PDA

View Full Version : coping with anxiety without medication

jinul1m64
04-16-2008, 09:33 PM
I've been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks for about a good year now. However, lately I feel as if the attacks are getting worse. I hate the fact that I constantly feel as if I'm going crazy and that I'm dying or there is something really wrong with me. My doctor prescribed me paxil which I take daily and atavin for when my panic attacks get severe. I feel as if the paxil does not work and I tried taking atavin once but felt as if it intensified the fear that comes with panic attacks. I don't want to rely on medication and am afraid to become dependent/addicted to the pills. What are some ways besides exercising and following a certain diet that I can use to cope with anxiety and panic disorders.

Robbed
04-17-2008, 06:40 AM
I am a FIRM believer that ACCEPTANCE is perhaps the MOST important thing you can practice in order to overcome anxiety. You mention having all sorts of scary symptoms and sensations, such as fears of going crazy, fears that you will die, and fears that something is REALLY wrong with you. The FIRST thing you need to do (if you have not already done so) is go over the symptoms list in this forum. Although you will NEVER hear a therapist tell you to learn about symptoms, I believe this is REALLY important. There, you will probably find most, if not ALL of your symptoms. And this should let you know that there is nothing inherently harmful about them. With this in mind, try to react less with fear to your symptoms AND try to accept them instead. By doing this, you should find that you feel somewhat more relaxed, even if only a little bit more relaxed. BUT, as you practice acceptance over the long haul, you will gradually lower your anxiety.

Besides acceptance, there are other things you can do. One is to find something engaging to do. This is quite important as well, as this draws your attention away from anxiety and its symptoms. And by taking your focus from anxiety, you allow your mind to heal. You also deal with the habitual nature of anxiety: anxiety causes MUCH of its suffering by causing you to habitually moniter symptoms and worry about them. And breaking this habit will do MUCH to make you better.

Many people (myself included) find natural settings to be VERY helpful in reducing anxiety. Perhaps this is due mainly to the fact that such places are simultaneously relaxing and engaging, while incorporating exercise. It is also believed that the exposure you get to sunlight while outdoors can be helpful. If you already know that you enjoy this sort of thing (or at least enjoyed it before you became anxious), take it upon yourself to make the effort to get outdoors. Otherwise, give it a try. It won't hurt to do so. And you just might find that this turns into something you like to do even after anxiety is no longer a problem. If it is not your thing, then all is certainly not lost.

Of corse, dealing with the root cause of your anxiety is also most helpful. In fact, it is probably essential that you do so in order to prevent relapses. Although you are probably not constantly thinking about and worryin about the initial cause(s) of your stress (worries about symptoms tends to take over once anxiety disorder becomes established), you probably know what stressed you enough to develop anxiety disorder. Of course, with anxiety disorder raging, you might not be able to tackle these problems head-on. If this is the case, itis probably best to deal with things a little at a time, or wait until anxiety is lowered to a point where you CAN start to deal with matters.

You might also try a couple of dietary supplements which numerous anxiety sufferers have found helpful: magnesium and omega 3. Both of these supplements are common, safe, and inexpensive.

Anyway, hopefully this helps.

scared748
04-17-2008, 06:59 AM
i agree with robbed on the acceptance of your anxiety...i am working on that now and it really seems to be helping me...i struggle with anxiety and constant worrying but im slowly realizing that its just the anxiety and accepting it makes you feel alot better...i also like the quote "“Worry is like a rocking chair--it gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere.” this helps me too because when you think about it its very true it really doesnt get you anywhere it just prevents you from living life to the fullest...things are going to happen whether we worry or not and its sad for people like us because we worry even when there seems to be nothing to worry about...and i think the outdoors thing is a good idea...its starting to get nice where i live finally and i have to say i do feel a bit better...hope this help you and Robbed i just want to tell you again how great and thorough your advice is...its helped me alot even from advice to others i just happened to read :)

bio
04-18-2008, 10:32 AM
Accept my anxiety may be possible and yes, I have tried this, it work. However, I can't accept it when stress and depression set in at the same time. Say for example, worry about my autistic son's future. Man! I can't see the end of the tunnel. When shall it end? Almost inconsolable, right? Anyway, life must go on.

Oh yeah, this is how I use to console myself.
God didn't ask my consent if I choose to be conceived and born nine months later. If it is his will that I was born then he must help me before I leave this world like my fore parents.

busybuddy09
04-18-2008, 03:28 PM
I fiind that a head-out hot shower can have a strong tranquilizing effect. You can find more info in the citation that I posted in a separate topic.

jinul1m64
04-19-2008, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I'm currently reading Claire Weekes CBT novel. I hope this helps.

RED121572
04-19-2008, 09:55 AM
Ive taken paxil and it didnt help me either. Im currently on xanax, which the doctors dont want me on, but its the best med Ive taken so far. (and Ive been on ALOT of different ones)

busybuddy09
05-16-2008, 02:54 AM
Rymaszewska J, Ramsey D, Chladzinska-Kiejna S. Whole-body cryotherapy as adjunct treatment of depressive and anxiety disorders. Archivum Immunologiae et Therapiae Experimentalis. (Warsaw). 2008 Jan-Feb;56(1):63-68.

trackstar
06-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Consider joining a cbt group. I just finished one and it will teach you skills to help you manage your anxiety and it only takes 16-weeks.