PDA

View Full Version : What is it about holidays that's so stressful when you have anxiety ?

Applecherry
03-11-2014, 12:37 PM
Is it that you are supposed to feel happy when you don't?

Today is my birthday, I've already had one panic attack over it, when healthier I'd enjoy it more. :(

Christmas sucked too. *sigh*

I should be happy having celebration with family.. I'm mad at myself for stressing so much. :(

NixonRulz
03-11-2014, 12:42 PM
I had a kick ass panic attack when I was 20ish on a Thanksgiving day

Of course I was not happy enough about that so I talked myself into not going to Thanksgiving dinner the following year since I felt so anxious, I was sick

But it got even better!

I then associated ALL holidays and family gatherings to my panic attack so I just avoided everyone on every holiday

What the hell kind of life I allowed myself to lead

It just sucked. Anxiety sucks.

And happy birthday

Don't let this get to you today. Just own it.

acetone
03-11-2014, 12:56 PM
Happy Bday.

Applecherry
03-11-2014, 12:58 PM
Well thanks for the happy birthday, though I feel the awkwardness of this considering the weekend.

Anyway, I'm still upset over the attack I had trying to sleep last night, I woke up after five hours, felt like shit, and anxious, couldn't stop yawning, I stayed up but after a while still felt drowsy, then got to thinking about my birthday as I got in bed, worried is have an attack as I did last year. The butterflies rises In my stomach, I felt weird as I tried going back to sleep..i did drift off but then woke up again with adrenalin at the pit of my stomach.everything felt scary and hazy... So I got up, it's still on my mind. Don't know why I seem to be flipping out so much again lately :( I haven't been this bad in a year with this shit, I'm so tired of it.

Applecherry
03-11-2014, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the happy b-day.

NixonRulz
03-11-2014, 01:08 PM
Well thanks for the happy birthday, though I feel the awkwardness of this considering the weekend. Anyway, I'm still upset over the attack I had trying to sleep last night, I woke up after five hours, felt like shit, and anxious, couldn't stop yawning, I stayed up but after a while still felt drowsy, then got to thinking about my birthday as I got in bed, worried is have an attack as I did last year. The butterflies rises In my stomach, I felt weird as I tried going back to sleep..i did drift off but then woke up again with adrenalin at the pit of my stomach.everything felt scary and hazy... So I got up, it's still on my mind. Don't know why I seem to be flipping out so much again lately :( I haven't been this bad in a year with this shit, I'm so tired of it.

You know someone else said something similar the other day about the adrenaline rush while you are sleeping

I have no idea why, but as much of a bad place I was in, that never bothered me for some reason anywhere near as much as when I felt it coming as I was awake

And that's exactly what brought it on again this year. Last year's attack

Once you started down that path, one second too long usually gets you spiraling

Don't you love how generous Anxiety is so it gives you a birthday present every year?

And it's still on your mind because you are beating yourself up because you thought you could have done better

Perhaps you could have. Maybe a good learning experience

Next year figure you had two birthdays with an attack and nothing serious came of it

Finish this day strong

Applecherry
03-11-2014, 02:20 PM
When you're sleeping it can be pretty bad too (sleep paralysis).

I know that the time change isn't helping anything, like having jet lag from an hour taken away.

The worst part I feel right now is that nothing seems to be working too well to calm me down. My old reliables, sleep and exercise.. well, sleep isn't helping, exercise has just made me feel more tired and fuzzy, and I can't even really feel like doing a hobby or what not right now. I just can't get into it. I feel this bubble of worry around my head I can't pop, how do I pop it?

:(

Applecherry
03-11-2014, 03:08 PM
^lol thanks for that, very cute.

..Christmas..can feel a bit suffocating. Food, presents.. sometimes it's really awesome, when you don't have anxiety though, same with birthdays. :)

Cullingford
03-11-2014, 03:16 PM
Hey Apple! happy birthday.:)