PDA

View Full Version : What triggers your anxiety?

DimpledDevil
03-15-2014, 10:57 AM
Just curious to hear what triggers your anxiety? It's really stupid but I get really bad anxiety attacks when it comes to finacial things. I also get really worked up about doing personal errands so I just avoid doing them which in turn causes bigger problems. Am I just stupid and irresponsible? Or do other people do this as well?

Applecherry
03-15-2014, 04:08 PM
Confusion, pretty big one, when I was in an unstable relationship, it was nothing BUT confusion for the most part, so I was really unstable at that time.

Indecision (kind of related to confusion).

Errands, other little life stressors can get blown out of proportion when you're depressed or anxious, just goes with the territory.. "little things become big things".

AliasEQ
03-15-2014, 04:49 PM
Hm. I'm generally anxious because I'm stressed and have lots of things to do. BUT, the thing that brought up my anxiety was weed, cannabis, Mary Jane. So, my anxiety gets severe whenever I see, smell or smoke weed. Even if I see high people. Funny lol.

It's kinda good tho. I can't touch alcohol, drugs or anything that affects me in a bad way. See, that's another beneficial thing from my anxiety! :)

Perses
03-15-2014, 06:13 PM
I can't point to a specific trigger. I don't have a specific phobia. But, well, I seem to be a all or nothing person. I'm a perfectionist. If I make a mistake, then I feel much more embarrassment or shame than I ought to. Although I can rationalize the mistake in any number of ways, my emotional me just wants to give up and quit. That's what I mean by all or nothing. Second, I don't like feeling vulnerable, nor asking for help. If I can't do it myself, then I'm a failure. This is a totally counterproductive mindset, and my rational mind knows this. This is especially ridiculous since I love helping others. Helping others builds one's self-confidence, but I can't seem to be willing to ask for help. It's as Apple says, little things become big things. And I'm not sure how that happens. It was clear to me that I was a highly sensitive kid at times, and would feel trapped if pushed to do something. After graduating from college, I got a job as a paralegal at a law firm. It was, objectively, a great first job because I had my own office, interesting things to work on, and the pay was great. I wanted to go on to law school. However, I was so stressed, so convinced that I was going to lose a document, be unable to write, screw up talking to a client, etc etc. that I couldn't sleep. I was petrified. So, I quit after a week. I self-sabotaged because I was convinced I was going to fail.

needtogetwell
03-15-2014, 06:26 PM
I can't point to a specific trigger. I don't have a specific phobia. But, well, I seem to be a all or nothing person. I'm a perfectionist. If I make a mistake, then I feel much more embarrassment or shame than I ought to. Although I can rationalize the mistake in any number of ways, my emotional me just wants to give up and quit. That's what I mean by all or nothing. Second, I don't like feeling vulnerable, nor asking for help. If I can't do it myself, then I'm a failure. This is a totally counterproductive mindset, and my rational mind knows this. This is especially ridiculous since I love helping others. Helping others builds one's self-confidence, but I can't seem to be willing to ask for help. It's as Apple says, little things become big things. And I'm not sure how that happens. It was clear to me that I was a highly sensitive kid at times, and would feel trapped if pushed to do something. After graduating from college, I got a job as a paralegal at a law firm. It was, objectively, a great first job because I had my own office, interesting things to work on, and the pay was great. I wanted to go on to law school. However, I was so stressed, so convinced that I was going to lose a document, be unable to write, screw up talking to a client, etc etc. that I couldn't sleep. I was petrified. So, I quit after a week. I self-sabotaged because I was convinced I was going to fail.

Hi Perses,

After reading this post I think CBT would be really helpful for you. Have you ever tried it?

It focuses on thought patterns and processes.

You might find it helpful.

Hope all is well.
Cheers!
Pam

butterfly82
03-15-2014, 06:40 PM
I have no idea what triggers mine sometimes. But when I have a panic attack Ina public place, I tend to avoid that place for a very long time.

But my panic attacks flare up in clusters when I'm overly stressed. So I guess stress, and places like malls where there aren't easy exits

needtogetwell
03-15-2014, 06:47 PM
I have no idea what triggers mine sometimes. But when I have a panic attack Ina public place, I tend to avoid that place for a very long time. But my panic attacks flare up in clusters when I'm overly stressed. So I guess stress, and places like malls where there aren't easy exits

Stress is a huge trigger for me! As is extended periods of pain in my back (back injury). Of course chronic pain is a stressor on both the mind and body,

I get relief from anxiety by going back to the basics for pain management, physio therapy, massage therapy and accupuncture.

butterfly82
03-15-2014, 06:51 PM
Stress is a huge trigger for me! As is extended periods of pain in my back (back injury). Of course chronic pain is a stressor on both the mind and body, I get relief from anxiety by going back to the basics for pain management, physio therapy, massage therapy and accupuncture.

I'm sorry you have chronic back pain :( my husband does as well, going on 4 years and I can tell it's starting to take its toll on him, he seems depressed at times.

Perses
03-15-2014, 07:06 PM
Dear Need,

No, not specifically. I have been and am right now in therapy, and the self-assessment I presented below arose out of discussions with my therapist. That law firm incident happened some 23 years ago. I've gone on to do other things, namely, to get my PhD and live abroad. But, my anxiety trigger remains fear of failure. Blah! It's self-made anxiety, a toxic brew.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had always assumed that cbt was for persons with specific phobias? I'll have to look into it. Do you have any books you'd recommend?
P

tezbag
03-15-2014, 08:35 PM
My triggers are anytime I feel a body sensation or pain of any form.... Yup panic. I feel unsteady (which is normal for heavier chested women) Panic attack. Yea great day in the life of hypochondria.