PDA

View Full Version : Chest Tightness and Feeling Airless?

Vasquez
03-31-2014, 12:32 AM
Hi, uhm.. I've been suffering with this for the past few months, and it's gotten to the point where I can't really function around people or in public.
I've noticed there's specific places where it happens, so I think it's something anxiety related.

Basically, my throat will feel as if it has a lump in it, and I'll have this feeling like I can't get enough air.
I've also noticed, when I stand up during these episodes, I feel like I'm going to pass out?

Also, when I look in a mirror I notice I tend to clench my nostril down and breathe out of one side of my mouth... almost like a spasm?

I've had a few times where I've gone into a panic attack because of this...

Does anyone know what I'm going through? Is there anything to fix it?
I'm kind of tired of being so reliant on cough drops, because I hear they can store in your kidneys and it isn't that good for you... (They help get rid of the anxiety, or else it builds) or eating.
I lost a lot of weight last Summer, and I want to keep it off, but whenever I get anxious like this food is one of the only things that kind of calms my anxiety...
I don't want to have to resort to that.
Help would be appreciated.

needtogetwell
03-31-2014, 03:06 AM
Hi, uhm.. I've been suffering with this for the past few months, and it's gotten to the point where I can't really function around people or in public. I've noticed there's specific places where it happens, so I think it's something anxiety related. Basically, my throat will feel as if it has a lump in it, and I'll have this feeling like I can't get enough air. I've also noticed, when I stand up during these episodes, I feel like I'm going to pass out? Also, when I look in a mirror I notice I tend to clench my nostril down and breathe out of one side of my mouth... almost like a spasm? I've had a few times where I've gone into a panic attack because of this... Does anyone know what I'm going through? Is there anything to fix it? I'm kind of tired of being so reliant on cough drops, because I hear they can store in your kidneys and it isn't that good for you... (They help get rid of the anxiety, or else it builds) or eating. I lost a lot of weight last Summer, and I want to keep it off, but whenever I get anxious like this food is one of the only things that kind of calms my anxiety... I don't want to have to resort to that. Help would be appreciated.

Hi Vasquez,

Welcome to the forum.

What you describe sounds much like anxiety. I know there are several people here who have or have had similar symptoms as you.

You may find one of the "sticky" threads called "anxiety symptoms-the list" helpful.

I suggest you read a lot here, you never know when you will find suggestions to help the situation that make sense to you.

Everyone is different in how they manage anxiety symptoms, so keep an open mind.

As for the cough drops, I wouldn't worry about it too much, I doubt you are using enough of them to cause any harm. If they help you find some relief go for it. Also, if you haven't seen your doctor that would be a smart idea, tell him/her what's going on with you, they may have some good suggestions that will help.

Again welcome, we are a good bunch of people here who have varying experiences with anxiety, we are here to help others and eachother.

Ask lots of questions!
Cheers
Pam