PDA

View Full Version : Recommend this book to everyone

crmac50
03-18-2014, 01:37 PM
I didn't see a thread about it, so I thought I'd make one. I've been reading a book by Dr. Claire Weekes called Hope and Help for Your Nerves. It costs about 5 bucks on Amazon. It's an older book (it was first published in 1969), but after reading only the first few chapters, I have to say, it's been very helpful in helping me think about my anxiety symptoms, how to react to them, and how to orient myself towards recovery. Her approach to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy seems to make a lot of sense.

One of the things Dr. Weekes stresses is how much time many anxiety sufferers spend fighting their symptoms. They are on a constant war footing. Every day, they brace for impact. They fight tooth and nail not to be overcome. They worry that if they don't struggle against the symptoms, they might "lose it," or the symptoms will get worse. At the same time, anxiety sufferers retreat from situations they feel may cause or aggravate their symptoms. This constant back and forth—a daily dance between literal "fight" and "flight"—elevates nervous tension. This persistent tension feeds the cycle of nervous energy and oversensitizes our nervous system. The "fear-adrenalin-fear" cycle, as she calls it, is constantly being re-spun by our attempts to fight off the symptoms, or run from things that we think may cause them. Over time, even mundane, ordinary stimuli can set off our symptoms: a sudden breeze, a slammed door, an unexpected e-mail. People in this situation have experienced a full nervous breakdown, and need to find a way to break the nervous cycle they are trapped in.

Dr. Weekes tells us that the cycle can be broken if the anxiety sufferer stops trying to fight the symptoms. Instead, you should "accept" them and "float" through them. Acceptance of your symptoms means no longer being afraid of them, knowing that they can't hurt you. "Floating" means letting time pass, knowing that your symptoms are temporary, and will pass into the background with enough time. It means no longer being afraid of the surges of fear that accompany your anxiety, including the ones that seem to come with no apparent cause. This breaks the cycle of tension, and allows the anxiety sufferer the chance to finally begin recovering from nervous illness.

Dr. Weekes carefully notes that her approach is only the beginning of recovery. You will not be cured in a manner of days. You will have difficult days where it seems like you are "floating" for a long time. It may take weeks or months before significant improvement and/or full recovery is made. Setbacks may also occur. Others will be dismayed, thinking they've finally found the cure to their illness, only to discover they are still suffering after a few weeks of "accepting" and "floating." Dr. Weekes notes that this is why it is important to let time pass. Recovery can not take place without this essential component. Your time must be free of nervous tension. And "counting days on the calendar," as she puts it, fuels the cycle of nervous tension the same way that constantly fighting your symptoms does.

Anywho, I would definitely recommend picking up this book. I feel like I've been drowning with this illness for almost a year now, and this is the first breath of fresh air I've had in a long time. I don't know if her approach will actually work for me, but it makes a lot of sense to me. Her writing is very accessible. She writes in a kind, soothing, thoughtful voice, with an insight that could only come from someone who has either suffered from this illness herself, or has spent a lifetime working with patients who have suffered from it. I definitely recommend it.

Darkcloud
03-18-2014, 01:43 PM
Reading it now. Pretty good so far.

rhar
03-18-2014, 01:48 PM
I LOVE this book! Has helped me immensely

vonnhelsing
03-18-2014, 02:02 PM
Been hearing so many good things about this book. Will def be purchasing it soon.

NixonRulz
03-18-2014, 02:16 PM
Been hearing so many good things about this book. Will def be purchasing it soon.

She was so before her time

She had this figured out

Now you see so many people selling her work in different words for a hefty price

Go to the source. She is awesome.

jessed03
03-18-2014, 04:19 PM
Great book, and great write up :)

GeneAllen
03-18-2014, 07:13 PM
Just for everyone's info there are a lot of free pdf downloads for this book. Be sure the resource is reliable though.

Peace

anxietysucksbutt
03-19-2014, 10:53 AM
Great book. I've noticed so far in my journey that there are a few phases to getting better. The first and biggest is realizing it's all anxiety. Coming to this forum has helped me realize that even the oddest sensations I've had are just anxiety. Time has also helped' since anything that was seriously wrong would have showed up by now. The second step has been to not fight my anxiety. This is still hard, but over time, I've been slowing getting better. I've also finally accepted that I'm not going to get better in a day. The last step is probably the scariest for me,, but it comes down to actually facing and fighting your fear. There are several ways to do this, and it all comes down to thinking about what scares you in a different matter. Sometimes talking exercises can help' and sometimes exposure therapy is the answer (when you realize a situation isn't so bad, you stop fearing it because you think about it differently).