PDA

View Full Version : Panic Attacks Cant Breathe Need Meds PLS Help ( THIS POST IS LONG BUT PLS READ)

ajl
03-11-2014, 02:07 AM
THIS WILL BE VERY LONG I APOLOGIZE...

Hello Everyone. 1st let me tell you abt. my anxiety issue (the reason I have asked my Dr. to give me meds for anxiety or to rule out anxiety). Short version.. I can not breathe.

It's hard to explain, I get this feeling like I want to take deep breath (idky) an when I try it feels like my lungs are not expanding to the extent they should be an that I'm not getting my deep breath I'm craving. So I keep tryin for this deep breath an mayb if I'm lucky abt. 1-10 tries I will get this deep breath & its a relief. However, it just starts right back again an the process starts over. Not gettin the deep breath make my lungs feel tight an uncomfy an its harder to breathe almost like breathing threw a straw but maybe not as bad as that.

I have fully freaked out over this, at one point this happened to me every day all day for 8 months straight. (2009) now its down to mayb a few days a week or more. Before when this began (2009) I would have full blown panic attacks cuz it scared me so bad. Now sadly I'm kinda use to this feeling so I dont allow myself to freak out like that anymore if possible. However, there has been a many times where I felt as tho I was goin to lose control of my cool an go full panic attack. (is not being able to take a deep breath a panic attack in itself?) Also being Hot or Sweating when I dont think I should be. (NO rapid heartbeats NO hyperventilating like the need a paper bag like u see on tv shows)

Things that I have noticed that bring this feeling on..

1.hot weather (90s and up)

2.Muggy weather (the kind the air just feels so thick u can cut threw it, this is the WORST an most frighting to where I have to avoid rooms that have no ac etc or its instant I can not breathe & panic)

3. Nervousness or Anxiousness? (say when you know your gonna see that crush of yours around the corner or doin something new for the 1st time or in my case the 1st million times)

4. Not goin to sleep at a reasonable time. ( I'm a night person but if I stay awake for mayb 12hrs+ it makes me not breathe right an in turn this effects my sleep. after being awake long periods, when I do go to sleep I will stop breathing as I start to doze off then I wake gasping for air, then repeat, repeat, repeat. untill I'm out cold)

other things that accompany this feeling of not gettin that deep breath are yawning an sometimes belching. or the feeling of having to yawn but I cant actually complete the yawn so it leaves me yearning to yawn. Being Hot an/or Sweating

Treatment/tests that I have had:

breathing treatment (2009 in the ER) didnt work, ER said it was asthma

inhaler (2009 prescribed by the ER) didnt work

xray of lungs (2009, ordered by the dr i had then) clear, he said nothing wrong with my lungs/not asthma

blood work (2009 ordered by the dr i had then) perfect results nothing wrong there

Xanax 2.5mg as needed (2009 ordered for panic by dr then) did NOTHING Id take 1,tried taking 2, my panic continued anyways

complete PFT (2014 hospital ordered by my dr.) results said my lungs were 100% ok. Ruled out Asthma.

Echo (2014 hospital ordered by my dr.) I dont have these results yet

So ..Dr. I have now prescribes me PAXIL. Pharm. gave me generic 10mg a day. I didnt get satisfactory answers from my dr. on side effects so I googled it when I got home. You prob. already know the results of that search. (weight gain 10,20,even 40lbs between a cple mos.-1yr of use, dependency w/wicked withdraw no libido, or inability to orgasm)

**As of currently I refused to take this PAXIL

Heres some info abt me. I'm 33yr female, single, 5'3" and 170lbs (I cant seem to ever lose weight an I'm currently the biggest Ive ever been in my life including pregnancy weight) Diabetes runs in my fam. (gma, mom,bro,2 uncles, neice. i was not diabetic in 2009 idk abt now)

My Concerns with this PAXIL is it causes significant WEIGHT GAIN, (my dr. excuse is ALL meds have side effects) then me at 170lbs should prob. NOT take something that can cause me to gain MORE weight, an being prone to diabetes gaining weight seems legit a BAD idea. Not to mention I am very self conscience abt my size as is an gaining more weight would only in my opinion shatter what lil positive self image I currently have of myself.

WITHDRAW is a scary issue I know many addicts of drugs an how drug dependency plays a roll in their life an I have seen 1st hand withdraw.

LIBIDO- well theres an obvious one huh. I'm 33 yrs old single, I like sex, and I'd like a FULLY functional relationship if I ever do meet mr. right an I want to be able to (pardon my language) get off. It does worry me that not wanting sex or not being able to finish in the end will have a crippling effect on any future relationship I may have. And guys I'm a hopeless romantic always lookin for love so stayin single will only depress me further. (yes I believe I have depression an It has been said I may have it to what extent I never found out but depression I can deal with, not being able to breathe I can NOT)

So, We are said to be coming up on the hottest summer in history, so you guessed it that = Hot Weather & Muggy Weather 2 things that scare me with this anxiety breathing problem. Did I mention that I work in housekeepin an the room I spend 8hrs in has 2 HUGE dryers that constantly run for that 8hrs which means if its 80 outside you can bet its gonna be 95+ inside this room fact cuz theres a thermo on the wall that shows danger temps. Last summer it was always 95 in there an i work 3rd shift & had breathing issues then, so I'm scared I will lose my job either cuz I wont be able to breathe an I will be forced to quit or I will get fired cuz I cant work in them conditions. hence why I asked my dr. to find out whats wrong with me an put me on some meds.

If youve read this far, thank you, an 2ndly big question of this post.. IS THERE ANY MEDS THAT WILL NOT MAKE YOU GAIN WEIGHT OR LOSE YOUR SEX DRIVE??

I seen Welbutrin is really good for avoiding those 2 issues, however I read that ppl w/anxiety/panic disorder should NOT take Welbutrin as it can increase the anxiety/panic attacks. Any ideas? Experiences ? I'm goin crazy here. My dr. told me that if I will not take the PAXIL, to do research & tell her what i WILL take. But all I find are these 2 side effects on everything an I cant, just cant comprise losing anxiety/panic but gaining these 2 negative side effects as a result. There has got to be another way.

trinidiva
03-11-2014, 06:04 AM
Hi there..welcome!

Trust me, I totally get your worry about starting your med and worrying about all the fun side effects that can possibly come with it. Your concerns were pretty similar to mine..and I spoke to my doc at length about them.

Weight Gain- My doc said Yes....there is the possibility of weight gain. She told me it is usually the case that when you are stressed, you dont eat. When you aren't eating, you will lose weight. Once you get stabilized on the med, your appetite will come back. Big time. I currently take zoloft and I can definitely say that my appetite has picked up. Now it is up to me to regulate it by watching what I eat and exercise. Ive been able to keep my weight right where I want it, but it takes work.
Intimacy- I think this can go either way. Ive heard people say that it hasn't affected them, while for others, it has made a big dent.
Honestly, you really wont know how it will affect you until you try it. I had to try a few before finding a good fit.

trinidiva
03-11-2014, 06:07 AM
Oh and as far as the breathing issues....it honestly could be all attributed to anxiety. It can definitely cause those annoying feelings of not being able to breathe correctly. Have you ever looked into meditation? It will help you to focus more on your breathing.....

needtogetwell
03-11-2014, 06:26 AM
Oh and as far as the breathing issues....it honestly could be all attributed to anxiety. It can definitely cause those annoying feelings of not being able to breathe correctly. Have you ever looked into meditation? It will help you to focus more on your breathing.....

^^^^^^ was thinking the same thing! Meditation is a great thing to help you focus on the now and relax. Let your body do what it does naturally without thinking!

On the topic of meds, keep in mind that the listed side effects are not a guarantee that you will experience any of them. The only guarantee you have is if you don't take them and you need them, you aren't going to get out of this place you are and headed for the place you want to be.

Think of them as the rocket fuel that gets the space ship off the ground and headed for orbit!

You need to decide what sucks less....the place you are in right now....or the POSSIBILITY of side effects.

I wish you success on your journey....we ARE here to help.

Cheers! :)

anxiety-challenged
03-11-2014, 07:48 AM
Hi ajl, I was there, I even asked my family to call 911 when that happened and it's 5years ago.
I have checked my lung and it was totally fine, so most probably yours, too.
So please just stop worrying about your lung in case you do.

From my experience, it's the stiff muscle around your neck and shoulder that make you feel like you are choking.
You need to relax your shoulder.
How about a plan to visit deep massage therapy tomorrow or you can use massaging tools and help yourself, a golf ball is good for massaging your back lying down on your back.

People don't realize that they have stiff muscle if they carry it for long time.
Specially when the stiffness happen on your lower back.
Those muscles are also in depth, and underneath those muscles are very important large veins and nerves.
If blood circulation stop there, your shoulder and neck also get stiff.
Between shoulder blades, along the back bone, all the way to your hip bone, around waist.
You should start noticing you have the points where they are stiff and hurts pretty much when you push hard.
Please try this thoroughly, find your stiffness in and on your whole back side.

Enduronman
03-11-2014, 08:14 AM
It seems as if you have a significant history of refusing to take any of the medications as prescribed, just skimming through, and I wonder as to why you won't give something a chance and time, to actually work?????
AND keep such excellent records of things too????

Some solid advice and suggestions above for sure!!

Have a great day....

Enduronman... :)

Dahila
03-11-2014, 08:23 AM
We can support you but not help, hon you need some meds, then you can work on your strategy, like all of us:)

ajl
04-22-2014, 10:51 PM
Turns out this all could be a heart problem not anxiety at all as I had thought an was to believe by dr. I have seen a Heart dr. an have 2 more appts to go to. I have had an echo an it shows there is abnormal pressure an some thickening in my heart chambers. heart dr assures me it most likely that i have heart disease causing my breathing issues not anxiety. will be finding out very soon & i am terrified that it is my heart think at this point id rather it be just anxiety.