PDA

View Full Version : Exercise/Fitness

scatmantom
11-18-2005, 12:26 PM
How many anxiety sufferers here get regular exercise?
Ive hardly lifted a finger for a few years in terms of exercise...until today that is...At work we have started playin indoor soccer after work on a friday..i was so nervous b4 hand, all the regular thoughts (what if im rubbish, what if I pass out, what if what if what if)....but i stuck at it...nearly killed me physically....but glad i did it.

Ive been advised that regular exercise will help my general fitness and also...MY ANXIETY? is there are truth in that advice?

shoe
11-18-2005, 02:19 PM
I've been keeping up a fitness routine for a few months now, mainly cardio stuff but a little light weight training mixed in. It is true what they say, exercise helps both mood and anxiety, from my own personal experience anyway =)

There are plenty of articles that say exercise is a stress-reliever, as well as a mood-lifter, but I'm not recalling the specifics of how it affects different parts of your body and brain that produce those results. Obviously an improvement in your cardiovascular system will help you have more energy and overall endurance, and increase bloodflow and make your skin look healthier among other benefits.... but it would be an interesting research project to figure out just how specifically anxiety and mood are affected.

Hmm. I read about 'endorphins' being released by strenuous exercise that help your mood and are known to ease pain, but I don't recall anything about anxiety.. other than exercise being a 'stress reliever'. Okay, I'll put this research on my to-do list. hehe

dan

babycristy
11-18-2005, 06:49 PM
Shoe said: Hmm. I read about 'endorphins' being released by strenuous exercise that help your mood and are known to ease pain, but I don't recall anything about anxiety

That is true. endorphins are you natural happy chemicals that your body produces. (The natural form of morphine). They are released by your brain when you cry, when you expercise and when you have sex. How it relieves anxiety, I don't know. But I personally think that anxiety is brought about my stress, which is relieved by excercise.

scatmantom
11-20-2005, 03:35 AM
cool...well im gonna keep up the football once a week, the fact i was so tired aftrewards was an idication that it needs to be done! :P

babycristy
11-20-2005, 06:30 AM
When it comes to excercising I think about it and skriek..BUT...when I finally get to it, it feels great. Afterwards I feel tired but if I just lay around doing nothing, I feel tired anyways. So its better to feel tired for a good cause!

Speaking of excercise, I must get myself up and do it. My problem is that I don't trust my neighborhood. I don't exactly live in a ghetto or anything but Im a 19 yr old female, and men can be nasty when you walk around by yourself...And as for enrolling in the gym, im a student, im broke :roll: Oh well, I have to find a way to excercize I know. Maybe Ill go right now to the golf course by home........................................... :roll:

shoe
11-21-2005, 07:36 AM
That is true. endorphins are you natural happy chemicals that your body produces. (The natural form of morphine). They are released by your brain when you cry, when you expercise and when you have sex. How it relieves anxiety, I don't know. But I personally think that anxiety is brought about my stress, which is relieved by excercise.

thx babycristy =) Unfortunately this past week I've been feeling sick so I only got to exercising once, and I hate getting out of the habit but I'm still sick and dont' feel up to it. I know I have a good excuse, and its generally not a good idea to strain yourself during illness, but a little light cardio is okay here and there.. I think I'll have to commit myself to some this week!

anangel4me
11-23-2005, 06:59 PM
gosh after a long day at work who wants to exercise? lol....honestly though i have been doing some ab crunches and i do walk on my breaks and lunch. it sure feels good. i just have to push myself everyday.

spicegirl479
03-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Exercise is good for you i am a athlete by career and when i have chest pains i tell myself that i have a fit body and heart but i wouldnt say it helps you in all aspects of anxiety but if you know in yourself that you are physically fit it does give you that reasurrance.

spicegirl479
03-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Exercise is good for you i am a athlete by career and when i have chest pains i tell myself that i have a fit body and heart but i wouldnt say it helps you in all aspects of anxiety but if you know in yourself that you are physically fit it does give you that reasurrance.

scatmantom
03-27-2006, 03:01 PM
this is something that Im still not tryin at hard enough. I dont get nearly enough exercise, i drive EVERYWHERE, even to my friends house 10 mins walk away. I should only use my car for long journeys or doing the weekly shop.