PDA

View Full Version : HEALTH ANXIETY EXPOSED - Living With Risk

Pages : 1 [2]

Jenn3030
07-01-2015, 12:19 PM
I can't even explain how amazing this site and in particularly this thread... I have only made it through the first 2 pages and I am amazed to see that I seriously am not alone with this health anxiety. Thank you so much for everyone's contributions to this.. I cannot wait to finish reading through this...

Jenn3030
07-01-2015, 12:22 PM
Maybe you could try to shed some light on anxiety itself and what the disorder does to our health. I am very sensitive to all meds that I have tried, and quite frankly have a hard time trusting any of the potential side affects. I am getting ready to go back on 5 mg of Lexapro, (half the average dose). I stopped last time because I was increased to 10 mg and went haywire, but up until this point it worked better than any other, and within 3-4 days I noticed a considerable difference. I catch myself worrying about my heart to the point of a panic attack-you know, all the shaking, nervousness and waking up like I just got done working out, etc. My counselor told me the other day that it is worse for my heart not to be on a baseline med because "bad" anxiety itself is not good for the body and/or the heart. This has almost become a game with me, as I'm sure many of you can relate to. It sure would be nice to find that common ground again, but it seems futile at this point-I'm a new man, and think the old one is gone forever. And, not to mention the health of relationships. My wife and kids have been affected by this, noticeably, and there is such a disconnect between my wife and I that everything just feels dead. I am at a total loss with this, because it is really no one's fault. Any input? Sorry if I hijacked this, as it is not my intention. (Now my 14 year old, beautiful little girl is starting to deal with this same stuff, and it makes me feel so darn guilty-she had her first panic attack in school the other day and we were called by the guidance counselor! This just robs you of everything, and it is a constant battle to not let that happen, along with fighting through everything else!) Thanks all!!

Michael, I understand where you are coming from... It certainly does rob you of everything.. I have alwasy been an active person and I can't even bring myself to go to concerts, dinner or anything else for fear that something is going to go wrong with my heart. My relationship is defintely strained and I hate it. I want my old self back, I just don't know how to get there anymore...

dwizzite
07-06-2015, 11:04 PM
Forteen14,

You make a great point about risk. Some people freak out in an airplane but are OK in a car. The irony is that cars are more dangerous, but it's a learned behavior. I remember when I went through NLP training, we learned that phobias and lifestyle inhibiting anxieties are decisions. When we ask ourselves "When did I decide that?" We can take the power away from the anxiety and get that power back for ourselves.

livewell3
07-09-2015, 04:30 PM
Great perspective in this feed!

missedlink
07-24-2015, 11:36 AM
The key is to stay positive!! :)

Figment79
09-08-2015, 04:54 PM
hello, I have also been experiencing health anxiety for what I would consider the second time in my life. the first time was pretty short, once I had an MRI that was clear, I was over it, and it hadn't returned until this summer, when I started having headaches seemingly out of nowhere. went to the doctor, my bp was high, so I needed to go back on my meds, which I hadn't needed in a very long time (it was under control with a good diet and regular exercise), so I do. the bp goes down some, but i notice some dizziness, so we decide to switch meds to valsartan, the genric form of diovan, which produced even more side effects, increasing the dizziness, but adding fatigue as well. around this time i decided to stop using lunesta to help me sleep, but that went pretty well, as i can now get to sleep where before i'd just stay awake staring at the ceiling. headaches continued, got a CT scan, all clear, so my worries should be over, right ? wrong. now my neck hurts, and i get pins and needles in my hands and feet, and the dizziness has gotten worse and it affects me to the point where i am walking a tad out of whack, i notice that my coordination is off, making typos, missing lightswitches, grabbing the wrong remote, etc. also having some sort of aphasia, and my brain is running a million miles per hour. long story short, its gotten so bad, that as i was taking my contacts out, i smiled and noticed that it wasn't 100% symmetrical, it was maybe a hair off on one side, and my first thought was " i think i had a stroke". i'm losing it.

JohnC
09-22-2015, 04:36 AM
Just bumping to top. peace all

Davit
09-30-2015, 07:10 PM
I like this site, but I'm going to throw you a curve to think about. What if health is the reaction not the trigger and a core belief is the trigger. What if memory says you have MRSA not that some one shook your hand? What if shaking your hand triggered your memory, wouldn't changing memory reduce the fear reaction? If you don't have MRSA in your memory you can't think you have it. So this is just my opinion but I think Core beliefs are the cause.

snowberry
10-10-2015, 05:38 AM
Anybody get cold patches on their skin from anxiety? I've been getting them on my legs last three days, primarily my left calf.

Ha! It's back again, only up and down the leg with twinges, and occasionally my tailbone and arm. I wonder why my body decides to produce certain sensations, and then changes them, and then changes them again.

JohnC
10-10-2015, 06:31 AM
Hi Snowberry, It's crazy how the human body works and then throw in the all powerful human brain with a little anxiety and ya got a really crappy feeling. Good luck to you and peace

RoderickLariviere
12-01-2015, 12:38 AM
I have health anxiety, depression and sleep disorders.. I feel better by taking meds and proper therapy..
Living with anxiety is quite tough.. Go outside and start enjoying life..

JohnC
01-27-2016, 06:25 PM
Just giving this a bump because it's worth it :)

lissander12
01-27-2016, 08:01 PM
I have dealt with anxiety since I was young. I am just now coming to terms with it, and trying to learn how to cope. I go through spells where, for months I will be dealing with constant panic attacks and fear, which tends to leave me depressed. A couple of months ago I started having PVCs (premature venticular contractions). I used to get them from time to time, but this time they came and never left. I would have them 24 hours a day every few beats. They would make me super light headed and unable to focus on anything else. Finally after a week of having them non-stop I started the process of seeing a doctor and then a caridologist. We are in a medication trial period, but I have become a nervous wreak. I have become the biggest hypochondriac. At night I will often get panic attacks that I just can't seem to get out of. There is a completely rational side of my brain that knows it is all in my head, but I can't stop the nervousness and panic attacks from happening. It has been taking over my life.

JohnC
01-28-2016, 05:00 AM
I completely understand Lissander12 , welcome to the forum and you can rest assured that you are among friends. Please take the time and go through this sticky, its worth it my friend. I am a HA sufferer myself for 30 years.

snowberry
02-09-2016, 03:55 PM
Sometimes I get sharp abdominal pain to the right of my navel (my right). I've had it before, several times, over a few years maybe. The pain increases if I poke it. It comes and goes but it seems to be related to my bathroom movements. Sometimes it causes my lower back to ache a little too, and sometimes it itches. If I laugh real hard I feel like a bubble sensation in that area, like a bubble popping.

I brought it up recently at the doctor, and she ruled out appendicitis because the area is soft (she felt all over my stomach, didn't feel anything out of place). She suggested a 'bowel spasm' or something but I dunno. I'm wondering if maybe it's muscular? I mean, depending on which side I sleep, it seems to change if I feel it or how I feel it.

I'm sorry to bring it up with doctor internet...the thing is, it's hard getting an appointment at that place. I just wondered if anyone had felt something similar, ever?

Foxes
03-03-2016, 04:50 PM
New to this forum.
Suffer from health anxiety and currently recovering from bad episode.
Am on Citalopram but not sure I'm on right dose.
Having CBT with great therapist but worried about what will happen when that finishes.
This thread is great, it's the first one I've found specifically about health anxiety and can identify with many posters.
It's those 'what if' thoughts that are the bain of my life.

dutchintexas
03-17-2016, 03:05 PM
This is an awesome thread!!!

I'm currently dealing with anxiety related to a surgery. I had to have dental implants done...I know seems super minor but freaked me the hell out. So my anxiety is all over the place. I have to now wait until May to see if the surgery was a success and to get my crowns. I'm currently dealing with awful flipper denture appliance and it really makes me anxious to go outside. I'm only 30 and I feel this really affects my life :(

James Waide
04-11-2016, 06:02 PM
I am coping with anxiety with the Natural pen. It has been a God Send.
I got tired of the "happy pills" and knew there had to be a all natural remedy for anxiety.
Try it 1685

Marie Lends
01-16-2017, 02:59 AM
Really helpful thread. Thanks.

hellofriend22
05-05-2017, 02:11 PM
Health anxiety is the worst. Sometimes symptoms are there but most of the time we just work ourselves up to the point of doom. Really it's about managing it. Luckily alot of options out there for this. Keep us posted

lgrass94
05-10-2017, 04:47 PM
hi there,

what would you suggest that could perhaps help me alleviate my constant, crippling fear of myocarditis?

i have tried and tried to work out WHY it bothers me so much, and is always on my mind, every day, probably once every hour!

ive tried asking myself why i am worried about it, as its considered rare, and also its more probable to develop a form of cancer or leukemia than this infection! yet i dont ever have them diseases in my mind.

i probably live through 3 viruses a year, maybe 4. They are usually 2 weeks in length and not massively problematic in terms of symptoms.
just when i think the thoughts had slowed down, eased up, a virus will come around and im back to square 1 again!

ive tried the route of a and e everytime ive had a virus or infection and they tend to do an ECG, which is usually normal. i cant keep doing this surely? plus its not fixing anything, nor will it protect or shield me from the next virus!

Elies1948
06-30-2017, 10:27 AM
cancer is scary since there is no curable for it. cancer can be deadly my grandmother died from cancer and it took only a few months

MattS.
12-01-2017, 05:32 PM
I got health anxiety for more then 20 years now.I`m 47 years old now. But as a matter of fact I could see signs of it already in my childhood. These memories just came back to me a little while ago. As a kid I feared that someone might poison me, wanted to find something that makes us live forever etc. I started to develop OCD while being at high school.In `97 I experienced my first episode of brain fog which didn`t last very long and I never made much of it back then as I was not really worried about health issues back then. The following years my OCD got a lot worse and then one day I started to feel spaced out got wired sensations headaches and visual problems. These were 24/7 symptoms and only going to bed and sleeping would give me some sort of relief. But then the next morning it was back to the symptoms onslaught. This must have lastet for a good 3-4 month until I found a doctor who put my worries to rest. Back then I was extremely worried that I caught vCJD and that my brain was going to waste. This was at the hight of the mad cow disease scandal in the UK. I used to live in London during that time. Anyway, I attributed the problems I had with bright lights, lightheadedness muscle twitching etc to the fact that my brain was showing signs of that illness. Moved back to Germany and visited several doctors specialized in brain disorders. After visiting one who measured my brain waves and explaining me that my brain was Ok the symptoms disappeared. My next flare up was in 2008 after moving to Japan. My father dies the year before of cancer and I started to worry about stomach cancer a lot. Again same symptoms and after a check up by the doctor I felt better. One thing I noticed though is that my symptoms felt a lot worse then during my first spell. Anyway repeat this at least a couple of time over the next few years, never had any treatment for it and then fast forward to the end of 2014. In December 2014 out of the blue and as it someone flicked a switch I realized again that I was having vision problems and that I felt uncomfortable in bright light. I got mini blackouts which made me forget things for a second. I made mistakes in word finding when talking to someone. My ability to concentrate got worse. Headaches only on my right side of the head. Spaced out feling and other things. My cognition started to decline. Again these are 24/7 symptoms and rarely were there any days when I felt normal. I would say feeling normal were random spells that happened all over sudden and lasted an hour or less and just vanished again. Following conversations became impossible I drifted in and out of them. Well I`m now 3 years into my latest spell and I had in between days maybe even a week where I felt a lot better but in general I`m on a downward slope. I can`t concentrate at all, I can`t tolerate loud noise at work anylonger, makes me totally nervous, same for to many things going on at once. But yeah my inability to concentrate is at a new low. yesterday I thought I`m loosing it because of it. The mistakes I make at work becoming more frequent and my mind is not as sharp as it used to be. Guess what I`ve been worrying about for the last 3 years- dementia. Somehow I feel like my symptoms very much match this terrible disease especially Lewy Body Dementia but then my doctor said it`s very unlikely. But I know this is a disease that can`t be diagnosed by MRI or any blood test. To make matters worse every time I read it up on the internet I feel like I`m getting worse. Just like a few days ago, I felt my memory got again a little worse and I started to check for it online in regard to dementia and now I`m a total wreck again. But how do you tell yourself it`s all fine if your symptoms are there everyday without a break. All the doctor said was "find a way to relax".Easier said then done especially if you reached a point where you are not sure anylonger if it is really only health anxiety or the real thing.

dylansdad
06-23-2018, 01:39 PM
10 years ago I worked with a good psychiatrist about anxiety and depression. I became basically stable and stopped seeing him, due to price, around 2013. Last Saturday I had a 4 hour serious vertigo attack! Since then I have had serious general anxiety with all the physical components and wild thoughts of fear and wanting an immediate answer. I contacted my psychiatrist and he only had a few minutes, since I am not a current client. He said it was probably about abandonment issues. Fine, but the anxiety is still going crazy. And he is on vacation. I do not know what to do. How do you handle ongoing anxiety? I have used walking, sometimes in loops in the house to calm the body. Evidently, a big trigger was pushed last saturday. It has been a tough year. First I got thyroid cancer, very tired for weeks, and then tinnitus like you wuold not believe. Now vertigo! I think I am terrified of what might happen next to my body without my control. How do I get out of this mess?

Ponder
06-23-2018, 02:12 PM
10 years ago I worked with a good psychiatrist about anxiety and depression. I became basically stable and stopped seeing him, due to price, around 2013. Last Saturday I had a 4 hour serious vertigo attack! Since then I have had serious general anxiety with all the physical components and wild thoughts of fear and wanting an immediate answer. I contacted my psychiatrist and he only had a few minutes, since I am not a current client. He said it was probably about abandonment issues. Fine, but the anxiety is still going crazy. And he is on vacation. I do not know what to do. How do you handle ongoing anxiety? I have used walking, sometimes in loops in the house to calm the body. Evidently, a big trigger was pushed last saturday. It has been a tough year. First I got thyroid cancer, very tired for weeks, and then tinnitus like you wuold not believe. Now vertigo! I think I am terrified of what might happen next to my body without my control. How do I get out of this mess?

Try walking in a straight line rather than circles. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Welcome To The Forum.

Dahila
06-23-2018, 04:11 PM
oh jeez no doubts you feeling so down, Is the thyroid cancer curable? My friend had surgery and she is fine for the last ten years. Vertigo, eh man i was living with it for over 2 years and no one could help me, I went through tons of tests, finally they said something is floating in my inner ear causing it and it will eventually absorb and vertigo will be gone, I still have some when I am not careful and to fast fall on the bed especially on right side, few weeks ago I had sinus infection and vertigo is back, It is better now. Tinnitus, I suffer with it and it has nothing to do with anxiety rather my hearing loss. All this is connected Ear Nose Throat....Welcome to the forum
my advice is to see ENT doc then when you walk do not focus on the floor, straight lines are much better :) than circles :)

p1234
06-23-2018, 04:16 PM
Wooow wait - anxiety from vertigo is not really normal anxiety - you can't do anything about it - vertigo is so terrible, so life changing, so disruptive on your life, that anyone would be anxious about it but this anxiety is much more than that - the anxiety from vertigo is AUTOMATIC - even if you don't have a single anxious bone in your body, if you've got vertigo you will probably get an anxiety issue with it - it just happens and its not caused by worry or stress or anything like that, its just a neurological effect on the brain - that dreadful feeling of nausea and you're completely at its mercy.

Please don't treat it like normal anxiety. With vertigo you just have to take the right medication and try to relax and not think about it and do whatever works for you to try to get it to settle down quickly.

I've been clear of vertigo for 7 years or so - I'm lucky, but I did a lot of stuff to stay clear, possibly stuff not accessible to some - but what I;ve said above was definitely true for me, and occasionally I get towards the edge of that cliff and I know its happening - all I can do is stop whatever might have caused it and try to relax and forget about it, go to sleep, etc. So far so good but I'm always just a few steps away from that edge