PDA

View Full Version : Not okay right now...

pluperfecthell
03-21-2014, 02:45 PM
My mom just gave me the bad news that my uncle's dog died. I don't know why she thought it would be a good idea to tell me that over the phone while I'm home alone, knowing that animals are very near and dear to my heart and that I JUST got over my fear of being home alone (I was scared that I was going to start having panic attacks again if I spent so much time alone). I'm crying about it because that was a family dog and we've had her since I was like 8.

Part of me wants to panic though. She wasn't that old, my dog is 11, older than she was by a few years, and she's still alive. My brain keeps telling me that it's rabies. I can't go through that again. (I went through like a 3 month mental breakdown that was triggered by my dog biting me, me being convinced that I had rabies, and then my hypochondria consumed me after that. I'm okayish now, I don't really get panic attacks anymore and I don't think about illness as much.) Every time I even think about rabies, I feel the worst chill run down my spine and it almost sends me into a blind panic. I'm controlling it though, I'm not letting it scare me as much as it did before and I'm not letting it make me hyperventilate.

But then I can't help but wonder if I'm right? What if now my uncle and my grandma have gotten it? What if I've gotten it? The last time I saw her was Sunday, like 5 days ago. And then I shut it down with how she doesn't go outside unsupervised, nor at night. I don't think there's any way she could've been bitten by anything, and she was the sweetest dog ever, wouldn't hurt a fly.

I keep crying and I don't know if it's because I'm sad because I love animals so much and I've never lost one that was close to me or if it's because I'm scared of losing it again over this stupid rabies fear.