PDA

View Full Version : how long can it last?

motif
04-26-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi there,
I'm new here, I was told by few already I have anxiety going on
although still cannot quite believe it. Started like 4 months ago with
tingling in my legs, then in my hands too and part of the face. In addition
general weakness, heavy legs, dizziness etc. All these come and go every
few days. Also from time to time I'm getting additional symptoms like pain in chest in different places, that I thought once I am having heart attack and was taken to ER. ECG, blood test, CT scan of head all good. I am supposed to do lumbar and brain MRI yet but my doc, neurologist and my wife are telling me it's anxiety. Is it all possible by anxiety?
I'm usually very active, like running in the park, swimming etc, now that thing ruined my days.

strezzed
04-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Gee you sound like me. I too have tingling and was told its stress. I think I am having mini stokes. I am finding out more and more that tingling and numbness is also anxiety. And yes anxiety can do weird and wonderful things to a person and unforuntely we now know this.

motif
04-28-2008, 01:19 PM
And yes anxiety can do weird and wonderful things to a person and unforuntely we now know this.

I'd rather have those wonderful part please... :shock:

strezzed
04-28-2008, 07:50 PM
I know you would, But I can tell you if you try to keep busy and not focus on it so much. It will lessen in intensity. This has helped me alot.

Robbed
04-29-2008, 05:30 AM
I'd rather have those wonderful part please... :shock:

I don't think you typcally feel that there was ANYTHING wonderful about anxiety until you are fully recovered.

motif
04-29-2008, 08:06 AM
I don't think you typcally feel that there was ANYTHING wonderful about anxiety until you are fully recovered.

I remember my anxiety years ago when I was getting married or =my son was about to be born and it was all good, nice pleasing feeling...what happened to that kind of anxiety??? :cry:

don't tell me I should get married again... :mrgreen:

strezzed
04-29-2008, 08:09 AM
:mrgreen: I have heard this expression but your right there is no wonderful part to anxiety. Maybe think back to think back to the good memories of the day your son was born and when you got married.

motif
04-29-2008, 09:16 AM
wait a minute, maybe that's the problem...I need to change something drastically in my life to get to normal! Maybe anxiety is just warning sign
to take some action before is not too late?

strezzed
04-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Yes I believe that. I am cleaning up everything in this house as it is to hectic and I am making big changes to try and help myself not to have so much anxiety. I was rasied that cludder cuboards means cluddered minds. Anything to have a calmer life style I am doing it.

Robbed
04-29-2008, 06:41 PM
I remember my anxiety years ago when I was getting married or =my son was about to be born and it was all good, nice pleasing feeling...what happened to that kind of anxiety??? :cry:

don't tell me I should get married again... :mrgreen:

I'm not going to tell you to get married again. BUT, you have to remember the differences between the 'pleasant' anxiety of getting married, having a child, sitting at the starting line at the local drag strip while waiting for the light to turn green, etc, and the VERY unpleasant anxiety of anxiety disorder. First of all, there are the positive aspects to each of these aforementioned events (and others that elicit similar feelings) that simply aren't present with anxiety disorder. As we all know ALL too well, there is NOTHING positive about anxiety disorder (apart from the positive changes that you may make as a result). Secondly, anxious feelings are entirely normal and typical under these kinds of circumstances. So the fact that you are feeling anxious does not scare you. But with anxiety disorder, there is so often the feeling that things in life just aren't that bad, yet you feel HORRIBLE for 'no good reason'. This adds a 'second fear' - a fear of the fact that you are feeling fear. Thirdly, anxiety resulting from anxiety disorder is typically MUCH, MUCH, MUCH stronger than 'healthy anxiety'. And finally (and probably MOST importantly), there is hopelessness. When feeling 'healthy anxiety', there is always the knowledge that it will go away when the event causing it passes. For instance, if you are facing a final exam, there is the knowledge that once you finish the exam, you will feel REALLY good. But as we all know, part of the problem with anxiety disorder is the fear that it is permanent. Or at least that it will last a REALLY long time. This is, of course, made even worse by doctors, psychologists, psychiatrists, etc, who tell you that anxiety is an illness that can only be 'treated', but never 'cured'. And, of course, there are the resulting fears that anxiety disorder is going to ruin your life. Naturally, all this negativity that surrounds anxiety disorder (but not healthy anxiety) gives the anxiety a much darker, more fearful, and more depressing note.

Is it any wonder why anxiety disorder is SO much more frightening than real-world fear?