheless she will lash out at any suggestion that she should try to get some help for her anxiety by saying either that her anxiety is warranted, accuse me of thinking she is crazy, or say they'd just try to give her some dangerous drug to treat it. I would guess that the doctors would have mentioned this but she doesn't report that to me.

I tend not to think that highly of myself and probably due to too much thinking about the Münchhausen Trilemma I'm not very confident of much but my wife is so confident in her opinions that it makes me start to doubt my own. The latest issue is a state chess tournament in a couple weeks that my 8-year old son has qualified to go to that is about a 55 mile drive. He started playing tournaments about 7 months ago and this would be his 6th tournament I think. My wife says she'd be fine with this trip if the whole family went even though 90% of the time my son would be a room away from us playing. She can't go though because of her bathroom problems. When you ask why we shouldn't go on the trip if she can't go then she says it makes her anxious and that he's been to enough tournaments and doesn't feel that it is a state tournament that he has qualified for makes any difference. This trip is only a slightly longer drive in terms of distance than other tournament trips and may even be shorter in terms of driving time. For some reason, she has become fearful of this particular driving path. She would prefer a situation where we all go on the trip and get injured or die in a crash than a situation where just two of us go and die. To me, driving this trip is not particularly dangerous and certainly not dangerous enough that the danger of driving would factor into my decision process. She thinks we should do whatever she asks to reduce her anxiety but my opinion is that we cannot live our lives based on fear.

So, if someone has anxiety issues and won't admit it is a problem or get help, how do you balance accommodating their anxiety and trying to live your own life absent fear?

Enduronman
04-04-2014, 12:54 PM
This is tough..
It appears that her anxiety is rubbing off on you..
You both seem to overthink and over analyze everything together...
Yet she has the issue with the bathroom..
Hmmmmm...
It would be somewhat selfish of either of you to deprive your son of an opportunity to play in any tournament tbh, imho..
Besides, you're not driving a roadway in Columbia either..doubtful of any solid chances of death anywhere else will be minimal..
You're obviously well educated and so is she, what is the problem with "admitting" an anxiety disorder???
Fear of reprisals....fear of being Judged by others..yet hiding from the World..
This is a tough one for me to read and also to decipher.
Do you also have anxiety? Ever thought of therapy for you both? What Country are you in, if I may ask??...

Just trying to "empathize" with you both..

Enduronman.. :)

private13
04-04-2014, 01:24 PM
She admits a degree of anxiety but doesn't feel that it is a disorder. I don't know whether that is a true opinion or self-serving so as not to have to view oneself as having a mental problem, which she would probably associate with shame or pride. We are both Ph.D.'s so putting so much importance on your mind and rationality it would perhaps be harder to admit that some part of your mind was acting irrationally. When discussing this issue, I was weighing my son's desire to go against my wife's anxiety so part of it was how much does my son want to go. So we asked him and he said 10 out of 10. Now, my wife has several times out of the blue lashed out at him verbally, accusing him of liking chess more than her and then refusing to do things for him that she normally would because "if he likes chess more than me then chess can do it for him." This is the first time I've seen this behavior in the 11 years I've known her. Certainly being sick for over a year has put her on constant edge.

I don't have anxiety, I think. Like they say, the first step is admitting you have a problem. I haven't known many people as well as I know her so I don't know her anxiety compare to the population as a whole. It could be crazy high or just a little high I don't know. Likewise, I don't know if my own anxiety level is normal or so low as to imply recklessness. I don't think it is the latter. If she won't admit that she has an abnormally high anxiety level then suggesting therapy would be instantly rejected. We live in the U.S. but she was raised in a formerly communist eastern European country.

Enduronman
04-04-2014, 02:24 PM
Yes..
There are those words, shame, and pride.
To admit to an anxiety disorder, would touch deeply on a subject that she tries so hard to deny.
Hence, lashing out at the child for liking something more then he does her..which is very harshly disturbing, in it's own right.
It is merely her, trying to fight this anxiety alone, and therefore triggering such outburst...placing blame elsewhere is easy to try, to do..
No, you don't have anxiety except for the "anxieties" that for which she is (applying and or implying) to you...her worries become your worries until you dismiss..
You know it's absurd, ridiculous, childish, immature, to think the things that she does, in the manner in which she is..
The European origin may have something to do with this also, so as to not play into a weakness as she sees this to be but more than likely her Degree is more valid...
You're both extremely intelligent, that is obvious, and so is your son too,,we just don't want him to pick up on these traits and characteristics also..
Protect him, we must..we must find that way to get him to that Tournament and to do what it is that he so loves..10 out of 10..
I'm guessing he's almost a teenager by now..if not too far from that..
Accomodate or fight?
hmmm...if it means a fight is brewing if you take him, then a fight it is..
It's about time to realize this disorder and this may be one of the first steps is persuading her to actually do so...
It's OK, Ph.D's have illnesses too, just like everyone else and you are not exempt from them because of a high level of education, Degrees..
Now, how to convince her of such, is another story and another task at hand..

Take him to his match.

Enduronman.. :)