PDA

View Full Version : Hormonal anxiety at 27?

Jenny McNamee
04-04-2014, 01:07 AM
Hi there, I am new to the forum, although I have been reading it for help for many months now I finally decided to register.

I have had very mild anxiety for about 2 years now, had just a couple major panic attacks and then other than that nothing....until the past few months. It came on so suddenly about three months ago, every day nagging at me, wanting to crawl out of my skin. I decided to try Citilopram since my one friend had wonderful results with it. bad idea. i had a horrible reaction to it, and everyone told me to stick it out for the first week or more, but it was literally unbearable. So needless to say, I had a very bad reaction. made anxiety way worse, turned me into a zombie, super sick and throwing up, couldn't sleep at all, and when I did I woke up gasping for air. Since then I am extremely afraid to try other medications, since I also have a track record of being very hypersensitive to lots of drugs. SO trying to go about this as natural as possible. Started taking magnesium and omega 3's and that has helped nicely, the magnesium calms me. I also take L-Theanine. But the thing that gets me is the heart palpitations. As soon as I have one I think I am dying, and then spiral down from there for the rest of the day until i eventually pass out from exhaustion.

Lately, I have been really thinking about when my episodes get the worst and when I am ok. And I have come to the conclusion (in my head) that my anxiety might be hormone related. During and the week after my period, I feel actually quite well. But the second week after and week before are hellish. And so this is why I believe it is hormones. I also, have some of the other symptoms of a pre-menopausal state....such as hot flashes, worsened PMS, low sex drive, fatigue, trouble sleeping. I am going to go to my doctor for a hormone test hopefully soon.

Now that you know my history, I was wondering if anyone else out there has the same issue as me. I googled everywhere I could and I feel so alone right now.

lucy88
04-04-2014, 02:17 AM
Hi, I get palpitations and I think I'm dying it's awful it's even worse if I go out and get them when I'm out. My anxiety gets really bad when I'm due on I think I probly only have one week a month where I feel ok 2 weeks before I'd when it starts for me I cry at anything I was having lots of panic attacks but I try to control them now I feel dizzy and really tired I just want to not leave my house when my period is due.

needtogetwell
04-04-2014, 03:52 AM
Hi there, I am new to the forum, although I have been reading it for help for many months now I finally decided to register. I have had very mild anxiety for about 2 years now, had just a couple major panic attacks and then other than that nothing....until the past few months. It came on so suddenly about three months ago, every day nagging at me, wanting to crawl out of my skin. I decided to try Citilopram since my one friend had wonderful results with it. bad idea. i had a horrible reaction to it, and everyone told me to stick it out for the first week or more, but it was literally unbearable. So needless to say, I had a very bad reaction. made anxiety way worse, turned me into a zombie, super sick and throwing up, couldn't sleep at all, and when I did I woke up gasping for air. Since then I am extremely afraid to try other medications, since I also have a track record of being very hypersensitive to lots of drugs. SO trying to go about this as natural as possible. Started taking magnesium and omega 3's and that has helped nicely, the magnesium calms me. I also take L-Theanine. But the thing that gets me is the heart palpitations. As soon as I have one I think I am dying, and then spiral down from there for the rest of the day until i eventually pass out from exhaustion. Lately, I have been really thinking about when my episodes get the worst and when I am ok. And I have come to the conclusion (in my head) that my anxiety might be hormone related. During and the week after my period, I feel actually quite well. But the second week after and week before are hellish. And so this is why I believe it is hormones. I also, have some of the other symptoms of a pre-menopausal state....such as hot flashes, worsened PMS, low sex drive, fatigue, trouble sleeping. I am going to go to my doctor for a hormone test hopefully soon. Now that you know my history, I was wondering if anyone else out there has the same issue as me. I googled everywhere I could and I feel so alone right now.

Hi Jenny!

Welcome to the forum! Glad you decided to join!

If you've been reading posts for a while you have probably seen the subject of hormones and periods go around every so often. You are quite correct in assuming that hormones are involved,

Not sure how old you are but if you are at least in your 40's the possibility of perimenopause is quite real. I know the symptoms you are feeling! I'm living them too.

I don't take any meds either and was recently doing some research on Maca. This is considered a superfood and apparently can help big time with hormonal fluctuations at this point in life. I have recently started using it and can say that it seems to be working.

If you google maca + perimenopause you can get some more information.

I'm believing that if I get the hormones balanced them the anxiety caused by them will settle down too. Anyway the prospect of HRT scares me.

Hope this helps a bit.
Good luck! And again welcome!
Pam

Jenny McNamee
04-04-2014, 02:57 PM
I understand you completely! I never thought I would look forward to my period so much, ever! When I get it I know I get some time to breathe. Have you thought about getting your hormones tested? I have read that people with hormonal issues that lead to anxiety have low progesterone.

Jenny McNamee
04-04-2014, 03:01 PM
Hi Jenny!

Welcome to the forum! Glad you decided to join!

If you've been reading posts for a while you have probably seen the subject of hormones and periods go around every so often. You are quite correct in assuming that hormones are involved,

Not sure how old you are but if you are at least in your 40's the possibility of perimenopause is quite real. I know the symptoms you are feeling! I'm living them too.

I don't take any meds either and was recently doing some research on Maca. This is considered a superfood and apparently can help big time with hormonal fluctuations at this point in life. I have recently started using it and can say that it seems to be working.

If you google maca + perimenopause you can get some more information.

I'm believing that if I get the hormones balanced them the anxiety caused by them will settle down too. Anyway the prospect of HRT scares me.

Hope this helps a bit.
Good luck! And again welcome!
Pam

Thanks for the welcome! I am only 28 so that is why it has been hard for me to find information I think. I also, have been on the pill since I was 15 and have read that can really mess up things. I am not sure about maca, but I have read some reviews on it from women saying it doesn't work and it's a money grab. But then again everyone is different. I also have fibromyalgia so that really does not help things with me! I am just so confused as to why these past few months have been so ridiculous! I have never been this bad.... and nothing happened in my life to trigger it either? I think i am going to try to get a bunch of heart tests done just for ease of mind, so that when i get a palpitation i can tell myself that it is nothing and it will be ok.

lucy88
04-08-2014, 03:42 PM
I understand you completely! I never thought I would look forward to my period so much, ever! When I get it I know I get some time to breathe. Have you thought about getting your hormones tested? I have read that people with hormonal issues that lead to anxiety have low progesterone.

Yeah I have and there all ok have you?