PDA

View Full Version : being supportive with anxiety

brittany32888
03-15-2014, 07:35 PM
It sucks when things you want to/ should be happy about, just overwhelm you. I think I put too much pressure on myself. My Husband's job requires us to travel sometimes and be around large groups of people. People that have expectations of him, and since I'm apart of that package, I feel I too am being graded. I just want to be that "perfect" supportive little wife that seems pleasant. Yet on the inside I'm really a neurotic, borderline bi polar train wreck that is cautiously watching for the uni bomber.
So we have a weekend long convention coming up in a few weeks, and I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for what's to come. I would really love to be able to relax. I can never seem to enjoy these things, because I'm constantly anticipating the worst. I'm sure I come across as frigid... but what can I do?
I have on the other hand tried these holistic chews for anxiety and stress, and they seem to help. So that may mean I'll be one step closer to behaving like a balanced human being. We'll see.. any tips on handling these situations?

ashy
03-15-2014, 08:14 PM
Hi!
That's a lot of pressure that you have, especially with what you are dealing with. One thing that has helped me is instead of trying to make myself appear like everything is fine and always trying to make myself calm down, is to accept that I have anxiety and that it makes me feel and think and react the ways that I do. Instead of freaking out every time I feel anxiety coming on, I tell myself, ok, I feel anxious/nervous/scared/etc right now an that's ok. Just acknowledge it but realize that you can worry about it and make it worse, or you can be patient and understanding with yourself and know that it will pass :) hope that helps!

brittany32888
03-21-2014, 03:05 PM
Hi! That's a lot of pressure that you have, especially with what you are dealing with. One thing that has helped me is instead of trying to make myself appear like everything is fine and always trying to make myself calm down, is to accept that I have anxiety and that it makes me feel and think and react the ways that I do. Instead of freaking out every time I feel anxiety coming on, I tell myself, ok, I feel anxious/nervous/scared/etc right now an that's ok. Just acknowledge it but realize that you can worry about it and make it worse, or you can be patient and understanding with yourself and know that it will pass :) hope that helps!

I guess I find myself caring too much what people think of me. When you constantly feel like you are falling apart on the inside, you assume everyone can see right through it. I just don't like the fact that my actions now affect someone else. Being a business owner in a small town, everyone knows him. And when we go out of town and are around large groups of new people, it's like I only have one shot to make a good impression. I don't want people leaving thinking/saying well I really like him but his fiancé is pretty wacky. I guess paranoia comes with the territory. Always afraid that no matter how hard I try to absorb these irrational emotions while in public, that people really know how psychotic i am and are avoiding me because of it.
The instant I feel comfortable enough around someone to have a personal conversation with them, I causally try to tell them I have anxiety. I guess just to get it over with, maybe get a reaction? See if they hang around long afterward. Which people usually don't. I have lived in this town for... Almost 4 years now and can simply say I have no close friends. A handful of women that I was willing to let my guard down for, but none that have stuck... But that's a discussion of a different topic.
Oh well...