PDA

View Full Version : My Emotions Seem All Weird After I Spent A Few Days Worrying?

RedRidingHood
03-13-2014, 03:53 PM
I'm really sorry if this seems like some melodramatic teen's whining. Maybe I'm blowing all my problems out of proportion here. I just really need to talk to somebody right now. I realize that what I'm experiencing might not be anxiety or depression, but I would really like someone's opinion on this.

So I'm known by my friends as a hypochondriac. I frequently diagnose myself with horrible diseases or conditions (retinal detachment, rabies, brain cancer, pancreatic cancer, every type of cancer in fact, sometimes I freak out and think I'm going to die without any disease in mind) and spend a period of time just worrying about what will happen to me and trying to prepare myself for death. Most recently, I noticed a mole on my thigh that seemed to have gotten bigger and was growing in an irregular shape, so I began to search it up and realized it was a sign of melanoma. I began reading stories on people whose friends and family have died of cancer, but what really hit me was when I was reading some written by victims of cancer, who knew they didn't have much time left. For some reason, I couldn't stop reading. And it really, really depressed me and made me cry because these people were going to die, and every day there are people in this world knowing they will die. And I never realized until now.
And it scared me because I really believed I was one of these people. I mean I'm 14, you know? I'm not ready to die.
But my parents brought me to a doctor, who told me it was fine, only to come back if it became larger than the back of a pencil.

Ever since then, I've been feeling like my emotions are all weird. At first I thought I was depressed, because I kept questioning the point in life if everyone was going to die. I'm not religious, so I've never really believed in an afterlife anyway, but I wasn't as happy as I usually was. And it scared me to think that I was feeling so down, because what if I would stay like that forever?
But I still laugh and get angry on cue. I just don't feel those things as strongly as I used to. My senses, too, seem a little dulled. It's like my body and my mind are on different wavelengths now. I'm not sure if what I'm feeling is happiness or not, and if I try to remember what anger is like I can't seem to. I'm not sure if I'm feeling anything anymore. Sometimes I get all tensed up like I want to cry but I can't, and sometimes I cry so much for no reason. My mind is just a big mess at times, and at others, empty.

Does this sound like an actual issue or is it just hormones or something I'm just overreacting about?

needtogetwell
03-13-2014, 04:19 PM
Hi there!

You are 14, a hormonal nightmare, you are normal!!!

It's really tough being 14! I remember even though it was a whole lot of years ago. It may have been easier for me!

You are a generation who are completely plugged in. You have access to sooooooo much information, much of which is really beyond your ability to understand. Heck, even adults have a hard time understanding it.

You have access to Facebook, Twitter and the whole wide world at your fingertips! Wow I would say that's a whole lot of information to process. No wonder you are worrying!

So what to do....
1. Get off the computer.
2. Read some books, get your mind elsewhere.
3. If you have a smartphone, stay away from the apps, other than maybe games you enjoy.
4. Talk to your parents....they love you! Whether you think so or not.
5. Concentrate on your schooling. You are likely just starting high school, tough, but make good memories, they will be with you all your life.
6. Listen to your favourite music and sing at the top of your lungs!

Have some fun! You don't need to be worrying about adult stuff.... You will get there soon enough!

Hope this helps a bit....by the way, my son is 14 and I know what it's all about, I get it!!

Cheers!
Pam

raaangah1
03-13-2014, 04:21 PM
Hello, first of all don't worry you don't sound like a whiney teen at all
I'm 18 now, but I remember when I was younger I used to get obsessed with the idea that one day I would die, and would end up crying on end because of it. It sounds obvious but what helps me when I start thinking about something like that is to try and get back in touch with reality-get off the internet to stop reading about the stories, and arrange to meet up with a friend, or give one a ring, and just enjoy having a conversation about something that has nothing to do with your own, or other peoples deaths: or if that fails just try and distract yourself by keeping yourself busy. I hope this helps!