PDA

View Full Version : Smoking cigarettes causes panic attacks

tezbag
03-11-2014, 05:42 PM
As I have recently noticed my panic attacks are 7 times more brutal when I'm smoking my hourly cigarettes.
I asked one of my friends about it she stated that's the whole reason she quit smoking over night.
What are your thoughts on this subject?

Sosickofthis
03-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Well i usually smoke a cigarette when my mind is going crazy and it helps me calm down. I guess we are opposites

BrookeLynnnn
03-11-2014, 05:51 PM
That's why I quit smoking. Still dealing with anxiety but I don't chance making it any worse!! Lol

Enduronman
03-11-2014, 06:29 PM
I have been chewing tobacco for 32 years..
I am exposed to 4 times more nicotine than that of a cigarette, for hours at a time..
It does not, nor had it ever, increased my chances of an anxiety attack or increased anxiety..to my knowledge..
Of course, considering that I started chewing tobacco at the age of 14,..then I really have nothing to "gauge" it by...
Although I can tell you that when I quit, for 9 months..I forgot everything including how to sign my own name...yes, true.
Nicotine is also being used, with great successes, to treat alzheimers patients oddly enough,..in certain studies, because it miraculously gives them their short term memory back.... Well, that's weird...Yet one drop of pure nicotine (supposedly) can KILL you....explain that..hmmm...
Well, I think I've had quite a few "drops" of nicotine in my time...and never died..
And my BP is ok, and they did a head MRI and found 0 and I have 0 cavities either....well that's odd too...(yes I am being sarcastic)...sorry.

SO, does smoking a cigarette (CAUSE) panic attacks?
The answer is NO

your mind causes panic attacks friend,..all in your thoughts. Weird.

Have a great day or night!!!

Enduronman... :)

Kabukicho
03-11-2014, 07:24 PM
Yup. Cigarettes and coffee--both stimulants, both elevate my anxiety. They don't give me panic attacks per se anymore, because I've largely trained myself to resist those panicky sensations. But they elevate my anxiety and I try to avoid them.

tezbag
03-11-2014, 07:25 PM
It dose for me, But as many people have said everyone id different. I'd show links to studies that people who smoke cigarettes can cause more panic attacks in someone who already has a panic/ anxiety disorder. But due to my own paranoia I blocked Google and all search providers. -_-

tezbag
03-11-2014, 07:26 PM
However maybe I should have worded this better. I've noticed smoking has caused me to have more panic attack verses when I do not smoke.

Kabukicho
03-11-2014, 08:31 PM
You...blocked Google? (Not judging, just wondering how one functions on the Internet in general without Google.)

tezbag
03-11-2014, 08:38 PM
Hypochondria I convinced myself I'm dying from rare illnesses.

Kabukicho
03-11-2014, 08:43 PM
I totally get that. I have mild hypochondria symptoms and, certainly, Googling them rarely helps. Good luck and best wishes. :-)

*Hug*

inneedofhelpplease
03-11-2014, 11:28 PM
I quit smoking "cold turkey" due to my anxiety. It's been almost a month cigarette free. But I do notice when I have my good days without anxiety I crave nicotine...bad