PDA

View Full Version : Can watching the News make Anxiety worse?

forgiveandforget1995
03-23-2014, 05:17 PM
I don't like watching the news, it makes me feel anxious when I hear about wars, how the Government sucks, Murders, Rapists, etc. I try to avoid the news, it just makes me feel depressed hearing how about all the sad things that go on. I was just wondering, does anybody here feel like this while watching the News?

MidM3d
03-23-2014, 06:33 PM
To me, news makes my anxiety better. Yes, I am insecure and I deal with anxiety. But if you compare yourself to the people of Syria, Somalia , etc or some other warzone, you will feel very lucky and grateful. That's how I see it at least. I just have anxiety whereas others are living in a warzone, with very little hope and someone they know dies every other day.

772STi
03-23-2014, 08:00 PM
I 100% get anxiety when reading or watching the news especially when there is something going on with a country that can lead to ww3. I start to think about what im gonna have to do to keep my family safe, where are we gonna go if there is an invasion, what direction to go if there is a nuclear bomb dropped within a couple hunded mile radius. I just try to remind myself its highly unlikely something bad will happen here on US soil and if it does basicly everyone in the USA has a gun so they would be fighting like what, 200+ million people :D

BrookeLynnnn
03-23-2014, 08:11 PM
Yeap, I feel the same way!! I love to watch the morning news but can't stand when they bring up or show the bad stuff.. I also don't read much on FB nowadays either because people always share the bad crap to scare people.

forgiveandforget1995
03-23-2014, 08:29 PM
I 100% get anxiety when reading or watching the news especially when there is something going on with a country that can lead to ww3. I start to think about what im gonna have to do to keep my family safe, where are we gonna go if there is an invasion, what direction to go if there is a nuclear bomb dropped within a couple hunded mile radius. I just try to remind myself its highly unlikely something bad will happen here on US soil and if it does basicly everyone in the USA has a gun so they would be fighting like what, 200+ million people :D

Man I'm glad I'm not the only one, I thought I was the only one thinking this at first. That's why I try to avoid the news, it's difficult though because my mum always has it on

forgiveandforget1995
03-23-2014, 08:33 PM
Yeap, I feel the same way!! I love to watch the morning news but can't stand when they bring up or show the bad stuff.. I also don't read much on FB nowadays either because people always share the bad crap to scare people.

With the news as well, I just get really sad when I hear horrible things about someone getting murdered, Raped, I know it's happening everyday but I just like to try and switch myself off because I don't want to hear it because when I hear it I just feel bad for people, Maybe I'm just being silly??

Yeah I don't go on my Facebook very much, I have a habit of deactivating and reactivating my account, I don't do nothing on there, I don't get to do much exciting things because of my anxiety, and to be fair there are a lot of people on Facebook that post the same crap about getting drunk etc. Yeah Morning news isn't too bad because there's less negative things they talk about in the morning :)

amers85
03-23-2014, 08:56 PM
I won't watch any news. I know my triggers, and this is one of them lol. If it's something serious, I'm obviously going to be told about it from a family member or friends.

needtogetwell
03-24-2014, 03:06 AM
I gave up cable TV and all news programming 5 years ago. I really started to recover well at that point.

I was a CNN junkie and would watch that for hours on end, replaying all the negative events of the days over and over. Talk about self sabotage !

Financial difficulties forced me to give up cable / satellite TV and I have never felt better. I may be oblivious to word events, but my health and sanity are so worth it.

Thank god for Netflix! Now I can watch what I want without any stress.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Fen667
03-24-2014, 04:01 AM
The news actually helps me in a similar way to what MidM3d said above.
I love knowing what's going on, and learning what's happening in the world, although it can make me angry sometimes! I don't watch news bulletins as such but i use the net and newspapers at my own leisure. I'm an avid sports fan so i tend to get a lot from the media for this. Although the Welsh Rugby team have made me rather annoyed of late :)
Sometimes it good not to know what's going on in the world though and I totally understand why people choose not to watch, listen or read.

jessed03
03-24-2014, 07:17 PM
I mostly just read sports pages.

Kyle Morgan, where's your Facebook I wanna add you again?

MidM3d
03-24-2014, 10:32 PM
If you have anxiety, tell yourself this: The government and the news channels always exaggerates the power of their enemies and they make it seem they will attack the West (assuming you're from the West). Last year, North Korea was supposed to trigger WW3. Didn't happen. Iran was supposed to nuke the USA and Israel a few years ago...didn't happen... I'm not picking any sides, I hate politics as a whole, but I have learned that watching the news creates fear for nothing and most of the time, our "enemies" end up not attacking us...

forgiveandforget1995
03-25-2014, 04:53 PM
You blocked me though. I'll add you back but I rarely go on it these days, I've always had a habit of deactivating and reactivating my account.

forgiveandforget1995
03-25-2014, 04:54 PM
I mostly just read sports pages.

Kyle Morgan, where's your Facebook I wanna add you again?

You blocked me though. I'll add you back but I rarely go on it these days, I've always had a habit of deactivating and reactivating my account.

forgiveandforget1995
03-25-2014, 04:56 PM
The news actually helps me in a similar way to what MidM3d said above.
I love knowing what's going on, and learning what's happening in the world, although it can make me angry sometimes! I don't watch news bulletins as such but i use the net and newspapers at my own leisure. I'm an avid sports fan so i tend to get a lot from the media for this. Although the Welsh Rugby team have made me rather annoyed of late :)
Sometimes it good not to know what's going on in the world though and I totally understand why people choose not to watch, listen or read.

Nice to see another Welshman/woman :)