PDA

View Full Version : I cant concentrate..

ashy
03-14-2014, 04:22 PM
School used to be so easy.. Until this semester. I can't do it anymore. I can't concentrate or even get myself to do simple homework assignments. I get too stressed and distracted. I feel like I'm just failing. I have a major mid-term project that's due Tuesday and I'm having a hard time starting it. Does anyone have any advice on how to get motivated and concentrate? I feel like the anxiety has taken out most of my motivation to do anything for school and I feel that I'm messing up everything I've worked so hard for :(

jessed03
03-14-2014, 05:42 PM
You can kill two birds with one stone here.

To get rid of anxiety and it's symptoms, you must communicate to your body that you don't want or need it.

To do that, quite simply you take the juice out of any anxiety that you think or feel, and put it into something else.

That's why you can't concentrate, because the juice (your focus) lies mainly on anxiety; on your symptoms or your thoughts.

If little by little you practice taking that out (taking your attention and focus away from your problems) and putting it into something else - not out of fear, or to cure yourself, but just as a signal to your body saying 'Hey, false alarm down here' - you're gonna be feeling really good.

I mean you have one attention span, one focus of awareness. Whatever you put that into is incredibly powerful. Incredibly powerful indeed.

Make this a philosophy in your life. Attention away from anxiety. When you notice it, fine, no attention inside of it though. Put your focus elsewhere.

It'll try and go back to anxiety, that's ok, it's evolutionary, but guide it like a baby trying to walk. Take it right back out and into some else.

If you have anxiety symptoms that are really hard to live with - great - perfect chance to practice. Sit and read an article. You'll feel fluttery, you'll wanna get involved - no thank you. Nuh uh.

Focus on the words a little harder. Brains being resilient, you be more resilient. No brain we're doing this.

Mind will learn. Mind is your servant. Right now it's bossing you around.

Live this as a philosophy. Take your attention out of anxiety, put it elsewhere. Try and hold it elsewhere, not forcefully as such, but just be firm with yourself.

This will change your life and your study.

You can't do this some of the time, it doesn't work.

You can't put your attention inside of anxiety, and pay lots of attention to it, and then all of a sudden try and drop that to study. You're hard wired not to be able to do that. It's a human defense mechanism to keep you alive.

However if you do it all of the time, it will be successful.

Doing this motivation and concentration will increase as a side effect.

ashy
03-14-2014, 06:04 PM
You can kill two birds with one stone here. To get rid of anxiety and it's symptoms, you must communicate to your body that you don't want or need it. To do that, quite simply you take the juice out of any anxiety that you think or feel, and put it into something else. That's why you can't concentrate, because the juice (your focus) lies mainly on anxiety; on your symptoms or your thoughts. If little by little you practice taking that out (taking your attention and focus away from your problems) and putting it into something else - not out of fear, or to cure yourself, but just as a signal to your body saying 'Hey, false alarm down here' - you're gonna be feeling really good. I mean you have one attention span, one focus of awareness. Whatever you put that into is incredibly powerful. Incredibly powerful indeed. Make this a philosophy in your life. Attention away from anxiety. When you notice it, fine, no attention inside of it though. Put your focus elsewhere. It'll try and go back to anxiety, that's ok, it's evolutionary, but guide it like a baby trying to walk. Take it right back out and into some else. If you have anxiety symptoms that are really hard to live with - great - perfect chance to practice. Sit and read an article. You'll feel fluttery, you'll wanna get involved - no thank you. Nuh uh. Focus on the words a little harder. Brains being resilient, you be more resilient. No brain we're doing this. Mind will learn. Mind is your servant. Right now it's bossing you around. Live this as a philosophy. Take your attention out of anxiety, put it elsewhere. Try and hold it elsewhere, not forcefully as such, but just be firm with yourself. This will change your life and your study. You can't do this some of the time, it doesn't work. You can't put your attention inside of anxiety, and pay lots of attention to it, and then all of a sudden try and drop that to study. You're hard wired not to be able to do that. It's a human defense mechanism to keep you alive. However if you do it all of the time, it will be successful. Doing this motivation and concentration will increase as a side effect.
Thank you very much! I never really thought about how I have control over my mind, but I guess that's true. A lot of times I've felt that I had to fix my anxiety before I can do anything, but I'm going to try to shift my attention and energy to homework and hold down the anxiety till it submits haha. Thank you, I really appreciate your words :) makes me feel that I can at least attempt this :)

jessed03
03-14-2014, 07:34 PM
Thank you very much! I never really thought about how I have control over my mind, but I guess that's true. A lot of times I've felt that I had to fix my anxiety before I can do anything, but I'm going to try to shift my attention and energy to homework and hold down the anxiety till it submits haha. Thank you, I really appreciate your words :) makes me feel that I can at least attempt this :)

You're welcome :) keep practicing and your subconscious will get the message. Best way I've ever seen for helping people escape the anxiety trap.