PDA

View Full Version : Please read before firing shots

Blessed
03-16-2014, 06:45 PM
K first off I've had a heck of a weekend, stomach virus Landed me in the ER then I was admitted to hospital. I had 4 bags Iv due to being so dehydrated. I was released yesterday afternoon then only to be admitted to ER again today. Had pain redness, tenderness at Iv sight on my hand and moved up my arm . The doc thinks they didn't dilute the phenergen good enough before putting thru Iv possibly causing Iv to burn/ blow, it feels like there's a rubber band around my wrist and all my fingers are tingling. Now they have put me on 10 days antiobiotics. Has this ever happened to any of you? Is there any signs I should look for? And please don't remind me how I'm a whiner and your friggin tired of hearing me complain, please I just have a simple question. Don't respond if you're going to put me down, don't think I can handle any more issues right now. Thank you in advance

mykids12
03-16-2014, 06:50 PM
I don't have experience with that but my son had something similar when in the hospital when his appendix ruptured. I know that his hand was swollen and red and burned I think he said. This was 2 years ago so I can't quite remember lol. Anyway I'm not sure if it was due to the placement of the IV or some med they gave him.

ashy
03-16-2014, 06:52 PM
Hi! Personally I haven't gone through that, but it sounds like you had an awful weekend :(. And you don't have to worry about people thinking that you are whining and complaining, usually that kind of worry comes from the anxiety. We're here to help!

Dahila
03-16-2014, 06:54 PM
Oh I am sorry to hear about it Blessed, no you are not whining now:) . What was that virus? The antibiotics will help with the hand, and you know our hospitals are short of stuff and they do stupid things. It happens. I hope you feel better already. Keep us posted Blessed....What antibiotic they put you on?
The tingling in fingers must be from a bit obscured circulation, it is probably swelled, inside your arm. It will pass. You probably could put a cold compress on it...:( I hate hospitals

Blessed
03-16-2014, 06:58 PM
It was a stomach flu . Severe vomiting diarrhea and fever. I'm on keflex 500 mg 3 times a day for ten days.

Dahila
03-16-2014, 07:05 PM
oH hopefully you get better, the most important they put the liquids into your body. Can you eat? Maybe you are on clear liquid diet?

trinidiva
03-16-2014, 07:21 PM
So sorry about the stomach flu. My daughter is just getting over it too. It has been horrible all week. Im not sure about the IV but I know I had alot of tenderness at the entry point of mine when I had a c section. It took a while to start to feel normal in that area again.

Take it easy!!!!

Blessed
03-16-2014, 07:25 PM
I just fear if it's a blood clot, our hospital here doesn't have such a great track record so of course I'm on edge about that.
This is really taking a tole on my anxiety all I can do is sit and cry. I'm so terrified and don't know what to do to fix this feeling.

Blessed
03-16-2014, 07:42 PM
I don't know really just feel so hopeless and that lovely fear of dying again. Anything that happens to me I automatically assume it is deadly and I will not make if to the hospital in time. I'm so grateful to wake up each morning yet so afraid I won't make it through the day. Then I spend all day consumed in worry and irrational thoughts only to start the process allover again. I'm Just praying and begging for some mental relief here. I am emotionally exhausted . I guess you can call it whining , I'm too tired to argue

Blessed
03-16-2014, 07:58 PM
Thank you so much ! It has got to get better

mom23
03-16-2014, 08:09 PM
Hope you feel better soon.

Blessed
03-16-2014, 08:28 PM
so blessed whats up with you meds these days I'm on my first week of increasing Prozac from 10 to 20 mg. still on Ativan as needed

Dahila
03-16-2014, 08:52 PM
I just fear if it's a blood clot, our hospital here doesn't have such a great track record so of course I'm on edge about that.
This is really taking a tole on my anxiety all I can do is sit and cry. I'm so terrified and don't know what to do to fix this feeling.
Blessed it is not blood clot, blood clot the one which cause the lung embolism does not look like that. My husband had a wide spreaded DVT after surgery on his legs, It looks different. The pain would made you scream. A lot of people get the clots that are never doing anything to the body it just sticks to vein and dissolves in time. You do not get blood clots from IV:))) You are going to be ok~~~

Blessed
03-21-2014, 04:56 PM
So I only got to take a day and half worth of antibiotics due to developing thrush , my arm isn't red but very sore and tender. I'm terrified there is underlying infection that I cannot see. What can I do? Has anyone experienced a blown or burned vein due to Iv?

Blessed
03-21-2014, 06:46 PM
I know it's a Friday night but is anybody out there in anxiousville???

Blessed
03-21-2014, 07:01 PM
Yes I have myself convinced something evil is bruing in my arm and will set up some type of infection. I got so worked up I left a text for my doctor to call me tonight. This is nuts!!! I need my thoughts to be more rational

Blessed
03-21-2014, 07:29 PM
I feel like if I don't concentrate and worry on the pain I'm feeling or the sensation I'm having then it will sneak up on me and turn out to be serious. It's been a week would an infection usually surface by then ? Then I worry if the pill I took to stop the thrush from antibiotics wasn't strong enough and I still have yeast taking over inside my body. So I'm far from rational right now. I'm sorry I know you have better issues to deal with.

Blessed
03-21-2014, 07:47 PM
Thank you for listening :) means alot

Dahila
03-21-2014, 07:58 PM
Blessed I wrote about trush already, I wrote about cleaning your tongue with plain yogurt if you do not have anything else. Trush is caused by bacteria Candida which lives in our body. Everyone gets trush when on huge dose of antibiotics, and it is curable, it is not pleasant but it is nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stop doing this. you must to go to doc and go on meds, otherwise you are going to ruin your marrage, your family may not be soo supportive if you do nothing. Fuck the fear against the meds. You think I am not scared of meds?
I am not scared of side effects? I am big time, but my family and I do not deserve the pain and havoc of my anxiety....I am on meds and functioning perfectly. Still must work on my temperament but.....:)))))))))))

Blessed
03-21-2014, 08:12 PM
Blessed I wrote about trush already, I wrote about cleaning your tongue with plain yogurt if you do not have anything else. Trush is caused by bacteria Candida which lives in our body. Everyone gets trush when on huge dose of antibiotics, and it is curable, it is not pleasant but it is nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stop doing this. you must to go to doc and go on meds, otherwise you are going to ruin your marrage, your family may not be soo supportive if you do nothing. Fuck the fear against the meds. You think I am not scared of meds? I am not scared of side effects? I am big time, but my family and I do not deserve the pain and havoc of my anxiety....I am on meds and functioning perfectly. Still must work on my temperament but.....:))))))))))) I just increased my Prozac to 20 mg is this the kind of meds you mean?

Blessed
03-22-2014, 07:18 PM
All these are what if thoughts blessed . These are the most common thought with anxiety . My understanding is they are your brains way of looking why it feels so bad . Your brain sees in black and white and does not understand that the cause is from within . To answer your question . A infection is nothing to worry about and your body will just fight it. A week means its doing its job . The thrush is normal and always in your body . It live in you and does no harm . It gets out of control when the balance between the good and bad get out of whack . I would go and get a pro biotic and take it for a while . really trying to distract myself tonight but My arm really is hurting . It's hard to stop thinking but I'm really trying . Just worried it's something major and I should be tending to it. It's been a week so u would think it would show up by now? But why is it still painful? I'm sorry just very anxious and uncomfortable tonight .

Dahila
03-22-2014, 09:08 PM
well if it was bruised it takes even up to two weeks to heal. I am glad you decide to go on meds, in not time you are going to feel better and have a different perspective on it:))

gemma1788
03-23-2014, 08:11 AM
Hi blessed, I'm a registered nurse and I am very familiar with IVs and all things that go in them. I put ten in a day at least. If you need to talk you can email me. Firstly, did the medications that they put in hurt? Or did the pain start on removal?
Don't worry about a blood clot, it's physically impossible. And if it were a systemic infection you would be well aware of it by now. My guess is that it is infiltration at the site, and it can hurt for a while, but it is totally harmless x

Blessed
03-23-2014, 11:39 AM
Hi blessed, I'm a registered nurse and I am very familiar with IVs and all things that go in them. I put ten in a day at least. If you need to talk you can email me. Firstly, did the medications that they put in hurt? Or did the pain start on removal? Don't worry about a blood clot, it's physically impossible. And if it were a systemic infection you would be well aware of it by now. My guess is that it is infiltration at the site, and it can hurt for a while, but it is totally harmless x thank you!! Not sure of your email address... But basically I was given 4 bags Iv due to being severely dehydrated . I was throwing up so much they gave me zophram which did not help. That evening they gave me phenergen but had its own bag to dilute it. During my stay I think they gave me phenergen two more times but I don't think they diluted it the same way. The next morning upon waking I was having bad pain at injection site where Iv was. I only had half my forth bag left so she cut it off and in hooked it. The next day I was having tingling pain redness and warmth on arm and hand. I Went back to ER they put me on antibiotics which caused thrush after second day.... Wow! So I stopped antibiotics per primary doc but I'm still having pain in arm , no redness just tenderness. Sorry to ramble but it's been a week so it just concerns me. Thanks for your time!

Blessed
03-23-2014, 11:41 AM
well if it was bruised it takes even up to two weeks to heal. I am glad you decide to go on meds, in not time you are going to feel better and have a different perspective on it:)) are you referring to Prozac, yes it is starting to help!

Blessed
03-23-2014, 02:15 PM
Thank you :)