PDA

View Full Version : Eye strain or heightened Adrenaline?

Irish Sammie
03-28-2014, 09:40 AM
Hey lovely people.

I'm not sure what to think anymore about what I've been feeling. I posted a while ago about feeling strange visual disturbances (Dry eyes, watery eyes, sensitivity to light, blurry vision sometimes, hard to focus, tired eyes, jerky vision) which i've been feeling for about a month now. It's getting very frustrating when you need to do things day to day. It sometimes makes you feel like it's not you looking out of your eyes as everything sometimes feels a bit "unreal", but those who have experienced it will know what I mean.

I'm just wondering, if what I'm feeling is Eye Strain? I have these symptoms when I don't feel anxiety, is that normal? I spend HOURS infront of a computer day...minimum 12 hours a day. (I'm a designer). I know Eye strain can show the same signs as heightened adrenaline (when someone's feeling anxiety) and I'm not sure which it is anymore?

I was out today in a shopping center, and I started to feel the tell tale signs of an attack coming on, but I made it subside before it kicked in fully. I was so annoyed as the last time I felt that was 4 months ago and I thought things were getting better.

I went to the doctor today and he gave me Inderal, which I've been hearing does a good job to suppress the anxiety.

Any thoughts would be great.

Thank you :)

jessed03
03-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Hey lovely people.

How can you not like her? :)

Like both of you, I've had a pretty big problem with the eye stuff over the years. Especially the blurred vision like Frankie.

It would make sense that you have both a little eyestrain and poor eye health from anxiety.

If your eyes are blurred, or struggling with light, and you stare at a computer screen, they'll get strained a lot quicker than normal eyes will.

You can check how bad they're strained by the amount of discomfort you feel when doing certain eye movements.

Keep your head still, and move your eyes to look at something all the way to the left of you. Then try and look at something on the ceiling, as high as you can comfortably look.

Often you'll feel a pulling sensation if your eyes are strained. It'll be kinda uncomfortable, where the eye muscles are prepared for those types of movements.

If that's the case, there are some really good free exercises you can do on the internet to help with that :)

Irish Sammie
03-28-2014, 12:11 PM
Thank you both!

Frankie: I did actually go to an Optometrist about a week ago, and she told me that my eyes were fine, that I'd have no need for prescribed glasses or contacts. She told me my Retinas were healthy and couldn't see any fault. It's frustrating that it doesn't seem like a physical abnormality as then you can treat it with medication. When it's psychological, it's much harder to diagnose! It it's also eye strain, well then I should treat that individually.

Jessie: I tried your method, and I did notice it was quite uncomfortable. More of a piercing, pressurized feeling?

The thing is, I experience these eye symptoms constantly and most of the time I'm not even feeling anxiety!

Irish Sammie
03-28-2014, 12:46 PM
Thank you Frankie!

So what you're saying, is that even when I'm not feeling anxious, that my body is super sensitive sub-consciously? Would that explain a possible reason for my current eye condition? Though like I had mentioned, it could be eye-strain.

Grrrrr!

:D

jessed03
03-28-2014, 12:55 PM
Frankie's right. With the eye symptoms; It's a nerve problem, more than a mood problem. Although the mood of course affects the nerves. The nerves don't settle as fast as the mood does, whichever can cause a bit of a mess sometimes.

My nerves are pretty raw right now, having a problem with some pain that's got them feeling that way. I was just walking home from the shop, pretty relaxed cos it's Friday... I couldn't see a thing. I struggled to see car number plates a few feet in front of me. Thought I was going blind.

I've had the eye check up, and everything's good. Very weird though :)

A few years ago when my anxiety was a lot more prominent, I'd say my eyes were almost identical to yours.

I did have a little eye strain too. Some things that helped that were Flux software, pinhole glasses, eye exercises, bathing my eyes with cool water twice a day, lots of good quality fats in my diet, eye breaks, and grapeseed extract and vitamin B supps. We can get a little low of the B which can cause eye symptoms.

Oh, and lowering stress of course :)

Irish Sammie
03-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Frankie: Thank you :)

I was wondering about that, what the difference between a panic and an anxiety attack was. A panic attack is out of the blue, and an anxiety attack is one that's happened do to a build up of worry? I definitely had a panic attack then because when I had mine, I was feeling good, in Marks and Spencer's Food hall of all places! :(

I'm also finding myself getting more annoyed and aggrevated over silly things like the weather, people walking too close to me. It's silly I know. I was thinking of seeing a Psychologist, but where do you start? I don't want to waste money on ones that can't help.

Forwells: Can I ask you what you're experiencing? How often? The severity?

Thank you :)

Irish Sammie
03-28-2014, 04:33 PM
I'm sorry frankie..

I'm a Graphic Designer and I'm freelancing at the moment. I live in Dublin (Ireland) and I was just at the GP today. I told him about what had been happening, and he prescribed me Inderal. As meds go, it's pretty cheap I think.

Well, it's my understanding that one of the main successful aspects about finding a good Psychologist, is that you get on with them and feel comfortable talking to them.

Infact, I contacted a clinic the other day, and one of the Psychologists got back to me and talked to me on the phone for about 30 minutes (which I found a bit strange, but appreciated it none the less). After speaking with him, he didn't really sound convinced that CBT would help me, but I got more of a "Sure why don't you come in anyway and we can talk about things" . It didn't really fill me with confidence so I opted not to go to him in the end.

Irish Sammie
03-28-2014, 05:18 PM
Thank you frankie, that's very sweet of you to offer that info.

Today when I felt one coming on, I was able to control it because I knew the tell tale feelings this time around. I just stopped where I was, rested against a banister and stared at something for about 10 minutes, just focusing on my breathing and telling myself it's just in my head. I felt quite proud because I felt like going home, but decided to go into Dunnes Stores as it was quite quiet....walked around a bit, and then headed back to where I needed to go originally. Bought what I needed to buy and went home when I was finished. I'd imagine there's an element of "facing your fears" with this..hmm?

Irish Sammie
03-28-2014, 05:54 PM
Thank you hon. If it happens again, I've to be able to control it more than once for me to really know I have it in control.

My flatmate actually had a spell of panic attacks for about 6 months and she's provided some advice too. She overcame it by just not stressing out so much, not putting so much emphasis on the small things that worried her. She didn't take any meds, no Therapist..nothing! Slightly jealous of her now, heh, but I'm sure I'll get over it at some stage. I'm a natural overthinker which doesn't help things!

I can't imagine how it must have been for you! It's amazing how much we take the internet for granted, isn't it? Back then when you wanted to find something out, you went to the library :P