PDA

View Full Version : scared of sedation

rusticnrg
03-31-2014, 05:57 AM
Hi all! I have to get an endoscopy done Wednesday and I am extremely nervous since I have to be under sedation for it. I have never been under before and I don't know what to expect. I hate being out of control. I am most nervous about how I will feel when I wake up. I am ready to cancel this appointment. What is your experience with this?

lucy88
03-31-2014, 06:12 AM
I'm scared of this to!! I think when I have a wisdom tooth out they want to put me to sleep but it's not happening! I'm really scared it's a big fear for me!

needtogetwell
03-31-2014, 07:17 AM
Hi all! I have to get an endoscopy done Wednesday and I am extremely nervous since I have to be under sedation for it. I have never been under before and I don't know what to expect. I hate being out of control. I am most nervous about how I will feel when I wake up. I am ready to cancel this appointment. What is your experience with this?

Hi rustic,

Don't worry about the sedation, they only use enough for a very shout period of time.

I have had so much sedation for procedures and the worst that has ever happened is I threw up. A little Gravol if necessary when you wake up and you will be good to go. You may want to sleep some more after the procedure but odds are nothing more than that.

Hope this helps.
Pam

Dweeb
03-31-2014, 09:37 AM
This was also my biggest fear til about a month ago thats when i had to be put to sleep its not as bad as it seems and u may just feel groggy at 1st and maybe a little sick but u'll be ok :D

rusticnrg
03-31-2014, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the replies. What I am scared of most is waking up and having a panic attack because I feel loopy. ugh I am a mess.

bittersweetgirl
03-31-2014, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the replies. What I am scared of most is waking up and having a panic attack because I feel loopy. ugh I am a mess.

I've had general anesthesia a few times... never feel loopy when I wake up. You're totally out, then it seems like there's about 30 seconds where they're saying your name and asking you questions that you can't yet answer, then bam - you're alert. Even if you do feel bad in some way, you're monitored closely afterwards, so you'll have a nurse handy to give you whatever meds you need for anxiety or nausea, or to talk you through it. That's been my experience, anyway! Now, there IS a bit of loopiness as you go under, but that's rather fun :)

Niicole Lynne
03-31-2014, 10:13 PM
I'm supposed to get my gall bladder out and I haven't because I'm more afraid of going under than anything

nikki_marie21
04-01-2014, 08:15 AM
I'm supposed to get my gall bladder out and I haven't because I'm more afraid of going under than anything. If there is one surgery you will be happy for getting done it's gallbladder surgery! I was terrified for the surgery ..and I was alone for it because I had asked my mother to stay with my children so I had at least that bit of comfort knowing they were safe ... I told the docs how scared I was and they gave me something to calm me down before going under then all of a sudden .. I'm awake! And the surgery was done! It felt like I had not slept at all .. Just opened my eyes and there was a nurse there talking to me