PDA

View Full Version : Psych

mellymel
03-25-2014, 10:23 AM
I'm a psych major and it doesn't help my anxiety. It contributes to many of my obsessive thoughts, ESPECIALLY the ones I'm struggling with now about my reality and existence. Needless to say I can't wait to be done with this. Good thing is, in the process of 3 plus years of school and being nearly done, I have realized I am not interested in psychology as a career.

anxietycat
03-25-2014, 10:55 AM
Psych bachelors degree here too ...

NixonRulz
03-25-2014, 10:55 AM
I'm a psych major and it doesn't help my anxiety. It contributes to many of my obsessive thoughts, ESPECIALLY the ones I'm struggling with now about my reality and existence. Needless to say I can't wait to be done with this. Good thing is, in the process of 3 plus years of school and being nearly done, I have realized I am not interested in psychology as a career.

.....or as much as you have experienced this and you have a psych degree, who would be better than understanding and helping those who are going through the similar things you have?

You are exactly the type that anxiety sufferers need

Someone who actually understands it

Darkcloud
03-25-2014, 11:11 AM
Psych degree here too lol

Fourteen14
03-25-2014, 11:51 AM
My advise would be to make sure you are relatively stable before you take it up as a career. It is advantageous to have a level of personal empathy for mental health disorders such as anxiety/depression.

But depending which division of psychology/mental health you go down will present you with a variety of triggers. Social/Education/Sport Psych is likely to be the areas containing the least unpleasantness.

Mental health Psych is "trigger day every day" it will most definitely open you up to other peoples issues/phobia/early years abuse/suicide/eating disorders/ physical health problems, and of course the potential for volatile/violent situations working in high intensity therapy, or the corrections/prison sector.

In someways it can keep you level by witnessing so much irrational thought and behaviour.

But absolutely, some days are very tough, upsetting and physically/mentally draining. Hence the need for ensuring your own mental health is well managed.

mellymel
03-25-2014, 11:59 AM
My advise would be to make sure you are relatively stable before you take it up as a career. It is advantageous to have a level of personal empathy for mental health disorders such as anxiety/depression. But depending which division of psychology/mental health you go down will present you with a variety of triggers. Social/Education/Sport Psych is likely to be the areas containing the least unpleasantness. Mental health Psych is "trigger day every day" it will most definitely open you up to other peoples issues/phobia/early years abuse/suicide/eating disorders/ physical health problems, and of course the potential for volatile/violent situations working in high intensity therapy, or the corrections/prison sector. In someways it can keep you level by witnessing so much irrational thought and behaviour. But absolutely, some days are very tough, upsetting and physically/mentally draining. Hence the need for ensuring your own mental health is well managed.

And this is exactly why I know it's NOT for me. When I finish up with this I'll be going for an MBA , with future plans of owing my own salon. That's more up my alley than this psychology business. But I'm glad that I did this because it helped me find out what I really wanna do.

Fourteen14
03-25-2014, 12:11 PM
And this is exactly why I know it's NOT for me. When I finish up with this I'll be going for an MBA , with future plans of owing my own salon. That's more up my alley than this psychology business. But I'm glad that I did this because it helped me find out what I really wanna do.

It's a great degree to have obviously it's heavily math based so it will set you up well in a wide range of employment fields.

It's the second most popular degree at bachelors level in the UK, but less than 10% ever go on to work in any majority related field.

What kind of salon are you wanting to set up?

mellymel
03-25-2014, 12:19 PM
It's a great degree to have obviously it's heavily math based so it will set you up well in a wide range of employment fields. It's the second most popular degree at bachelors level in the UK, but less than 10% ever go on to work in any majority related field. What kind of salon are you wanting to set up?

You are right, it is universal and looks good to employers. And same here, so many people get that degree and never work in the field.

My dream is to own an up scale hair & nail salon. There are none like it in my area, and the salons we do have are bogus. The stylists are uneducated and their work is outdated, the owners have no idea how to run a business, half of them are stoned when trying to do hair. I already have a cosmetology license and have worked in the field for some time. I love doing that type of work and making people feel beautiful :)

Fourteen14
03-25-2014, 12:25 PM
You are right, it is universal and looks good to employers. And same here, so many people get that degree and never work in the field. My dream is to own an up scale hair & nail salon. There are none like it in my area, and the salons we do have are bogus. The stylists are uneducated and their work is outdated, the owners have no idea how to run a business, half of them are stoned when trying to do hair. I already have a cosmetology license and have worked in the field for some time. I love doing that type of work and making people feel beautiful :)

Sounds great!

The skills you learn from your degree will be very valuable in your future venture, marketing and retail display (all behavioural) training staff in customer service (behavioural) Counselling your clients (hair and nail folk have a wealth of counselling experience) .

Wishing you the best of luck! :)

jessed03
03-25-2014, 12:26 PM
I think the nurses on here say the same thing. Knowing more about biology aggravates their hypochondria.

Knowledge is power, and power can corrupt :D

Good luck with finishing.

Fourteen14
03-25-2014, 12:28 PM
I think the nurses on here say the same thing. Knowing more about biology aggravates their hypochondria. Knowledge is power, and power can corrupt :D Good luck with finishing.

Hi Jesse! :D

Long time no speak! :)

jessed03
03-25-2014, 01:14 PM
Hey 14, life treating you well?

Did you hear the news? We're off the hook now, Forwells is confirmed as the master troll ;)

Fourteen14
03-25-2014, 01:20 PM
Hey 14, life treating you well? Did you hear the news? We're off the hook now, Forwells is confirmed as the master troll ;)

Ha ha .... Yes I was telling Frankie earlier, it was like watching a car crash unfold in slow motion!

I'm good thanks :)

Fourteen14
03-25-2014, 01:24 PM
Started a degree in Psychology but deferred . Planning on returning after girls leave home but need to give back to them for now . Would like to specialize in anxiety disorder or maybe child social worker .

Forwells

Go for it! If you can handle the downsides it's a very rewarding career, I work with adults only, "at risk" kids, breaks my heart too much, I would be in pieces everyday, or kicking someone's door down to cut out the long lines of red tape.