PDA

View Full Version : Worrying

parishill12
03-12-2014, 04:56 PM
I wonder of anyone can help and give me some advice..
Basically I keep getting heart palpitations and feeling short of breath but my anxiety is making this ten times worse!
I don't know what I can do to control it :(
Help?

Fourteen14
03-12-2014, 05:03 PM
I wonder of anyone can help and give me some advice.. Basically I keep getting heart palpitations and feeling short of breath but my anxiety is making this ten times worse! I don't know what I can do to control it :( Help?

It's a viscous cycle unfortunately.

The shortness of breath and palpitations are often caused by anxiety and the palps and shortness of breath triggers the anxiety ....and so on.

Do feel like you are wheezing or is it that can't quite get enough air?

parishill12
03-12-2014, 05:25 PM
It's hard to explain it's more like something is stuck in my throat and it's stopping me from breathing properly x

Fourteen14
03-12-2014, 05:34 PM
It's hard to explain it's more like something is stuck in my throat and it's stopping me from breathing properly x

This is REALLY common.

I had the same thing for many years, sometimes it feels as if someone has their hands around my throat. I get air hunger as well (like I can't get enough air).

I know a few people who actually cut their food into tiny pieces because they are afraid something will get stuck in the throat.

In actual fact, the throat isn't any smaller, it normally stems from the muscles in the upper chest and neck tightening due to subconscious tensing of the muscles (if your shoulders drop when you consciously relax them) this is usually a sign that it's related to stress.

NixonRulz
03-12-2014, 05:47 PM
I wonder of anyone can help and give me some advice..
Basically I keep getting heart palpitations and feeling short of breath but my anxiety is making this ten times worse!
I don't know what I can do to control it :(
Help?

You are also taking short shallow breaths and this is common with people that have anxiety

Breathe normally and watch your stomach rise and fall

That will stop the palpitations