PDA

View Full Version : Self help books?

Maddycat
03-12-2014, 07:45 PM
Hello everyone!

My anxiety levels are through the roof these days. I have panic attacks at the worst moments and constantly feel bad. Migraines, dizziness, shortness of breath, heart burns, you name it, I have those symptoms everyday! I can't really afford a psychiatrist and I don't want to take any meds for now. I tried meditation but my mind keeps wandering into dark places. I need help controlling my mind, so I can finally relax at night. So I was thinking, why not try self-help books! Has anyone tried to read some of them? Did they help at all? Any suggestions? I'm all ears! :)

Srm1135
03-12-2014, 07:56 PM
Although I'm currently going through a very rough patch and plan to read my highlighted passages in these books they come highly recommended. I think if you can apply the techniques properly they are absolutely invaluable. The first is

The ten best anxiety management techniques by Margret Wehrenberg

And

Happiness is a serious problem byDennis Prager

Good luck

amers85
03-12-2014, 08:00 PM
I have read a few books. The secet is a good self help book, also has a movie. The power of now is good. I'm about to start reading 10% happier by Dan Harris, about how he overcame panic attacks.

I love reading, let me know if you find any good ones :)

jessed03
03-12-2014, 08:16 PM
10% hap... Oh, it's already been said.

Maddycat
03-14-2014, 05:41 AM
Awesome, thank you for the suggestions! I took note of all of them and will go to the library this weekend :) enjoy your day!